shape
carat
color
clarity

Italian made Turquoise Earrings Question

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking to purchase a pair of turquoise earrings. I have not owned a piece of turquoise jewelry before, and I do admire the VCA pieces, but that is way above budget for what I'm looking to spend.

I saw these earrings and thought they were pretty, and they are budget priced. I thought about adding a diamond to the center, since it does not seem to be finished well.

These earrings are handmade in Italy. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the color, etc of the turquoise. The description doesn't say where the turquoise was sourced.

Thank you :)

11049532_master(2).jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How large are the turquoise flowers?

Based on the single photo, I would have assumed these were not natural Turquoise but dyed (the blue color is so even and flat, and both pieces match in color almost too well) and more likely than not are composite stones ...

If the Turquoise flowers are quite tiny it is possible they are entirely natural and untreated but then I would have guessed they would be more expensive ... carved Turquoise is not very common and to be so well-matched and even in color is unusual.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I agree with marymm, they don’t look quite ’real’ and the pins going through the flowers aren’t a good match and don’t fit the holes very well.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
How large are the turquoise flowers?

Based on the single photo, I would have assumed these were not natural Turquoise but dyed (the blue color is so even and flat, and both pieces match in color almost too well) and more likely than not are composite stones ...

If the Turqoise flowers are quite tiny it is possible they are entirely natural and untreated but then I would have guessed they would be more expensive ... carved Turquoise is not very common and to be so well-matched and even in color is unusual.

Thank you!
I messaged them and I'm waiting for their response.
The price does seem too good to be true.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I will just add that almost without exception Turquoise jewelry generally features round or oval medium-domed cabochons ... the nature of Turquoise rough does not lend itself to elaborate carvings such as the flower-shaped earrings you posted above ... carvings like that would usually reveal variations in color ... for me, I would doubt what the vendor is saying because if it is natural, undyed and not composite material, those earrings would be expensive and would have nicer metalwork ... but that's just my opinion based on my own experience and knowledge.

Do you want to share the vendor? Perhaps looking at some of their other wares would inform as to their inventory and expertise in colored gemstones ...

In any case, since they please you, if they fit your budget and there's a return policy, maybe worth checking out?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ultimately it’s your decision @Paisley2628. Honestly, they just don’t look real to me, but that’s just my opinion and I’m no expert.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Since I'd be buying them from Italy, I will pass on them.

I will continue my search for a pair of stud turquoise earrings. :)

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I will just add that almost without exception Turquoise jewelry generally features round or oval medium-domed cabochons ... the nature of Turquoise rough does not lend itself to elaborate carvings such as the flower-shaped earrings you posted above ... carvings like that would usually reveal variations in color ... for me, I would doubt what the vendor is saying because if it is natural, undyed and not composite material, those earrings would be expensive and would have nicer metalwork ... but that's just my opinion based on my own experience and knowledge.

Do you want to share the vendor? Perhaps looking at some of their other wares would inform as to their inventory and expertise in colored gemstones ...

In any case, since they please you, if they fit your budget and there's a return policy, maybe worth checking out?

I found the earrings on 1stDibs -

Intini Jewels​

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turquoise is a 5-6 on the Mohs hardness scale.
Carving turquoise into these delicate flowers would be hard to do without them cracking apart during the process.
I suspect that they are some other stone, perhaps chalcedony, as @westofhere suggested.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Turquoise is a 5-6 on the Mohs hardness scale.
Carving turquoise into these delicate flowers would be hard to do without them cracking apart during the process.
I suspect that they are some other stone, perhaps chalcedony, as @westofhere suggested.

Well that would be ok
Why do you think the vendor doesn't just advertise them as such ?
Or do you think the dont know ?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that would be ok
Why do you think the vendor doesn't just advertise them as such ?
Or do you think the dont know ?

I think sometimes people assume that everything of this blue color must be turquoise. It could be an honest mistake by the vendor.
I looked at the website.
The polish is really high, almost glassy.
I'm skeptical that they are turquoise.

W

westofhere

An unscrupulous vendor might say they’re “turquoise” referring to the color not the stone—hopefully not, but. Seeing the website would help.

W

westofhere

Not saying those are this, but a lot of stones are carved into florals:

W

westofhere

Other stones:

And turquoise, tho inexpensive turquoise is often reconstituted or is dyed howlite:

And now I want these lapis lovelies!:

W

westofhere

I have zero craft ability but am going to make some! Lots of flowers of different stones (rose quartz, labradorite, amazonite) available all over Etsy. Now off to search for the right earring findings. These would make great Christmas presents!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
@marymm @stracci2000 @Daisys and Diamonds @Austina I saw these similar (to me) earrings from Paul Morelli. I was wondering what the thoughts were on these. Does the turquoise look very different than the original earrings I posted?

paul-morelli-turquoise-diamond-flower-earrings.jpg

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Turquoise components of the Paul Morelli earrings look quite similar to the first Turquoise pair you posted -- though the Morelli earrings look to be higher quality over all.

Perhaps you know already but the Sleeping Beauty Mine in Arizona closed in 2012. In its peak, the Sleeping Beauty mine yielded only 4% of natural, unaltered turquoise. A high percentage was enhanced, a process that added value to the lesser grade Sleeping Beauty turquoise.

Turquoise by nature is a relatively soft, porous stone, and it can vary greatly in its quality. Only higher grade natural turquoise is actually dense enough that it can be cut and shaped without damaging the stone. Softer, lower grade turquoise has to be treated in some way in order for it to be usable in jewelry. The resulting piece of turquoise is then much stronger and easier to cut, polish, and set by a jeweler without risk of breaking. Stabilized turquoise can be produced in large quantities and is less expensive than natural turquoise.

Turquoise Treatments/Alterations:

Stabilized or Enhanced: An epoxy or a plastic filler is added via pressure to the stone. If the stone naturally formed with holes or pits, they can be filled with epoxy for a smoother surface area. Some stabilized turquoise is color enhanced.

Reconstituted or Chalk: Fragments of turquoise are crushed into a powder form, which is then mixed with epoxy to make harder blocks that can then be cut into slabs or stone shapes.

Block or Imitation: Synthetic material (dyed plastic) or the manipulation of another stone (such as the Howlite) made to look like turquoise, but with no actual turquoise stone in it at all.

More info on Turquoise: https://www.gia.edu/turquoise

Although I like the look of the Morelli earrings better, for me it would not be worth the $2400 price as frankly my guess is that the Morelli turquoise has similar treatment as the Italian earrings you posted first ... I did check the Morelli website and none of its Sleeping Beauty offerings include any statements as to treatment let alone any reputable gem laboratory reports.

If you are okay with treated Turquoise (which in reality is the majority of Turquoise being sold today), I'd probably send pics of the Italian pair and the Morelli pair to David Klass Jewelry, and see if he can get similar Turquoise flowers and add the diamond and earring findings that fit within your budget. YMMV.

Last edited:
W

westofhere

That’s a great idea. And even “high end” jewelers don’t always disclose treatments—David Yurman’s turquoise was found a few years ago to be reconstituted :(

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
The Turquoise components of the Paul Morelli earrings look quite similar to the first Turquoise pair you posted -- though the Morelli earrings look to be higher quality over all.

Perhaps you know already but the Sleeping Beauty Mine in Arizona closed in 2012. In its peak, the Sleeping Beauty mine yielded only 4% of natural, unaltered turquoise. A high percentage was enhanced, a process that added value to the lesser grade Sleeping Beauty turquoise.

Turquoise by nature is a relatively soft, porous stone, and it can vary greatly in its quality. Only higher grade natural turquoise is actually dense enough that it can be cut and shaped without damaging the stone. Softer, lower grade turquoise has to be treated in some way in order for it to be usable in jewelry. The resulting piece of turquoise is then much stronger and easier to cut, polish, and set by a jeweler without risk of breaking. Stabilized turquoise can be produced in large quantities and is less expensive than natural turquoise.

Turquoise Treatments/Alterations:

Stabilized or Enhanced: An epoxy or a plastic filler is added via pressure to the stone. If the stone naturally formed with holes or pits, they can be filled with epoxy for a smoother surface area. Some stabilized turquoise is color enhanced.

Reconstituted or Chalk: Fragments of turquoise are crushed into a powder form, which is then mixed with epoxy to make harder blocks that can then be cut into slabs or stone shapes.

Block or Imitation: Synthetic material (dyed plastic) or the manipulation of another stone (such as the Howlite) made to look like turquoise, but with no actual turquoise stone in it at all.

More info on Turquoise: https://www.gia.edu/turquoise

Although I like the look of the Morelli earrings better, for me it would not be worth the $2400 price as frankly my guess is that the Morelli turquoise has similar treatment as the Italian earrings you posted first ... I did check the Morelli website and none of its Sleeping Beauty offerings include any statements as to treatment let alone any reputable gem laboratory reports.

If you are okay with treated Turquoise (which in reality is the majority of Turquoise being sold today), I'd probably send pics of the Italian pair and the Morelli pair to David Klass Jewelry, and see if he can get similar Turquoise flowers and add the diamond and earring findings that fit within your budget. YMMV.
Thank you so much for the helpful information!

I actually thought about DK, but didn't connect him with anything but diamonds and the like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results