shape
carat
color
clarity

JA Hearts & Arrows Worth It?

trackdude

Rough_Rock
Worth it to pay a 15-20% premium for a Jared Allen Hearts and Arrows diamond?
I've learned a bit about cut quality and how it affects brilliance and fire. Now I know what to look for in regards to proper cut parameters. Here are a few diamonds with similar size that fall into GIA 3X and AGS 0. Thoughts?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the 1.20 and 1.21 stones are on the fringe of ideal proportions. The 1.20 is a smidge closer with the 35.5/40.6 combo and is more aesthetically pleasing IMO.

I personally don’t care for the 1.21 and it’s even further on the fringe with a 36/40.6.

But being on the fringe, it will boil down to actual values and not the averaged & rounded data on the lab reports. You won’t get a detailed Sarine report from JA, so the next best thing is an idealscope image which they should provide upon request.

Part of what you pay for with a H&A stone is the assurance that what you are buying is a proven performer. Right now, your other two GIA 3X stones are potential contenders without any assurances. Getting those IS images help gain a little more confidence and assurance (assuming they check out good).

Lastly I might add that if considering H&A stones then you should also consider WF, BGD, Canera and Continental. More times than not WF is the more economical choice of those vendors but not always. Most here believe JA TH aren’t always the tightest H&A stone like these other vendors provide. Also the other vendors offer better upgrade programs than JA.

trackdude

Rough_Rock
Both the 1.20 and 1.21 stones are on the fringe of ideal proportions. The 1.20 is a smidge closer with the 35.5/40.6 combo and is more aesthetically pleasing IMO.

I personally don’t care for the 1.21 and it’s even further on the fringe with a 36/40.6.

But being on the fringe, it will boil down to actual values and not the averaged & rounded data on the lab reports. You won’t get a detailed Sarine report from JA, so the next best thing is an idealscope image which they should provide upon request.

Part of what you pay for with a H&A stone is the assurance that what you are buying is a proven performer. Right now, your other two GIA 3X stones are potential contenders without any assurances. Getting those IS images help gain a little more confidence and assurance (assuming they check out good).

Lastly I might add that if considering H&A stones then you should also consider WF, BGD, Canera and Continental. More times than not WF is the more economical choice of those vendors but not always. Most here believe JA TH aren’t always the tightest H&A stone like these other vendors provide. Also the other vendors offer better upgrade programs than JA.

Appreciate the info! In your opinion, can you tell the difference in real life lighting situations or is it more the satisfaction of having an ideal cut diamond?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing beats IRL and wherever you buy, you should look at the stone in different lighting conditions.

trackdude

Rough_Rock
Nothing beats IRL and wherever you buy, you should look at the stone in different lighting conditions.

What I meant was is there a difference between an excellent cut diamond vs ideal hearts and arrows in real life?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I meant was is there a difference between an excellent cut diamond vs ideal hearts and arrows in real life?

It depends on the specific stone. The issue is that GIA is so broad in the term “excellent” that it’s hard to put weight into. If you spend much time here you will learn that most 3X stones don’t meet the requirements to stand next to a H&A stone without having at least a negligible visible difference. The worse the 3X stone the more difference.

However, there are some that are close. So it really does depend.

Also the degree to which you see imperfection is also enhanced (or limited) by your own visual acuity and attention to detail. I’m not sure about you but I examine nearly everything I purchase with a very critical eye when it’s new. Once I’ve assured myself all is correct I relax and enjoy it unless something happens that would make me question it again (damage, I learn something new, I notice someone else’s perform better, etc).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi @trackdude!

See if there's anything here that jumps out at you (other than "all of them" lol)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results