shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeans

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 8:25:52 AM
Author: coda72
Well, I was curious about the Paige jeans, so I looked them up and saw that they are 34 inch inseam! Who in the world has a 34 inch inseam?!? I know I''m short, but I would think most people have a shorter inseam than that. And I don''t want to buy almost $200 jeans only to have to pay to get them hemmed, but that''s just me. I did see that they have some jeans that have a 31 inch inseam, but I must have short legs because my inseam is only 30 inches at 5''2''. I guess I''ll stick to my Old Navy short jeans, the inseam is perfect!
well, i for one am happy to hear that the paige jeans have a 34" inseam. being just ever so slightly tall, i have to look far and wide to find jeans with a longer inseam. i know the grass is always greener on the other side but it seems like it would be easier to have some length taken off than not having them long enough. it''s no fun having jeans that are too short and you can''t add length!
40.gif

yay for 34" inseam!
36.gif

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
belle - you know who else has long inseams? Rock and Rebublic jeans...that''s another brand that I really like, they have some cool pockets!

It''s not always good to have 7" taken off, it depends on the wash of the jeans. When it''s a longer length and there''s whiskering at the knees, to have 7" taken off the whiskering is on my mid calves!
9.gif

Mara, I aspire to get a Chanel jacket one day but for now I''m happy with my Theory jackets - they''re cut is nice and slimming and most important to me - they have stretch!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Nowadays I just expect all jeans to have super-long inseams -- doesn''t even phase me anymore! I think it''s partly because most jeans are made to be worn with boots/heels these days, so they need to be longer. Plus it''s impossible for designers to appease all body types, so I don''t mind that jeans are made for longer-legged women than me and that I need to tailor them. I kind of like having jeans that are tailored just right for me actually. It''s something I never ever did with my cheaper jeans (which were also always way too long for me!) -- I just let those drag on the ground!

But that said, yeah, I''d be happy if the jeans came in a variety of lengths and you could find the one that''s just right for you actually off the rack!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 9:54:37 AM
Author: luckyhonu

belle - you know who else has long inseams? Rock and Rebublic jeans...that''s another brand that I really like, they have some cool pockets!
awesome, thanks for the tip!
36.gif

Date: 1/4/2007 9:54:37 AM

It''s not always good to have 7'' taken off, it depends on the wash of the jeans. When it''s a longer length and there''s whiskering at the knees, to have 7'' taken off the whiskering is on my mid calves!
9.gif
hehehehe...i understand.
though...i still think i would take whiskering at the calves over hemline above the ankles!
39.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I think all jean companies should have short, regular, and long lengths to accomodate more people, but I guess the designer jeans are meant to be exclusive and only worn by a certain few. I will not pay $170 for jeans then another whatever (I don''t even know what it costs to have jeans tailored) for a pair of jeans that fits me when I can go to Old Navy and get the perfect fit, but to each their own.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
most of the more mainstream companies like banana and jcrew etc have petite and regular and long. also AE has short, regular, long. but their longs on me are more like regulars!! i can only wear them with 2" heels! the regular''s are like floods on me. hahha.

33-34" inseam is really not that long...i am 5''7" which is not even really super tall for a gal, and i wear my 33-34 inseam jeans with 3" heels. and that''s it. they skim the ground. sometimes i need a higher heel but not often. but yeah for shorter gals it''s a drag for sure. and yes i agree having to get jeans hemmed significantly does take off some of the look of them. i had a pair of blue cults hemmed, i swear they were like 36 inseam, it was crazy, and the gal took off too much first of all but other than that, the hem ended up being in the middle of the FLARE and they looked so retarded. like it flared out around my ankle them. HATED THEM. and they were like $150 at nordies. expensive lesson. i wore them with flip flops, lol.

it''d be great if the designer jeans all came with a petite option though for sure.

elailla, okay so your hips are 34 and you wear a 28 in paige?? no way! my hips are like 37.5 and i wear a 28 too. how odd!

also not sure if i posted this before but i read recently that when buying jeans...esp with stretch in them...you should be able to get them on but they should be TOO TIGHT when you buy them. because after you wear them for a little bit, they will stretch out. now this is more like in the butt, thighs etc...but obviously if you can''t close the button then yes they are too small. but if you can get them on, get them closed and you aren''t panting like a maniac and they feel a little snug, chances are that''s the right size to buy. the article said if you put them on and they are ''perfect'' right there, they will stretch out to be too big. the paiges i had on in 28 were just a wee big snug but more perfect. but i knew i was definitely not a 27 waist wise. i wonder if you are really a smaller size ela?

in terms of more expensive vs less expensive jeans...i have and love both types. but i can definitely see a quality difference in some of the more expensive jeans vs cheaper. not all of them..some of the more expensive ones don''t look that impressive...but i notice that my citizens and ag''s don''t wrinkle as much as my $30-40 AE jeans, and they seem to keep shape and their wonderful soft denim feel longer. the AE''s are still a serious staple for me, but i find myself gravitating towards my more expensive brands when i want to look more polished or put together. so i''m trying to get a mix of both styles going so that i have a jean for every occasion type of thing. plus i''m hoping to snag another paige pair, maybe HH on ebay to round it out for now.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I should try on some Paige 27s if I can find them. I think I always tend to go a little too big with jeans -- I''m always tugging them up! -- but I''m just so fearful of wearing jeans that look painted on. But yeah, when I''m spending this much money on jeans, I want them to fit right, for sure!

Wait -- just checked Zafu and it recommended a 27 or 28 in AGs for me and says they run true to size and a 27 or 28 in Paiges but says they run small (the HHs at least), so I think that maybe the 28 in Paiges is right for me after all.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 11:31:16 AM
Author: Mara
33-34'' inseam is really not that long...i am 5''7'' which is not even really super tall for a gal, and i wear my 33-34 inseam jeans with 3'' heels. and that''s it.
Mara, to me 5''7" is really tall! But then I''m only 5''2". And I think the average American woman is around 5''4", so you would definitely be considered above average in the height department. But I''m going to step out of this thread now because I won''t be buying into the designer jean thing.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol coda i know...if you are shorter, 5'7" seems taller but i was just saying in general that i don't feel that tall compared to other gals...plus it seems like everyone i know wears 3-4" heels with their pants around here anyway. so i always tend to think women are taller than they are. i have a friend who is 5'0" and for years i thought she was like 5'5" because she always wore the tallest heels but i never noticed that!! one day she was barefoot and i was like oh my god you are TINY! it was pretty funny.

elailla...yeah i'm curious now to see when you get the jeans if they fit. and if my 28's in LC fit! because i tried 28 in Hollywood Hills and they fit. and i definitely don't have 34.5" hips!! hmmm. hopefully my jeans will be here soon.

i actually pulled out my fave AG jeans, a pair of Legends in a super soft denim dark wash i have had for 3 years. they are still my fave jeans, but now they are too big. they are 29's and they used to be WAY tight on me a while back...and then for a while i couldn't even fit in them. now they are gapping at the back of my waist and i tried to belt them and they bunched. so i just am wearing them beltless so they ride a little lower, which is okay since they are medium rise-ish typically...the legs are okay because they are kind of a wide bootcut, so i think i might try to have them tailored. the butt is okay too since they are butt lifter kind of jeans so even if they are a little big they are still flattering. it's just really the waist and hip area that could use some taking in. when i sit down i have a bunch of material bunching up. anyway my coworker says they look super cute even though they are not tight...so we'll see. the only thing is they do have stretch so even though they looked cute this morning, by end of day they could be way bigger, lol. but i love these jeans! and this wash is definitely not avail anymore so even if i got a new pair of legend's they would not be the same. and this is the softest AG denim i have felt on any of their jeans. don't wanna give them up!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this talk about jeans has me dying to go downtown to try on different brands tomorrow! I usually just stick to my local Nordstrom with their free alterations and all, but they don''t have as much variety. Does anyone know if Saks or Neiman''s provides free alterations?

I own Sevens, Citizens of Humanity, AGs, and Joe''s. I love all of them for different reasons. I''d say that my Joe''s (Honey style) is the SOFTEST and most comfy of them all. Plus the cut makes me look like I have a hiney. lol. I think I''ll give Paige Hidden Hills a shot (up a size!) after reading all the raves here. Has anyone ever tried Blue Cult Buttlifters?? I''ve got a pair sitting in my shopping cart at revolveclothing.com...they''re on sale for $95 down from the regular price of $189!!!! I should just be bold and click the Buy button, esp. since Revolve has such a convenient return policy!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
KristyDarling, I have not tried the Blue Cult buttlifters, but I do own 2 pairs of the Blue Cult Kate style because my fiance says they make my butt look really good. I don''t know what it is about them, they just fit me really well. I have a really long torso, so I like my pants to fit a little higher than most of the low-waist jeans. I think 8" rise is ideal for me. I also have slightly larger thighs for my height so the Blue Cult Kate is PERFECT for me. I got them at Bluefly.com for less than $80. I have them in size 24 (I''m 5''0"). I''m a 25 in Paiges. My 7FAM is 23 (but I think that one''s missized) and a Joes Jeans (one of the skinny fits) in 25.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 7:14:14 PM
Author: KristyDarling
All this talk about jeans has me dying to go downtown to try on different brands tomorrow! I usually just stick to my local Nordstrom with their free alterations and all, but they don''t have as much variety. Does anyone know if Saks or Neiman''s provides free alterations?
I don''t know about Saks or Neimans but I know that Bloomingdales does NOT provide free alterations -- booooo. $20 to get jeans tailored there. No thanks, I''ll stick with my regular tailor for less!

We''re going to be getting a Nordstrom''s here this year finally (outside of Boston) -- yay! Right now, the closest is in Providence, and since you pay clothing tax in RI and not in MA, I don''t like buying clothes out of state if I can avoid it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one pair of Blue Cults that I bought a few years ago, I don''t know about the special butt lifting properties because now they are too big, so it wouldn''t apply, lol..but I have heard that people do love them. I liked them when they did fit me...and I would buy some again...someday!!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
KirstyDarling - Bloomies has a pretty big denim department and free hemming for jeans but if you want the original hem it''s $25 (!!!)

If you like the original hem, I can recommend my alteration lady in the Sunset, she''s on Vicente and only charges $8 0r $8.50 for original hem and does a fabulous job.
9.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 1:30:52 PM
KirstyDarling - Bloomies has a pretty big denim department and free hemming for jeans but if you want the original hem it''s $25 (!!!)

If you like the original hem, I can recommend my alteration lady in the Sunset, she''s on Vicente and only charges $8 0r $8.50 for original hem and does a fabulous job.
9.gif
Hmm, must depend on the Bloomies b/c I called my local one, and they said they don''t do free alterations on anything and that jeans are $20 to get hemmed (didn''t ask about original hem).

Luckyhonu, I want to go to your alteration lady! My place is $15 to get original hem -- but SO worth it
21.gif

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Heehee....I love my alteration lady in SF, however I don't always have time to drive to SF so I found someone who is a couple miles away from my house that charges $10 for original hem which is still fantastic
9.gif

KirstyDarling - If you can find the Paige Hidden Hills runs a teeny bit big - it's the LC that I think runs a bit small.

Gracie1

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 1:12:03 PM
Author: ellaila

Date: 1/4/2007 7:14:14 PM
Author: KristyDarling
All this talk about jeans has me dying to go downtown to try on different brands tomorrow! I usually just stick to my local Nordstrom with their free alterations and all, but they don't have as much variety. Does anyone know if Saks or Neiman's provides free alterations?
I don't know about Saks or Neimans but I know that Bloomingdales does NOT provide free alterations -- booooo. $20 to get jeans tailored there. No thanks, I'll stick with my regular tailor for less!

We're going to be getting a Nordstrom's here this year finally (outside of Boston) -- yay! Right now, the closest is in Providence, and since you pay clothing tax in RI and not in MA, I don't like buying clothes out of state if I can avoid it.

Hi Ellaila, glad to see another Massachusetts person on here. Just wanted to let you know that Rhode Island doesn't have a clothing tax, they are just like Mass, in that clothes and shoes are tax free
36.gif

ETA: This thread totally fuels my shopping addiction. I just recently bought 2 new pairs of Joe's petite, which I love and thought that those would be my last jean purchases for a couple of months, but after reading this thread, I had to order a pair of Paige LC in the dark rinse from eluxury - they should be here tomorrow and I can't wait. If I like them, I will probably order a pair of the Paige Petite denim...oh well, so much for self-control
20.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 3:21:14 PM
Author: Gracie1

Hi Ellaila, glad to see another Massachusetts person on here. Just wanted to let you know that Rhode Island doesn''t have a clothing tax, they are just like Mass, in that clothes and shoes are tax free

36.gif

Really?! Well, whoo hoo then!! Thanks for the good news, Gracie
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh...fun thread! Short and curvy chiming in here, and I actually found a pair of Paige LCs at Nordstrom Rack!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''m not sure which wash they are, but its medium-dark, definitely something I can wear every day. The inseam is LONG though - sadly I''m sick right now, so I''ll have to wait to get them taken up, but they''re such a find I''m sure I can manage
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just went to loehmanns for lunch with my coworker...they had some paiges but they were scattered all over and were all larger sizes. i tried on some ernest sewn which fit fine but were NOT flattering at all to me or my body or my BUTT. so i nixed those. tried on some chip and pepper but the size was too big and it was all they had. so no jeans success at all for me. i did get 2 romeo and juliet tops which is my current obsession, the material is sooo soft and the cut of the shirts are super flattering. they are like long sleeved tshirts but with vintage looking patterns on the front. the best part is they retail for $72 but they have them for $19. and then an eight sixty top that is short sleeved and super cute for layering with an open sweater top or similar...for spring. and then on my way out my eye caught the CUTEST short cord fitted jacket that is in a light olive green and kind of a motorcycle look but corduroy, super cute and only $29! and fit PERFECTLY and looked awesome with my jeans. it'll be great for the weekends. i am so glad i noticed it even though i had to wait in line again..hehee. so no jeans but i did get some STUFF. hehee. so still waiting for my paige's to arrive..!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, Philadelphia also has no tax on clothes and shoes...

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AmberGretchen - congrats on your Paige LCs! They were probably the dark clean, was there a crease as well? I love those!

Woo hoo Mara - you scored at Loehmann''s!
9.gif
Too bad there weren''t any more Paiges - they had some with the Henna pocket a couple months ago which were really pretty.

I love motorcycle style jackets, does it have a banded collar? I love stretch corduroy, I have a black cord denim style jacket that I wear all the time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LH yeah it has one of those collars where you can button it or leave it open. then at the bottom it has the banded style snap too and it zips up and has two pockets, one on either side near the top that have horizontal zippers. super cute!!! they only had one in a small and it fit perfectly!

i saw a pair of hidden hills but they were 32. and there were other randoms like that. boo hoo!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Tried on some Paige LC today and they were a bit too looowwww rise for my taste, and long long long! I know Holt''s has some other Paige styles, so next time I am DT I''ll check them out.

Also tried on two different washes in the Rock & Republic, and liked the darkest wash the best. (both long boot cut). Same size, just different wash, and yet totally different fit.

cheers--Sharon

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I just discovered a seamstress downtown in Porltand, (DZ Alterations) who will hem your designer jeans, and RE-USE the ORIGINAL hem for only $10. And if you are in a hurry, she''ll do it in an hour, no extra charge!

Nordstrom will alter any pants (jeans included) for free if they are full price....but to re-use the original hem, (which maintains the cute fraying etc that is sometimes on the bottom of these long jeans) they charge an additional $18.

I''m 5''5" and I have to have EVERYTHING altered. Not only am I too short for premium denim, but I have a long waist and short legs (gee thanks dad) so my inseam is only 30 inches...ouch! I can alter my own jeans if the hem doesn''t have any cute fraying or something on it that I l ike (I sew) but I''m not good enough to figure out how to "reuse" an original hem. It''s a little painstaking.

Even with 3 inch boots on, I have to alter all my jeans. It stinks.

I do wish the premium denim companies would offer 30 & 32 inch inseams for those of us who are a little shorter. I mean, Victoria''s Secret sells their velour sweatsuits in 30 & 32 in inseams...I buy the 30 and I''m set.

I just bought a pair of the plain 7 for all mankind flares, in NYDark wash, with 2% lycra (basic amber stitching on back) and had them hemmed to wear with my flat shoes & clogs. I have another pair, but they are hemmed to wear with my high heeled boots & shoes, & my Citizens are hemmed for high shoes too.

Jeannine

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diver, I have done that too, with hemming for flats and heels. I mark the tag with an S for shorter so when I am getting dressed I know which are which and I am not trying on the longer ones and having to change them...just a little hint that helped me a lot when I started having multiple pairs of the same jeans that were different lengths.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
divergrrl - I totally know how you feel about getting every single pair of jeans hemmed since I''m 5'' tall.
7.gif

Since you know how to sew, have you seen this website?

http://members.cox.net/reesycakes/originalhem.html

diamondfan - I also mark my pants/jeans with an "S" on the tag so I know which to wear with my flats/heels!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky, glad to know I am not the only one! My hubby thinks I am a bit anal when it comes to certain things...but you gotta have a system that works...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LH thanks for the info about Bloomie''s and Hidden Hills. I''m not anal about keeping the original hem so if they''ll just hem it up normally that''d be good enough for me. Only thing is, with my boy hips and smallish thighs, I *always* need the hips and thighs part taken in (most of my junk is in my waist, yuck) so I''m wondering if Bloomie''s would charge me for that, too.

Mara - congrats on the score at Loehmann''s! I have to get my butt over there someday! It''s just kind of a pain going there, unless I steel myself psychologically beforehand to the chaos and disarray (and feeding frenzy of bargain-hunting women).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh KD the one I go to over in Milpitas is pretty awesome. they keep it pretty well organized, and there is hardly ever anyone there because i typically go on a weekday at lunch. but even then...i was with a friend like 3 days before xmas on a saturday and it wasn't packed either. i have heard that some of the other ones are not as nice as Milpitas so i just keep going there! though today the store wasn't packed but the line did have like 5 people waiting to check out at once.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results