shape
carat
color
clarity

Isn''t this a great stone?! (And a few questions)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

saundeht

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I''m trying to finalize my diamond selection. I''ve found a diamond that I''m pretty happy with, but I have a few concerns I am hoping you can help me to clear up. I haven''t been able to find any information that answers these questions. I''d appreciate your opinons, regardless of how much you know about diamonds, but I would especially like input from those with some concrete knowledge of diamonds so I can make a well-informed decision!

Before I forget, here are the stats of the diamond (from GIA and Sarin):

Diameter: 6.05-6.15 x 3.63 mm
Weight: 0.80 carat
Depth: 59.6%
Table: 59.0%
Crown: 32.4''
Pavillion: 41.2''
Culet: 0.2% (pointed)
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick (1.8% average)
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Very good
Clarity: VS2
Color: E
Fluoresence: Medium blue

My questions:
* The 0.10 mm difference between the two diameter measurements of the stone really scares me. Is this too much? The stone doesn''t look out of round, but would this affect the brillance / optical quality of the stone in any way? Most of the stones I have looked at have differences of only 0.03 mm or so. At what point does the difference become too great? 0.10? 0.20? 0.30???

* I believe the overall cut of the stone is rated as "Very Good"....at least from what I can gather from GIA''s new cut-rating tool online and AGS''s cut proportions. With that said, how dramatic are the differences between a stone with a "Very Good" cut vs. one with an "Ideal" cut? In other words, can the unaided eye really detect a discernable difference?? I ran this stone''s stats in the Holloway Cut Advisor and it returns "Very Good" ratings for Brillance, Fire, and Scintillation, and "Excellent" for Spread (which, ironically, I am least concerned about). Is there a noticable difference to the eye between "Very Good" and "Excellent"?

* How important of a role do you believe optical symmetry (hearts and arrows) plays in the overall brilliance of a stone? It seems like some things I read say it is really good, and others say it doesn''t really matter...

* What would you estimate this stone''s retail value to be? He is asking $3,800 but that seems a bit high to me considering its cut is not Ideal.

Thank you so much for your help! I''d like to make a decision this weekend, so I greatly appreciate your input! :)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond scored a 2.1 on the HCA...which said it was worht buying if the price is right... I am not sure it is. Why pay for an E in color and then have medium flor? Flor can be great for lower color diamonds, but for an E? I dont think the price is would be far off if it had been an ideal cut. But it isnt and yes the .1 seems like an awful big diffrence on a round to me too.
This .80 G/VS from Wink is lovely!
.81 G/VS1 from Good Old Gold a nother really nice looking diamond.
These are both ideal cuts and would IMO be better choices.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results