shape
carat
color
clarity

Isn't it strange..

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
If you're an American transplant in the UK, it's likely your children will take the accent of wherever they go to school. I know I did.

I grew up in the UK but my parents were both from the US. My accent was (and still is) definitely English. When my parents were in Leeds, my eldest brother developed a Yorkshire accent, but when we moved down to London, we all developed Norf London accents (with the F). When I lived in London, I had a much better ear for accents. I could tell a Norf Londoner from someone from East London easily. I've since lost that ability.

I still have a mostly English accent, even though I left there in the mid 1990s.

I did once have a boyfriend from Glasgow and could barely understand a word he said.

Oddly, most of my closest friends in London had similar "not completely English" backgrounds. Some had a foreign parent or had lived abroad. I wasn't from the class system, and somehow didn't entirely fit into it on some levels.

I always wore jewelry and makeup when I lived in London. I just don't feel dressed without it, and never have. Much of the time was in the 1980s with costume jewelry, but I always put it on to match my outfit (in true 80s style).

princesss

Ideal_Rock
elliemay|1334606666|3172602 said:
It was a major culture shock at first. I'd visited before, but was in love with the charm of everything, so it was all lovely and quaint. Living here really kicked my butt for the first few months because it was so cold and dark (moved over right after the clocks changed for winter - blech), I couldn't understand anyone when they spoke to me, and I couldn't find any familar foods, and finding plus-sized clothing was an absolute nightmare.

I soon settled in, though, and love it now. It's very much home and suspect it will be even more so after I've had children. I moved from the southern US to northeast England, and I think that was the perfect fit for me -- both are full of loud, nosy, friendly people who will tell you how to live your life if you give them half a chance! :D

Oh dear. Today was not the day for me to read this, I'm afraid! I'm headed from the US southeast to Edinburgh (with the odd visit "south" to my boyfriend in Newcastle) and already nervous.

This topic has been great, though, in terms of setting expectations, jewelry-wise. Do not wear diamond studs to visit his parents, no matter how dainty I believe they are. Check. Small ring. Check.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1372782145|3476041 said:
It was a major culture shock at first. I'd visited before, but was in love with the charm of everything, so it was all lovely and quaint. Living here really kicked my butt for the first few months because it was so cold and dark (moved over right after the clocks changed for winter - blech), I couldn't understand anyone when they spoke to me, and I couldn't find any familar foods, and finding plus-sized clothing was an absolute nightmare.

I soon settled in, though, and love it now. It's very much home and suspect it will be even more so after I've had children. I moved from the southern US to northeast England, and I think that was the perfect fit for me -- both are full of loud, nosy, friendly people who will tell you how to live your life if you give them half a chance! :D

Oh dear. Today was not the day for me to read this, I'm afraid! I'm headed from the US southeast to Edinburgh (with the odd visit "south" to my boyfriend in Newcastle) and already nervous.

This topic has been great, though, in terms of setting expectations, jewelry-wise. Do not wear diamond studs to visit his parents, no matter how dainty I believe they are. Check. Small ring. Check.

I always think that it's pretty easy to identify the American on the tube by their jewellery :)

I don't live in the North and my Newcastle based friend doesn't really notice jewellery, but I'd say don't worry too much, if you want to wear, do! If this is a potential partner then sooner or later his family is going to know the real you. My Newcastle born and breed mother in law just laughs and teases about my love of jewellery - in a kind way.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1372784898|3476069 said:
princesss|1372782145|3476041 said:

I always think that it's pretty easy to identify the American on the tube by their jewellery :)

I don't live in the North and my Newcastle based friend doesn't really notice jewellery, but I'd say don't worry too much, if you want to wear, do! If this is a potential partner then sooner or later his family is going to know the real you. My Newcastle born and breed mother in law just laughs and teases about my love of jewellery - in a kind way.

Welllllllllll...he's Welsh and as I'm already the foreigner girlfriend, I figure first introductions it's probably best to be a little more modest. Just in case.

Actually, a lot of this information has been great! I move around a lot, but I rarely get insights like this until well into my life somewhere. It's cool to get some of it ahead of time. (I already know my mixed bag of pronunciation is going to get giggles - BF loves to hear me say "duvet" and laugh at how it's the one posh pronunciation Americans use. And trying to buy a bus ticket to Byker with an American accent and a Geordie bus driver straight up didn't work. BF had to translate for me on that one. "Bikah, mate, cheers!")

whosurdaddy

Rough_Rock
I really enjoy reading this thread! Keep it alive.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this thread! Admittedly, I'm obsessed with the UK culture. :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Smith1940, for reopening this thread. It got lost to me so I retread it all and found it fascinating! Who knew I ate uncouth! ( fork on the right!). Lucky husband is left handed.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank God I live in Australia. We wear what we like and largely do what we like and honestly mostly no-one judges us.

I have travelled a bit and really really noticed the class thing in the UK. My father was born in the UK and we went to a large manor house similar to Downton Abbey but a real life one which does tour guides and my husband befriended the tour guide, I think she assumed he was from old money at first and was very nice to him until she started asking questions when it was discovered he fitted into the category of "new money" not "old money" I will never forget the look on her face, she really did look like she stepped in dog poo. There was this gasp of horror that he was one of those self made people who could possibly be crass except he doesn't have a working class accent. And heaven forbid my husband told her my father was one of the working class villagers as a child before he moved to Australia. More looks of horror!!!

I have also been to the US there is a notable race thing going on within the US like or it not. There is a huge gap between rich and poor in the US but it isn't made as bigger deal out of by the middle class and the wealthy.

Here in Australia I think everyone mostly gets along. Sure we have tall poppy syndrome and race issues too, but mostly everyone accepts each other in a way I really have not seen elsewhere.

For the record I love big stones. Didn't see many in the UK, or in France, saw some in Italy especially the most jaw-dropping coloured stones. The metalwork and the pave in Italy is divine. In Germany a distinct lack of large stones, but if you went to an expensive hotel or show in France or out in Germany at night you could spot people dressed to dine wearing amazing jewels if you were looking. Holland and Belgium, the diamond capitals, small jewellery on everyone. Crappy overpriced stones in the shops unless you have insider knowledge on where to look.

I did see some amazing antique pieces in the UK both in London and in the villages some with big stones. Some the best large antique three stone rings I have ever seen. Same in Scotland, mostly small bling but the occasional antique piece to die for...

The US depends on where you go. Big stones, small stones, like Australia people wear what they want, having said that I noticed nicer cars and bigger rocks and a more laid back attitudes in California than elsewhere....

Asia is a mixed bag. Some of the biggest diamonds I have ever seen - new money in Hong Kong. In expensive shopping malls, high end hotels, out to dinner you will see women dripping in bling. China, depends where you are, there is a growing middle class most Chinese have smaller diamonds and they like them white, but again in big cities when going out you can spot some nice bling. Vietnam, not so many diamonds only small stuff, amazing rubies though...

The middle east. Again depends where you go. Mostly small to medium diamonds but hey if you are staying in a high end hotel or go out to dinner in a top spot then look beyond the veils, when in private booths or in women only high end shops and the layers come off look again. You will see the most expensive clothing, stunningly dressed women fully made up and jewellery to die for.....

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I *heart* this thread. Fascinating. Pandora, I'm going to look up the books you mentioned.

The discussion of "pardon" vs. "what" reminded me of a moment in Pride & Prejudice (the movie with Colin Firth) when Mr. Darcy reacted to some snarky comment about Elizabeth with a loud "What?!" I thought he was being rude :cheeky:

kmystery

Rough_Rock
I live on a small island, which is part of Great Britain (but not part of the UK - its very complicated!).

We have a thriving finance industry so there is quite a lot of wealth in the island.

However, it is not easy to find ideal cut diamonds - in fact most of the jewellery I have looked at does not come with any form of certification or even more detail than "VS" and when I try and get more information, I get looks that make me feel that I am just being a trouble maker.

I love jewellery and would love to visit some of the jewelers that are regularly mentioned on here to see the difference in quality (and choice!).

Also, I am 32 and people tend to find it weird that I would like a bling RHR (still trying to decide, I feel that this may take some time), as normally that would come with a "big" anniversary (25years plus) or a big birthday. I find it very difficult to go into jewellery shops and try on the rings.

Also they are SO much more expensive than the US prices that I have seen (and for less quality). I have told hubby that a visit to NYC may be in order one day (he wants a custom guitar and it would work out about the same price as the ring i would like, based on initial research, and there is a good maker in NYC apparently so all's fair :)).

Finally, I don't even know if some of the places I am looking at (Whiteflash/BGD - I would like to try on some actual rings in NYC but would probably end up having something custom made - I love the idea of choosing my own diamonds!) could even deliver to where i live - should probably figure this out before I start.

Sorry for the long post!

It all sounds so much more friendly and un-judgemental in the UK.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting thread to read.

To answer the question posted by OP. I grew up in Europe and US. Most my family's jewelry was sold or disappeared in WWI and WWII but my maternal grandmother used to tell me stories about her mother and grandmother wearing fabulous things. My grandmother only had couple of pieces with small colored stones but no diamonds. My mother received a small ER with family OMC that came out of her MIL's earrings. Otherwise, no diamonds or even colored stones, just plain gold pieces. Over the years, we have given her diamond earrings and rings as presents but she only wears them on special occasions. Diamonds are just not an every day jewelry item for her.

I also remember being told as a child that wearing diamonds during the day was not proper etiquette. You only wore them when dressed for dinner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results