shape
carat
color
clarity

Jean Schlumberger Bud Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mtiba

Rough_Rock
While googling, I came across this forum quite often, but I never found what I was looking for. My girlfriend is obsessed with this ring, but for the price, its too much. A few retailers told gave me possible figures, but I know when it comes time, they will raise the price. Anyways, this is my question, has anyone seen a less expensive version of this ring?

tiffanys-jean-schlumberger-.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Sorry - I don''t have any info on other versions of the ring - but it''s amazing - so intricate and unique!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi mtiba :)

the tiffany Jean Schlumberger bud ring is quite a famous one. i''m not sure if your girlfriend has seen it in real life, but i found 2 things to be true when i held it in my hand; firstly, it''s way prettier in real life than on a computer screen and 2) it''s a very high ring.

the tiffany JS range is MASSIVELY expensive, so i''d suggest that you could have it copied by a jeweler, with variations. it''s an infringement of copyright to have it copied exactly, so you''d need to make some changes. the obvious change for me would be to drop down the head so it sits *in* the shank, rather than on top of it, making it much lower. altho it''s a pretty ring, it''s quite ostentatious and pretty impractical for every day wear, given its height. dropping down the head and changing the way the shank joined the head might be sufficient change to avoid design infringement and make it a much more practical ring.

but a word to the wise - i suspect this is a very difficult ring to replicate, so be careful as to the jeweler you choose!

good luck!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
You might want to check this out with your GF and see if she is OK with a replica of this ring. The JS ring is iconic and she may prefer a different style, if she cannot have the original.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen anyone with this ring on PS, but I want to echo the idea to make sure your GF is okay with a replica. I''ve noticed that many people who fall in love with Tiffany rings fall partly in love because they *are* Tiffany, or in this case JS for Tiffany, rings. If some of the magic would be lost with a replica, perhaps it''s not worth it.

It is a beautiful ring, though. I like Whitby''s idea to drop the head, as it does sit so very high.

Good luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the biggest question is , has she seen this in person and tried it on???

One thing to love the pictures... Another to see it in person and see how high the profile is and how it sits on her hand. Those are all key factors in picking out a ring, setting....

I wouldn''t even try to replicate this, even with changes. It''s an intricate setting, and therefore needs the highest quality benchman, stone setter, craftsman....
2.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I would have to agree with everyone who said not to even try to copy this ring. It will at best be a version of that ring.
There are some other designers she might like. If she likes floral show her

Van Craeynest
Katharine James

mtiba

Rough_Rock
She hasn''t seen it in person, and she can''t seem to find another ring that she wants. She refuses to give up on it. She doesn''t care that its a Tiffany, its just the design that she likes. She came with me to talk to a few jewelers. I showed them a picture, and they said it wouldn''t be a problem.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
She *needs* to try that ring on in person! It looks very high up and she''s gotta see what it looks like on her finger before deciding.

If you do decide to get a replica of the ring, take lots and lots of photos of it for the desinger. That''s what I did.
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If a jeweler says "not a problem" that is not necessarily the case. Be sure that you research any potential custome jewelers to make sure you go with an expert in pave.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Does she want this exact ring with the pave? Or is it the shape of the setting that she likes (with fewer diamonds)? I agree with the others that before she has someone custom make this ring, she really has to try it on.

My ring (see my avatar) is very "tall." I am starting to see other designers doing these "tall" rings -- both in diamonds and colored gemstones. So I think this is a trend in high fashion jewelry. For example, Temple St. Clair (jewelry designer) has an advertisement in this month's Town & Country magazine with a whole series of these tall rings (not on her website, yet, though).

These rings must be sized correctly, and the design must be very balanced, or they will spin on her hand because of the top-heavy nature of the design. So I strongly urge you not to have this ring reproduced by just any jeweler.

Another thing to consider is the day-to-day wearability of this design. They stand out, both physically and visually, so they may not be appropriate for your girlfriend's lifestyle.

What size diamond are you considering for the center stone?

ETA: Here's a link for a "tall" ring on Temple St. Clair's site
Temple St. Clair

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Offhand, I wonder how hard this ring is to keep clean?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 9:26:40 AM
Author: reader

Very hard to keep clean, I would guess.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 10:01:02 AM
Author: sarap333
Date: 3/15/2010 9:26:40 AM

Author: reader

Very hard to keep clean, I would guess.

I would think so - and quite delicate being so high...

mtiba

Rough_Rock
Could anyone give me an estimate of how much it would cost without the center stone?

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Hello there. Tiffany won''t sell either stone or setting on their own. How could they get their full 30% markup then?
2.gif
I think your GF is convinced that this is the only ring for her because she''s working on a 2-D basis. It might be the best looking ring she''s ever seen on screen or paper. Adding the 3rd dimension makes all the difference though (as mentioned already). The nuances of how the metal gleams, rises over your finger, what the proportionality is like etc. can almost be entirely unknown until it goes on your hand. It may seem possible to ''just know'' but it usually isn''t. The profile of this particular ring is most unusual in jewelry today and so there''s nothing to gauge it by. I''d head straight to Tiffany to try on all and any of the styles (taking pictures) and then a good long think before making the final move. Best of luck
1.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I agree that she should definitely try it on, and then I would talk to a very experienced jeweler about recreating something similar (with a lower set head so that it is more practical for everyday wear)

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I know this topic is sort of dead, but I came across this today while browsing estate rings. It looks like Fay Cullen does a version of the Schlumberger Bud Ring. I make no representations as to quality of the piece! They appear to have changed the shank slightly to comply with copyright laws.

http://www.faycullen.com/ring_settings/500/02951md.html

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
The Petroleum Engineer in me thinks that this looks like a drill bit and is therefore...awesome!
9.gif
Not to mention the name Schlumberger!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no way to tell how much this ring would cost to have someone make it. It depends on who you get a quote from. There are only a few really excellent custom designers that are used frequently by
people on this forum.

I would trust Brian Gavin or Leon Mege. Both will have to make changes to the ring. Your gf may not be happy with the amount of changes needed. She does absolutely need to try it on if she has not. I cannot
tell you how many rings I saw a picture of, and loved and then when I tried them on-not-so-much. You will hear that over and over if you read many threads here.

Both above vendors mentioned are reasonable in price. I find Leon''s prices extremely reasonable for the level of quality work he does. For instance, many Tacori rings in 18K are more than what he charges
for many of his pave settings. He is a master.

Your girlfriend would need to decide what element of that ring does she love the most. Then go for that element and let the rest go. She won''t be able to get an exact copy from a reputable jeweler with that skill
level needed. Most who have that skill want their work to be their own and not someone elses.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
You''re right ts44 - that Fay Cullen ring looks nearly identical to the Tiffany bud.. and likely for a lot less money than having to buy stone and setting from Tiffany!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Please do a search for Fay Cullen. Some people have had issues with their customer service.

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
just a second photo
4.gif

brose1.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 1:46:22 PM
Author: risingsun
Please do a search for Fay Cullen. Some people have had issues with their customer service.

+1

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 2:22:46 PM
Author: IndyLady

+1

I had forgotten about this, but yes - I remember some not so great threads about this company too.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2010 2:49:05 PM
Author: Maevie
Date: 4/17/2010 2:22:46 PM

Author: IndyLady

+1

I had forgotten about this, but yes - I remember some not so great threads about this company too.

I''m one of the people who had trouble with Fay Cullen. We were on a low budget and it''s my only ring (no upgrades according to DH), 6 years later and I still don''t wear it often or have an engagement ring that I''m happy with.

There are several companies who can help you design a replica, provide CADs or drawings, and are willing to provide good customer service if something isn''t how you thought it''d be - I''d go with one of those over Fay Cullen anyday if I were lucky enough to have a re-do.

lweber

Shiny_Rock
If the Tiffany is THE ONLY ONE, then your gf will likely not be happy with anything else. Your pictures are lovely. I can only imagine what Tiffany would charge for a ring with that level of detail.

But if she has not actually seen it on her hand, she may change her mind. I am concerned about how high the diamond sets. I wear mine all the time and love being able to do so. However, if it were significantly tall, it would not be comfortable to wear all the time. Do you think she will wear it constantly - she may re-think her choice.

I have a beautiful 2.14 ct princess that I waited years to get. I preferred to not have "something" if it was not THE RING that I wanted. That was my decision, but I just didn''t want to compromise. Not everyone feels the same... Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results