shape
carat
color
clarity

Is your Platinum engagement ring heavy?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in the process of having a new 3 stone custom setting for OEC's. I am trying to decide between unplated white gold and platinum. The price difference is $500.

I would prefer platinum. I've had it before but only a 2mm wedding band and a solitaire e-ring. When I got the cads for my new ring I think the weights of the different metals are shown on the top left. I will show the inspiration ring and the cad. I've made some changes since this cad was done. The shank will taper and be slightly thinner. The cut outs aren't shown on this version.

Will it be very heavy? Does that make it uncomfortable to wear?

_16890.jpg

_16891.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
19 gram is pretty heavy for a ring.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just weighed my halo which is 5g (white gold) and my husbands 4mm wedding band 5g (palladium). They felt fine together on my finger. I wonder if double that weight would be too heavy......

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have my Grandmother's antique 3-stone in plat and it's very heavy and I love it.
I feels so substantial. My other rings feel comparatively fragile.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harpertoo|1397248532|3651968 said:
I have my Grandmother's antique 3-stone in plat and it's very heavy and I love it.

Would you mind sharing a picture? I'd love to see it.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1397248596|3651972 said:
Harpertoo|1397248532|3651968 said:

Would you mind sharing a picture? I'd love to see it.

sure.
it's a solid tank of a ring - but I love it! I've had it since I was 18 and much before I had an inkling I should be careful with rings/diamonds. It has survived my 30 years of wear beautifully....not to mention however long my Mother and Grandmother had it. it's probably a size 6.5.

dsc_128.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's lovely!!! Thank you for sharing! Do you have any idea of the weight?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1397249527|3651989 said:
It's lovely!!! Thank you for sharing! Do you have any idea of the weight?

sorry - I don't. I just know it is the heaviest ring I've worn....and everyone comments on the weight.
sort of wish I knew! (on the side view you can see more why it's heavy. the sides are all solid plat.)

BTW - your design looks gorgeous! can't wait to see completed pics!

dsc_3644.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's very substantial! How does it feel to wear it? Do you stop noticing the weight after a while or are you always aware of it?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
my husband's wedding band is 17g platinum and I'd say it's very heavy. For a woman's ring, I think around 12-13g would be my limit and it would still be quite heavy (I'd feel so light and free without it!). My set is 10g and is very comfortable.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 14g plat ring. It is a solitaire with a wide setting. I do like that it is very substantial but when my weight fluctuates and it is on the big side, it does rock back and forth. The back of the shank is squared off so it doesn't spin all the way around. Because yours is a 3 stone with lots on top, you may not have that issue. It is beautiful and if it was me I would go for plat.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1397249952|3651992 said:
That's very substantial! How does it feel to wear it? Do you stop noticing the weight after a while or are you always aware of it?

the weight has never bothered me. In fact one of the things I like about the ring is sort of knowing it is there. I don't 'forget' I'm wearing it....I feel very adorned in this ring. I like how it feels on my hand. I know this is a personal preference though - my mother thought the platinum looked like stainless steel and used the 'tank" description in an unflattering way. And it seems many fine designers pride themselves on delicacy and light weight.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luvdajules - thank you for your comment. When I tried my ring with my husbands it was 10g and it felt fine. I don't think I will wear a wedding band with this new ring so maybe I will be ok with one slightly heavy ring.

NonieMarie- my knuckles are larger than my finger so rings travel around in circles on me. I'm used to putting it right side up :))

Harpertoo - your ring doesn't look like a tank! I think it's lovely. I'm a big girl so maybe I can wear a heavy ring :lol:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I love the weight of platinum. When I wear gold pieces they feel flimsy to me now.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1397252826|3652025 said:
I love the weight of platinum. When I wear gold pieces they feel flimsy to me now.

I really loved my platinum set. It felt substantial. If it won't be too heavy I will get platinum. It's my favourite metal.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
wow $500 difference? I would do platinum. that weight sounds heavy but I love my platinum rings weight and feel compared to my white gold personally.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
artdecolover71|1397255745|3652063 said:
wow $500 difference? I would do platinum. that weight sounds heavy but I love my platinum rings weight and feel compared to my white gold personally.

It's definitely a good deal. I've emailed David to make sure it's definitely going to be that weight.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband has a 20g platinum wedding band and he cannot wear it when he works on the computer. It makes his finger sore! It's just too heavy.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I win mine is so heavy it could knock out Mike Tyson and I love it and it is comfortable and I know I can use it as a weapon if need be lol.

_16894.jpg

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Used to have a platinum setting but it was too heavy for me so I had my stone reset into a gold semi mount. Much better for me. Mine weighed 8 grams, I believe.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I looove the feel of heavy platinum. That said, my platinum rings do not weight 19 grams. I do have an 18k gold ring that is weighs about 12 grams, and truth be told, it felt too heavy for me, so I reset it bc I never wore it. It was a rhr though, so that may have played into it too. Here is a picture. On hot days, especially, it became too much for my size 5.75 finger to handle.
image_1228.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, what size is your husbands band?

Heididdl, you have quite the ring there! And you never know when you might have to thump a big boxer! :lol:

Purplesparklies, my white gold ring is 5g so I think I could cope with 8g but I know everyone is different. I'm glad your ring is comfortable now.

Braga that ring is stunning!!!! :love:

I wonder if I'm mistaken and the ring might be 9g and not 19g? It could be a typo on David's part. That seems more likely. I've been searching similar settings and none have been anywhere near 19g.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the heftiness of platinum. I like feeling something is on my finger. Mine is 9 grams and not at all too heavy. Finger size 4.5. In fact, generally my finger feels like all rings should be that heavy. When I wear my bands, something feels off because I don't feel the weight as much. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind a matching band of 30 pointers to wear with this.

Here is a pic.

profile_4.jpg

It's built like a tank. It's got 30 point side stones so it's got a wide shank.

angle_c.jpg

Given the look and feel of your ring, heavier would be appropriate, right? It's ok. As long as your fingers aren't uncomfortable, it's a little workout!! ;-)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1397328965|3652445 said:
I love the heftiness of platinum. I like feeling something is on my finger. Mine is 9 grams and not at all too heavy. Finger size 4.5. In fact, generally my finger feels like all rings should be that heavy. When I wear my bands, something feels off because I don't feel the weight as much. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind a matching band of 30 pointers to wear with this.

Here is a pic.

profile_4.jpg

It's built like a tank. It's got 30 point side stones so it's got a wide shank.

angle_c.jpg

Given the look and feel of your ring, heavier would be appropriate, right? It's ok. As long as your fingers aren't uncomfortable, it's a little workout!! ;-)

Maybe my finger will get such a good workout that it will get thinner - maybe to a size 4? :bigsmile:

Your ring is fabulous! I think you should get the matching band!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum for a ring that is surely going to be an heirloom! Some of my platinum rings are heavy, but certainly I am not wearing them 16 hours a day or anything like that. I wear them when going out somewhere, never for more than a few hours. I take them off when I come home to take care of them. I would always choose platinum over wg.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back in the day when they originally made this style or ring the parts would have been die struck or they would have been hand forged, and that allows a much lighten weight of metal. My own ring is platinum and must only weight a few grams!

If you ring will be solid on the underside I can see it weighing 19g. If hollowed out it could weigh less.

My husband's ring is a size 10 and it is 8mm wide. He cannot wear it working at the computer. But if you don't have a typing job then you might be ok. I don't think it would be an issue for most other things you go with your hands.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also can't imagine that ring would weigh 19 grams once all the cut outs were done and the shank made narrower. On the other hand, I have no idea how much mine weigh since I don't have a scale that measures grams! Maybe I need one!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes DS, definitely an heirloom for my lovely daughter when she is older. I love platinum. I didn't realise how affordable this ring would be so I want to take the chance to get my favourite metal. I don't work. I'm a stay at home mother and I home school James. Almost a life of leisure :lol:

The underside of the head is hollowed out. Hopefully that means it won't be heavy.

Dreamer, your husbands ring sounds like it's way more substantial than mine. I will bear in mind what you said about the weight though as I want to buy my husband a new platinum band. I won't get a heavy one as he types a lot for work.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1397331025|3652459 said:
I also can't imagine that ring would weigh 19 grams once all the cut outs were done and the shank made narrower. On the other hand, I have no idea how much mine weigh since I don't have a scale that measures grams! Maybe I need one!

I have flat digital scales in my kitchen. That's how I weigh my rings :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1397331716|3652464 said:
Yes DS, definitely an heirloom for my lovely daughter when she is older. I love platinum. I didn't realise how affordable this ring would be so I want to take the chance to get my favourite metal. I don't work. I'm a stay at home mother and I home school James. Almost a life of leisure :lol:

The underside of the head is hollowed out. Hopefully that means it won't be heavy.

Dreamer, your husbands ring sounds like it's way more substantial than mine. I will bear in mind what you said about the weight though as I want to buy my husband a new platinum band. I won't get a heavy one as he types a lot for work.

That's great, Maisie! There are many kids on the spectrum who would do better with home school. I didn't find out until years later that my son was bullied in school but he was afraid to tell. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results