shape
carat
color
clarity

JA six prong knife edge vs BGD classic style knife edge

yzhng117

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Firstly, PS has been incredible helpful, so thank you for all of your input! First time poster here, let me know If this is the right place to ask this.

After spending a few months on here, I think I've narrowed down my ideal engagement ring setting to 2 choices, but now I'm in a dilemma...I'm torn between the JA knife edge and the BGD classic style:

JA - http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-handmade-item-2426

BGD - http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

I like BGD's width (2.4mm - 1.85mm) because it's thinner than JA's (2.8mm - 2.0mm). I think it will make the diamond (~1ct) look bigger and pop! However, diamonds on BGD's site are a lot more pricey than JA, so I'm more inclined to purchase the diamond on JA.

I guess my questions are:
1. will the BGD setting be THAT much different and look better than JA? If not, then i'll just get the JA and be done with it.

2. if the BGD looks much better in terms of width, then is it possible to buy the diamond from JA, and ship it to BGD to have it mounted? Any other advice?

I have another dilemma on color (it's the J-color question, i've seen that thread), but I won't annoy everyone again with that.

Thanks a bunch!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This version of the Tiffany style solitaire is gorgeous. It would look amazing with a 1 carat stone. If you type in BGD tapered Tiffany or tapered classic half round, you will see many real life photos of PS'ers who have this setting.

I know this isn't helpful to you, but if my fiancé gave me an option of a JA diamond and setting vs a BGD diamond and setting, I would hands down choose the BGD one even if the diamond was slightly smaller. He also has a very nice upgrade policy.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/tapered-classic-style-half-round-platinum-5540p

yzhng117

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response!

I think i'm set on the classic Tiffany 6-prong (instead of the tapered one).

Do you know if the BGD looks significantly better than JA's handmade (besides a few mm thinner in width)? I feel BGD's website makes the ring looks much more shinny than JA's website, and that's definitely a tipping the scale while I try to be as objective as I can!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also prefer the BG diamond and setting.

I will tell you that both Whiteflash and Good Old Gold carry Tiffany repro settings and also have stones equivalent to BG quality. So I'd compare all the stones within your price category before deciding on the setting.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1442447686|3928631 said:
I would also prefer the BG diamond and setting.

I will tell you that both Whiteflash and Good Old Gold carry Tiffany repro settings and also have stones equivalent to BG quality. [b]So I'd compare all the stones within your price category before deciding on the setting[/b].

Sound advice

yzhng117

Rough_Rock
thanks all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results