shape
carat
color
clarity

ISO solitaire diamond ring that doesn''t look like an e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m graduating from a master''s program in May and wanted to get myself a present. Going to classes at night after work for the past 3 years has been pretty painful, so I want to celebrate by buying a nice diamond ring. I''m thinking of getting an upgradable stone in a simple setting but everything I have seen so far looks too much like an e-ring. I''d rather avoid "the question" from co-workers and friends (I''m in a LT relationship).

So I turn to the infinite wisdom of fellow PSers. Have you seen any solitaire settings that do not look like an e-ring or have an idea for a setting in mind? I was thinking of getting an upgradable pendant but I already have a pendant that I love and wear regularly, so I''d rather go for a ring..

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe try a colored gemstone instead of a diamond? Most diamond rings I see, specifically solitaires, remind me of engagement rings, even when worn on the right hand. Personally, I like aquamarine and emeralds.

Jess

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Why does it have to be a solitaire? Usually RHRs are not solitaires just to avoid that exact issue. I would vote for a simple 3 stone ring.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d like a solitaire because it can be upgraded. I''d like to work up to a 3ct rb eventually.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for something with a funkier design like swirls, split shanks, etc. and wear it on your right hand. You could easily go somewhat more traditional if you wore it on your middle finger on your right hand.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 4:25:26 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''d go for something with a funkier design like swirls, split shanks, etc. and wear it on your right hand. You could easily go somewhat more traditional if you wore it on your middle finger on your right hand.
I agree with kcoursolle. Swirls such that it can''t easily be worn with a wedding band make it look less like half of a wedding set. I love tension set rings. My local jeweler has been making lots of these, and they don''t look like engagement rings at all to me.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2007 4:36:08 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I agree with kcoursolle. Swirls such that it can''t easily be worn with a wedding band make it look less like half of a wedding set. I love tension set rings. My local jeweler has been making lots of these, and they don''t look like engagement rings at all to me.
Hmm, can you post a picture or a link to a tension setting that you had in mind?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here are tension set rings at Pearlmans. Link

One example --

1A3AA_large_2.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming graduation! I''m graduating from my master''s program this year, too, I love the idea of a diamond graduation gift!
11.gif

I have a very similar ring to the one Fly Girl posted. Mine is two-tone with a .22 ct rb. It was given to me by an ex boyfriend, and I never wear it, but it does not look like an engagement ring. I''m actually thinking of using the diamond for a pair of studs . . .

Anyway, here''s a hand shot so you can see what it looks like on:

OldRingHavenPS.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are gorgeous, Flygirl
30.gif
. The settings are pretty expensive though. Do you think they can be easily modified to hold a larger diamond couple years down the road?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, that''s a very pretty ring
1.gif
. Do you avoid wearing for sentimental reasons or just don''t like the design?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about a setting like this?: http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-933.asp It''s fairly inexpensive and even though it''s not a tension setting, it has the same funky "look" that doesn''t look like a traditional e-ring if worn on the right hand.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2007 5:38:21 PM
How about a setting like this?: http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-933.asp It''s fairly inexpensive and even though it''s not a tension setting, it has the same funky ''look'' that doesn''t look like a traditional e-ring if worn on the right hand.
That''s a pretty setting too, kcoursolle and the price is more palatable.

You mentioned a split shank as possibility. Do you know if there are any split shank settings for under $500?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
What about a ring with gemstones on the shank? Like a sapphire band with the rb in the middle, or a sapphire on each side of the center stone.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 9:54:25 PM
Author: baby monster

Date: 9/28/2007 5:38:21 PM
How about a setting like this?: http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-933.asp It''s fairly inexpensive and even though it''s not a tension setting, it has the same funky ''look'' that doesn''t look like a traditional e-ring if worn on the right hand.
That''s a pretty setting too, kcoursolle and the price is more palatable.

You mentioned a split shank as possibility. Do you know if there are any split shank settings for under $500?
hmmmm, not under $500...but you might want to try browsing the adwar casting catelog and working with a vendor who can order you something from them. I think WF will work with adwar settings.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps a version of JLO''s ring from Marc Anthony or Jennifer Aniston''s orig e-ring from Brad Pitt? They are in the celeb ring thread, the first is a chunky solitaire and the second a swirly design.

I would wear on right hand on middle finger so as to avoid confusion.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 5:34:02 PM
Author: baby monster
Haven, that''s a very pretty ring
1.gif
. Do you avoid wearing for sentimental reasons or just don''t like the design?

A little bit of both--the ex actually proposed to me with that ring, although I was 21, he was 22, and I said "Yes, but . . . only if we make it through grad school and we''re still together" so I always thought of it as my pre-engagement ring. Since we obviously didn''t make it, it just feels wrong to wear the ring at all.

It is also very much not my style, I don''t own any pieces of yellow gold jewelry, and I don''t like thick metal rings. However, my grandmother wears a yellow gold ring that is he exact same shape as this ring, so I did like it for that reason, alone.

Anyway, I''ve tried to sell it on eBay and Craigslist several times, but it seems like selling used jewelry is a very difficult thing to do. So, now I figure I''ll use the diamond for something else!

Enjoy choosing your ring, you have a lot of gorgeous options here!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 4:25:26 PM
If I get another diamond ring it will be on my middle finger of my right hand and will be very simple, probably full bezel of some sort. Eye of the Bird hehe ;-)

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i like the idea of a bezel solitaire RHR, but the setting wouldn''t be upgradeable....

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bezels but wouldn''t I take a hit on the setting? The bezel settings are at least $1k and, as far as I know, they would can''t be reused with an upgraded stone.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, the only types of settings that can be easily upgradeable are ones that have a peg head where the head can be removed from the setting. Most settings can only accomodate very small changes in diamond size. It''s unfortunate and prevents many of us from upgrading more often since you often loose the entire setting and have to buy another.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Baby Monster,
I know you don't graduate until next year, but I'd like to congratulate you on your achievement!

Cehra,
What "Eye of the Bird?" Is this another of your jokes?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results