shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve got a new friend!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
First, don''t kill me....my camera is broken so I can''t endulge you will photos just yet.

FI brought home what looks to be a jack russel terrier mix (not sure what he''s mixed with though). He is SO FREAKING CUTE. Just a little puppy.
4.gif

Apparently the story is that some kid got kicked out of college and had to return to Florida, so he had to leave the dog. Some other guy got the dog and brought it to my FI''s work. Now WE have the dog because there is no place for him to go and it''s friday.

So.....of course I really really really really wanna keep him! FI says absolutely not.
38.gif
Seriously...who in their right mind brings a doggy home and says we can''t keep him?
39.gif
I''m still trying to convince him though. I see his point...we already HAVE a dog...and two cats.....and fish....so another pet might be overkill. I''m pretty much lowered myself to begging though.

He walked right up to my dog and LICKED HIM! The kitties love him. He hasn''t barked once. He''s perfect! He just sits on my lap and looks cute all day.

One of the weird things our dog keeps doing is DROOLING everywhere though. Is this normal? He never used to drool....but he''s been drooling all around the puppy, all over the floor. I can''t tell if he''s sizing up his late night snack or just trying to mark his territory. What the heck does that mean?!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno about the drooling, maybe your other dog is stressed from the other puppy?

Just make sure you''re up for the high-energy of a jack russel. They jump non-stop and need tons of play/walk/run time, otherwise they''ll get really frustrated and tear up everything in sight.

You should read up on them before you decide.. they can be pretty demanding dogs.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I would wait a couple of days and you may be able to see what ''s happening.It could simply be excitment or something else.Give it a bit more time..

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
A word of caution...Jack Russells need ALOT of attention, exercise and discipline...

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Aw. But he''s so cute!
He just walks around with his tail wagging and tries to greet our other pets, or he''s on our lap.
He hasn''t whimpered or growled or barked even once. Maybe he''s still too little. I have no idea how old he is, just that he''s little, but it''s not like I can hold him in my hand or anything. I thought he was neutered already, but FI said that it''s just that he hasn''t.....ahem......dropped yet.
emembarrassed.gif

I''m not worried about him getting enough attention or exercise, because if we aren''t entertaining him I''m sure our dog will. I''m so surprised by how well they are all getting along. It''s like it was meant to be.
39.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I also have no idea if he''s a jack russel terrier. He looks like the target dog, but with the coloring of a jack russel terrier.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the Target dog is a bull terrier which is bigger & stockier than a Jack russell. Like the others have mentioned if it is a jack russell it will need loooooots of stimulation. Your other dog is probably drooling because he/she is nervous. My Boston terrier does that when she is stressed out.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Yeah...it's not the target dog. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
39.gif

Here he is! (excuse the remote on the floor).

What the heck is he?
33.gif

Edit: Wow, my rug looks really dirty in that photo.
38.gif
I swear I vaccum!!!
9.gif

doggy.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
oh my gosh, he''s ridiculously cute. I don''t blame you for wanting to keep him, he''s just a little angel

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Aww, lucky, he is just absolutely precious! If your FI won''t let you keep him, can I have him???
9.gif
I''ve never had a dog of my own! (Though I think my fat cat Maverick might be WAY bigger than your little guy!)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww what a cutie. he might be mixed with something like rat terrier. he does have that terrier (aka terror) look to him.

i agree with everyone else re jacks..my girlfriend has one and he is super cute and affectionate but man he is high maintenance and FAST and stubborn. he always teaches portia bad habits when he comes over hehee. and he sheds like no one''s business, drives me CRAZY as i am always picking his little stiff wire hairs out of all our stuff for months later. but he''s a doll in terms of personality for the most part...he just is really hyper and barky and he doesn''t really like other dogs.

many terriers are high strung, high maintenance, can be barkers, super high energy, stubborn....but some are just great as well. just depends on the dog and it''s personality and how it was raised (who previous owners were etc). people tend to think oh they are so cute and then don''t realize what they are in for! but they are fun too, they have a ton of personality.

good luck!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
He could be part rat terrier.

We have a rattie and she''s sooo hyper. It takes 2 hours on rollerblades to get her to be just tired enough to settle down in the house.

lol if you have a jack-rat you''ll be in for it! The jack russell''s ability to jump like 10 feet in the air, coupled with the rattie''s stubbornness.. wooo..!

Just make sure you''re prepared for him if you decide to keep him. I love my rattie but sometimes I could pummel her for being so abnoxious! Here''s ours:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/requested-by-irina-the-ps-admin.59977/

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 9:13:13 AM
Author: curiopotter

We have a rattie and she''s sooo hyper. It takes 2 hours on rollerblades to get her to be just tired enough to settle down in the house.

Ok, I''m seeing a rat terrier on rollerblades??? HA! Thanks for that image! I''m guessing you mean YOU on rollerblades, but hey, maybe not?

SUCH a cutie! How could you not keep him???

The line I used on my dad when I was 6 and wanted a new kitten? "Oh that, that''s new." Case closed. Of course, I was 6.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Smooth Fox Terrier. Terrierist. Terrorist. She is turning 10, and she''s a pistol, let me tell you. Terriers are not for everyone, and can be a load of heartache if they don''t get proper training early. Even with proper training, they will be independent and do what they want sometimes, often, anyway.
11.gif
They are devilishy smart little beasties and they can and do hunt and kill things in the garden. Bunnies, mice, birds.
23.gif
They are resistant to house training or any training really. They can be bullies. They can be destructive. They know what they want and they figure out how to get it. That''s my cautionary warning.

The little guy looks sweet as can be. Don''t be totally fooled.
12.gif
He may be a Jack Russell or a mix, it''s hard to tell right now. Anyway, if you decide to keep him, training is a must. Never underestimate a terrier. Seriously.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I think our little terror must dig a hole under the fence and visit your house during the day, because that sounds all too familiar...

lol ours loves her some opossum...
There''s nothing like waking up early in the morning to find a nicely decayed opossum head on your front door...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Awwwee look at his face

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun with him... Glad you found a new freind.

Perry

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2007 5:48:22 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I dunno what kind of baby he is, but he has fiesty written all over him. ROFLMAO!
9.gif
Is he a bi-eye? CUUUTE baby!

Yeah it''s so weird! One eye has a blue ring around it, and the other eye has a brown ring around it.

He''s been so good today. Well, except for the pooping and peeing part.
38.gif
I''ve been taking him outside every half hour and give him praise when goes to the bathroom out there, but he''s still learning. I''ll walk out of the room, and then come back in to a surprise. lol. Not fun.

He still hasn''t barked or whimpered or anything.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

He''s a doll for sure. His paws, coloring and color pattern definitely prove that he''s Jack Russell or what they''re calling Parson Russell Terrier these days. His paws have that flared out heavy mitt kind of look. Definitely Jack Russell but......... his body type is too heavy set to be mixed with Rat Terrier. Rat Terriers are very lean and have a pronounced ribcage like a greyhound. I am the proud Mommy of a pedigree cross-bred JackRat and my Bella is a living doll. We did loads of reading on terriers after we brought Bella home and the reading material proved to be true. If left to their own devices, their breed characteristics will prevail (and you''ll have a noisey yappy boomerang!), however, terriers are very adaptable and you CAN condition them to be any way you''d like them to be. At almost three (Bella''s birthday is the 16th) she is now a sweet, affectionate, well behaved darling of a girl just like her older sister who is a mixed breed Yellow Lab/miniature Pointer (6 yrs. old, 32 lbs.) from the North Shore Animal League. With proper care and constant attention and training, Jacks can be well behaved and have a calm demeanor. Yes, it takes some work but frankly, if I knew I could find another Bella, I''d buy another in a heartbeat!

There''s only one thing that can get Bella to do the boomerang jump and that''s a can of Wellness dog food being opened. (I''m 5'' 5" and she can jump up to my forehead) Other than that? She''s a little lady with big lovable eyes
4.gif

If you keep him, just love him and hug him and teach him not to be scared. Discourage him from barking every fly that goes by!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
He''s soooo adorable! My family use to have a mixed terrier and she wasn''t hyper at all. She was part sheepdog, terrier, and spaniel. We could tell that there was terrier in her but she wasn''t as high strung as I know they can be. I just wanted to mention that in case this puppy of yours is mixed. He may be more mellow if he''s not 100% terrier.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results