shape
carat
color
clarity

I've Made Some Mistakes! Please Help!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
juliew0205|1402971903|3694675 said:
I recently ordered a 1.0 ct radiant-cut fancy yellow diamond. Length to Width ratio is 1:25. Origin - natural, Distribution - even, Depth 63.2%, Table 68%, Girdle - Thin to Ex thick, Culet - none, Pol & Sym - Very Good, Fluorescence - None, VS1, Clarity Characteristics - feather. GIA certified.

I ordered it online without seeing it in person (mistake #1). I'm a trusting person and believed the owner of the jewelry store when he told me that it has a lot of sparkle and is beautiful. Since placing the order, I have done tons of reading (mistake #2 for not doing this first) on fancy color stones with a radiant cut. I am now worried that the depth (63.2%) is too shallow, and won't have the sparkle that I want. I am also a little concerned about the girdle thickness.

It will be set in a white-gold halo setting surrounded by white diamonds (1.15 tcw), in a yellow-gold basket & with yellow-gold prongs.

They offer a no-questions asked return policy.

Do you think the depth and girdle width will be a problem?

Thanks for your help

In isolation, I think the depth is a manageable issue. The color distribution on this stone is poor, at least from this photo. In a yellow diamond, I would want consistent color saturation. When you get any type of dirt or a smudge on top or underneath this stone, its sparkle factor will be far more diminished than what is normal and acceptable, and that's where depth will hurt the appearance too. Honestly, I would consider looking at other stones before you're more invested in this one. On the positive side, I like the shape and the setting. I can't recall who, but someone on this forum just posted a yellow diamond in a stunning setting with a very intricate basket. Might also be worth a look.

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your comments, I appreciate it. All I can hope for is that it's a terrible photo and the actual stone is much, much prettier.

I still welcome comments about the stone and setting.

It will still be 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before I get it. I will post a pic and give a description when I get it - and whether or not I keep it.

Thanks again,
Julie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also note with closed cup settings like that, dirt and moisture collect in there = germs = nasty smell.

. . . not to mention your gem will always look hazy and unclean.

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL, I agree that it will probably look bad if I can't clean it properly - didn't think about the germs & smell, though. The reason I'm not having the jeweler cut a hole in it now is because if I don't like the ring, and the setting's been altered, I can't return the setting. I would be left trying to find a diamond to fit it. Instead, if I keep the ring, I will take it to the local jeweler's and have them do the work. Just hope it all works out :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the jeweller is sourcing both the diamond and setting for you but it sounds like they are from different places? I wouldn't sweat the setting for now; settings are very easy to find but not so for the FCD.

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono -

I believe the jeweler has a supplier that he's getting the setting from - I know he didn't have it in stock. I'm not sure how the finances work on their end - I paid for the stone and setting separately (my choice, not theirs).

Ithanks,
Julie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally you would have the stone sent to you first (minus
The setting) for your approval. Once you've seen the stone and decided
You liked it them you would have the jeweler put it in the setting.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of getting yourself all worked up worrying, why don't you just wait until you see the stone?

In the meantime, here is a Fancy Yellow grading chart from NCDIA (The Natural Color Diamond Association (NCDIA)'s mission is to educate and promote global awareness and desire for natural color diamonds.) The thing to remember is that the grades are ranges just those for colorless diamonds.

Oh, and I wouldn't choose a closed setting either. My Tiffany Fancy Yellow has a basket setting and it's driving me crazy that I can't easily clean it (with toothbrush and liquid soap) like my e-ring where the pavillion is totally accessible.

ncdia_yellow_diamond_grades.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
JulieW, can you return the setting?

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
Thanks all, for your comments.

Tyty333 - I realize now that's what I should have done. I've learned my lesson!
cflutist - you're right, I just need to chill. It might wind up being the ring of my dreams. And if it's not, I'll just send it back (and then turn around and do it the right way!) Thanks for the chart. It's very informative.
pregcurios - I don't see why I can't. I'd either have to take it to the local jeweler's to have them remove the stone, or I might have to send the entire ring back to them & then wait for them to ship the stone back to me.

Hope to hear from others as well!

Thx, Julie

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
I got my ring today, and all I can say is Wow!! There is a lot of brilliance and scintillation that does not show up in the photos. I think the setting is perfect for the stone. I plan on heading to my local jeweler's to have them verify that the stone in the ring is the one in the GIA report, and to inquire about placing a hole in the bottom of the basket.

Here is a pic that I took this morning:

_19571.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julie,
The best way and most accurate way to verify the diamond is to have it removed from the mounting. Your jeweller needs the diamond to be loose to get an accurate measurement with his/her calipers (LxWxD) and look at it under high magnification to follow the inclusion plot. I would not have your local jeweller cut the hole in the cup, but the online vendor who sold you the setting to do so because if the setting somehow becomes warped, damaged or melees fall out, you have no recourse whatsoever.

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono -
You make some good points about the identification of the diamond, and altering the basket. Not sure what I'll do.
Thanks for your input,
Julie

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks pretty nice to me :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a GIA report and your stone has come from a trusted supplier (and I think I know who it is from the photo), then I wouldn't bother getting it verified.

In terms of putting a hole in the cup .......... not sure I would do that. Ask a jeweller for advice BUT I've never had a problem with a closed back basket so long as you keep the ring clean. Normally a quick go in an ultrasonic machine will get the water in and around the diamond and keep it clean. If you feel you have to do something then I would suggest having the basket pierced with some small filigree detail but this in itself can create gunk inside the ring.

I'm glad you love your diamond - not just sit back and enjoy your ring. It's lovely.

juliew0205

Rough_Rock
Thanks LD, I appreciate your response. I have decided against having the basket altered. I agree that frequent cleaning in an ultrasonic is the way to go.
And, I'm enjoying my ring immensely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results