shape
carat
color
clarity

James Meyer Setting with Colored Stone Center Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jsmith8

Rough_Rock
Sorry for so many posts! I hope I''m not overstepping my newbie welcome.
1.gif
I posted a similar thread in the Rocky Talk forum a couple days ago about James Meyer and this setting but haven''t received any responses so I figured I would try here.

I post on another forum as well and was referred to James Meyer by a wonderful forum friend. I was looking on his website and absolutely fell in love with his designs. He is so talented it''s no wonder that his work is in the Smithsonian.

So, I have contacted James Meyer and have obtained more information on a particular setting. There is a waiting list until June. Yikes! So until then I just have to figure out what I want for a center stone and then get it! I''ve been posting A LOT recently about colored stones, their durability, etc because I am on the prowl for the perfect engagement ring, but who isn''t?

Please let me know what you think of this setting, James Meyer and if you''ve worked with him or have any experience with him what it was like (even if it was just a call or email!)-

http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1278.htm

Also, for the important question, the center stone! For the center stone would you do a (Light) Ceylon Sapphire Cushion or would you do a Yellow (Sapphire or Chrysoberyl) Round?

Thank you!

9.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Dude, thats a really nice ring.
Yellow sapphire, intense to vivid, cushion would by my choice.
but chrysoberyl could be good too. Did you look into Jeff White cutting one for you?
Also I know that www.sapphires.ca has a bunch of yellow sapphires of your size shape color and price range. Many say they''re flawless but it is kinda hard to tell with his style of photography. Still worth a look and an email. And he''s taking 10% off everything since the canadian dollar is so strong vs. US and then you get another 5% when you convert your US$ to Ca$.

Jsmith8

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:09:09 PM
Author: VapidLapid
Dude, thats a really nice ring.

Yellow sapphire, intense to vivid, cushion would by my choice.

but chrysoberyl could be good too. Did you look into Jeff White cutting one for you?

Also I know that www.sapphires.ca has a bunch of yellow sapphires of your size shape color and price range. Many say they''re flawless but it is kinda hard to tell with his style of photography. Still worth a look and an email. And he''s taking 10% off everything since the canadian dollar is so strong vs. US and then you get another 5% when you convert your US$ to Ca$.

I have not looked into Jeff White yet. I will do that!

I will check out sapphire.ca as well. It always makes me a little nervous doing business internationally but it''s still worth a look!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I love that setting. I have a James Meyer ring. He was very nice to work with. My vote would be for either the blue or yellow sapphire. Chrysoberyl is a great stone, but sapphire seems more suited to an engagement ring. Here is my ring.

P407049311.JPG

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi Jsmith - and welcome to PriceScope :)

i vote *not* a yellow stone. not against the white gold. i know some people feel that white gold makes a yellow stone pop, but that''s just not my experience - and i *have* a yellow sapphire and diamond ring. personally, i''d go for a blue sapphire with a small diamond as the side stone. or perhaps a ruby if you''re really game.

either way, that''s one STUNNING ring.

jim meyer is a complete gentleman. i''ve only had one thing from him - a plain platinum band - but it''s beautiful and i love it. he''s also a true artist; you''ll definitely be getting something to keep forever getting a ring from him.

good luck with your decision. :)

Jsmith8

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:25:02 PM
Author: whitby_2773
hi Jsmith - and welcome to PriceScope :)

i vote *not* a yellow stone. not against the white gold. i know some people feel that white gold makes a yellow stone pop, but that''s just not my experience - and i *have* a yellow sapphire and diamond ring. personally, i''d go for a blue sapphire with a small diamond as the side stone. or perhaps a ruby if you''re really game.

either way, that''s one STUNNING ring.

jim meyer is a complete gentleman. i''ve only had one thing from him - a plain platinum band - but it''s beautiful and i love it. he''s also a true artist; you''ll definitely be getting something to keep forever getting a ring from him.

good luck with your decision. :)

I''ve thought about that yellow stone/ white gold thing. Jim recommended yellow gold if I go with a yellow stone which I have considered.

A ruby?! I have not even thought of that!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Jsmith, i''ve been trying to post a photo of my yellow sapphire ring, but i cant get it to load. i''ll keep trying

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:31:35 PM
Author: whitby_2773
Jsmith, i''ve been trying to post a photo of my yellow sapphire ring, but i cant get it to load. i''ll keep trying
Yeah ditto what Whitby says. I have a chryso to show you and it won''t load.

So my advice is definitely stay away from James Meyer''s white gold if you go for a yellow stone - especially a chryso. I believe he uses un-plated white gold. I''m not sure if his is alloyed (mixed) with palladium or nickel. Greeny tones in a yellow stone will make the un-plated white gold look more like base metal than any other colour. If you pick a platinum setting it might be a bit better but not much.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''d like a more classic look, go with a blue, if you like having something different, go with the yellow. But if you do the later, I''d suggest (if it can be done) to create a thin yellow gold bezel right around the bezel, maybe even in higher karat gold, so that your stone keeps a nice shade of yellow and that you successfully connect the two.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to have to disagree on the yellow gold/yellow stone thing. Of course it will depend on the exact shade of yellow, but I''ve tried a few of my yellow stones in yellow gold and they just tend to disappear. I seriously considered unplated white gold for my chrysoberyl but ended up going with platinum and yellow gold accents instead.

BrianGavin_Yellow8_121509.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 9:22:09 AM
Author: Kismet
I''m going to have to disagree on the yellow gold/yellow stone thing. Of course it will depend on the exact shade of yellow, but I''ve tried a few of my yellow stones in yellow gold and they just tend to disappear. I seriously considered unplated white gold for my chrysoberyl but ended up going with platinum and yellow gold accents instead.

BrianGavin_Yellow8_121509.jpg
Kismet, don''t know if I said this before, but that ring is an all time stunner!

But that bright white shiny platinum is a whole different ball of wax to un-plated 19kt white gold. I recently "test drove" a 19Kt unplated white gold band which is why I have the opinion I do. That said, I would like to see some chryso set in 19Kt just to see if I''m right.

Jsmith8

Rough_Rock
I found this pricescope thread by ButterBean of her James Meyer leaf and vine in 18kt yellow gold.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-james-meyer-leaf-vine-for-valentines-day.107540/

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was under the impression Jim does plated wg as well. Maybe I''m wrong, but when I was talking w/him, he''d said depending on my stone he would recommend plated or unplated. I''d check w/him to make sure. I think wg w/yg bezel sounds pretty if you do a yellow stone.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
What happens if you do a two tone with plated white and yellow gold metal if you need to get the white gold re-plated?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ok - at this point i'mjust trying this to see if i can get it to load!

i ended up circumventing the white gold/yellow gold dilemma (and i agree - there's arguments both ways, definitely) by whacking a .7 diamond on each side. the band is yellow gold, but you don't see it at all.

cheat's way out, i think
9.gif

ETA kismet - i LOVE your ring! and pls all forgive my horrible little web cam photo - it's all i can do right now...

kareynsChristmasring.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh there is that beauty again. Whitby, you have some incredible rings!!!
30.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
thanks maisie :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP -- WELCOME to PS If it is to be your ering then I would go traditional. So Blue cushion!!! But Blue is my favorite color, and I love cushion cuts. I think that blue just goes with everything. If this is just a RHR that may or may not be worn every day then I would be less traditional and look at some yellow and green stones. I think your setting choice is lovely. HTH

cindy11 -- nice Sapphire and setting!

Kismet -- WOW

Whitby -- nice ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results