shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this White Topaz or Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I know it's impossible to tell for sure without having it tested, but I don't think it's worth sending off. This stone was preset in a ring purchased around 15 years ago (anyone remember Service Merchandise?) I swapped out the white stone for a blue topaz (SM offered jewelry repair), and I asked the jeweler if it was a cz. After scrutinizing it for a minute (no loupe or scope), he said it was probably a white topaz because of the RI. Recently, my local jeweler looked at it under the microscope, and he said it was a cz because the stone was scratched. I'm not saying he's wrong, but wouldn't a topaz be even more prone to scratching than a cz?

So, can any of you more seasoned gem lovers tell anything from my pics? It does have some damage (maybe a chip?) and the facet meets are a little rough and worn. And of course I had to be wearing a turquoise shirt when I photographed the stone.
20.gif
I'm only going to post 4 pics, but I can post more if necessary. And none of the photos have been color adjusted or sharpened.

IMG_2454-1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Closer

IMG_2455-1.JPG

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,
You''re right that no definite ID can be made without actual testing. But here are some clues:

1. Your images show lots of dispersion in the stone. That''s a very strong indication of CZ, which has about 1.5 times the dispersion of diamond. Topaz has very low dispersion as do most other relatively inexpensive colorless natural stones.

2. Service Merchandise was a mass merchandiser. They sold many synthetics.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 12:27:20 PM
Author: Richard M.
Hi,
You''re right that no definite ID can be made without actual testing. But here are some clues:

1. Your images show lots of dispersion in the stone. That''s a very strong indication of CZ, which has about 1.5 times the dispersion of diamond. Topaz has very low dispersion as do most other relatively inexpensive colorless natural stones.

2. Service Merchandise was a mass merchandiser. They sold many synthetics.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)
Thanks for weighing in. So you think that''s dispersion, instead of my blue shirt reflecting in the stone? I''m gonna change my shirt and take new pics. And yes, SM did sell a lot of synthetic sapphires and rubies (and dark, murky garnets)!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tilt it. Topaz has a pretty low refractive index and so tilting it will show a "tilt window" through the table almost immediately. CZ has a much higher index and so it needs to be tilted to nearly 30° to show a small, dark triangular window.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 12:50:09 PM
Author: Michael_E
Tilt it. Topaz has a pretty low refractive index and so tilting it will show a ''tilt window'' through the table almost immediately. CZ has a much higher index and so it needs to be tilted to nearly 30° to show a small, dark triangular window.
Well, that pretty much seals it - I''m tilting the stone quite a bit in the photo, and even though it''s a little blurry, no window. Wow, I''ve never actually hoped to see a window in a stone before. Thanks Michael.

IMG_2459b.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, too much coloured light return for a white topaz. And the window tilt test does it again.
2.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have several white topaz (including the one that was on Barry''s site). They don''t look like the stone in your photos.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results