shape
carat
color
clarity

Is THIS what a paraiba is supposed to look like

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because even on my screen it was glowing!

r1328_027Ww.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
To me personally, a paraiba color has some green in it''s blue and this one seems a bit too glowingly (is that a word?) light blue - don''t really see any green in it. Of course, true paraibas come in several shades, from those that are more green, to those that are more blue, but I was just stating my personal opinion here.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 1:45:45 PM
Author: ma re
To me personally, a paraiba color has some green in it''s blue and this one seems a bit too glowingly (is that a word?) light blue - don''t really see any green in it. Of course, true paraibas come in several shades, from those that are more green, to those that are more blue, but I was just stating my personal opinion here.
Interesting! I just always see the term around here and am actually curious as to what the color is. This looked like the "windex" blue that so many mention so I wondered if this was the real gig!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top grade Brazilian ones are more vivid than that one appears to me. They''re so vivid, they''re almost garrish looking. I love them!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paraiba tourmalines come in a variety of colours from purple to blue to turquoise to green. My favourite is actually a pure blue. I’m sure many have seen this picture:
http://www.palagems.com/paraiba.htm
What makes it outstanding is how much it glows. I think the cabochon in the picture can be considered a Paraiba since it glows on my monitor. It could stand to be more glowy though.

paraibasuitePala.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn''t get a clearer picture but the paraibas are very garish and from the original Brazilian mine. The picture was snagged from an ICA article.

ICAparaibatourmaline.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2009 2:16:45 PM
Author: Chrono
I couldn''t get a clearer picture but the paraibas are very garish and from the original Brazilian mine. The picture was snagged from an ICA article.
Yes, that''s more like it!! Those pictures! Very garrish color indeed. Some people dont like paraiba because the color is just too garrish, it looks fake. When they first discovered them, many people thought they were fake.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me personally, a paraiba color has some green in it's blue and this one seems a bit too glowingly (is that a word?) light blue - don't really see any green in it. Of course, true paraibas come in several shades, from those that are more green, to those that are more blue, but I was just stating my personal opinion here.

Mr ma re - I respectfully disagree. Paraiba Tourmaline can be blue or green or blue/green or indeed various other combinations. What sets them apart is their neon quality. If you don't have neon then, for me, it's not a PT.

TG - I have a PT very very very similar to the one you posted in your original thread. It's highly included but you can see it glowing from the moon! It's not a good photo and you can't really see the glow but here's a piccie for you to compare

Just seen this picture after posting - it really isn't a good representation of the glow. I'm going to see if I have any other shots of it!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 3:14:53 PM
Author: Allison D.
TGal, the photo you posted would certainly seem to qualify, in my opinion.

Here''s another favorite example from Richard''s website: http://rwwise.com/products/id%7C1001
I love that one too. Someone on PS inquired about that one, I think...and boy oh boy, was the price insane!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I saw two small ones last week (? dimensions but app. 1/2 carat each) and I thought I could detect a hint of green in them? Pretty cool looking for sure....looked fabu next to the pad!

cheers--Sharon

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That top stone the original OP posted looks brazilian to me..notice all the inclusions which are not as common in the mozam material and also the color is much richer..I would be willing to wager a days pay that top stone is a brazilian paraiba..remember there are 3 mines in paraiba state that produced varying amounts of different color and kinds of paraiba..personally I like the blue-green better where as a lot of folks like the blue/windex color

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me personally, a paraiba color has some green in it's blue and this one seems a bit too glowingly (is that a word?) light blue - don't really see any green in it. Of course, true paraibas come in several shades, from those that are more green, to those that are more blue, but I was just stating my personal opinion here.
Ma Re,
I don't comprehend what you're saying.

All,
Note that the stone TGal posted is a cab, which, naturally, looks different from a facetted stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal are you researching the stone for your *next* baby ring?
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2009 2:25:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Mr ma re - I respectfully disagree. Paraiba Tourmaline can be blue or green or blue/green or indeed various other combinations. What sets them apart is their neon quality. If you don''t have neon then, for me, it''s not a PT.

TG - I have a PT very very very similar to the one you posted in your original thread. It''s highly included but you can see it glowing from the moon! It''s not a good photo and you can''t really see the glow but here''s a piccie for you to compare

Just seen this picture after posting - it really isn''t a good representation of the glow. I''m going to see if I have any other shots of it!

LD,
Waiting patiently for those pics
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
LD - of course I agree that paraiba has to glow, didn''t even realize that I missed to mention that factor.

Harriet - I was just stating that if I would see that particular color from the OP, paraiba wouldn''t be my first idea when it comes to stone ID. I know they can be anything from green to blue (and everything in between), but to me the term paraiba brings a slightly greenish blue color to mind.

jvLin

Rough_Rock
IMO, yup. I think the ideal is the color of Tiffany boxes or a Robin's Egg (like the turquoise), but I'd classify that as a paraiba. I think it doesn't glow as much because of its' cut/inclusions. Then again, I'm just a kid and I don't know that much about rocks..

http://www.gemstone.org/images/01/Stones_ParaibaTourmaline1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2009 10:11:45 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 10/8/2009 2:25:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Mr ma re - I respectfully disagree. Paraiba Tourmaline can be blue or green or blue/green or indeed various other combinations. What sets them apart is their neon quality. If you don''t have neon then, for me, it''s not a PT.

TG - I have a PT very very very similar to the one you posted in your original thread. It''s highly included but you can see it glowing from the moon! It''s not a good photo and you can''t really see the glow but here''s a piccie for you to compare

Just seen this picture after posting - it really isn''t a good representation of the glow. I''m going to see if I have any other shots of it!

LD,
Waiting patiently for those pics
2.gif
I did have a look but couldn''t find any others (apart from a group shot that really didn''t show it well). Will try to take some this weekend. In the meantime does this satisfy you?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As promised! Taken in a hurry in electric light!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how this is going to translate in photos but for me, a great Paraiba Tourmaline will glow even in very low lighting. Here are some of my rings in electric light and then under the table in shadow.

Edit - this hasn't worked well - sorry!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous color you have on those rings LD. Thanks for posting them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you LD. Ummm...can I have one, please? It doesn''t matter which one.
31.gif
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - coming from you that's high praise. Thank you very much. The highly included blue one was the first ever PT I bought!

Chrono - of course you can!!! Would you like them all?
2.gif
Actually I haven't tried them on for ages and where I've lost weight my fingers have gone from a 7.5 to a 5.5 so they're now swimming on me
6.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small fingers but I''ll gladly wear one on my thumb.
3.gif

Wow, that''s a huge size difference. You must have lost a lot of weight to drop 2 finger sizes!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
WOW ... LD Those are some wickedly lovely stones/rings; very nice hands also
28.gif

I love that color; with or without a brilliant cut that is one gem that just talks to you
30.gif

Thank you for sharing such lovely rings/stones with us...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
LD you can open your own jewellery shop with your collection. My favourite is the emerald cut one.
30.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds: Wow! What a collection of paraibas! Thanks for sharing. How long have you been collecting paraibas? One of these days, perhaps I will own one. I looked for a while, but have given up for now. I haven''t seen one that I like enough to pay the ridiculous prices dealers are asking. Below is a ring that a dealer was trying to sell to me, but I didn''t buy it. It is an AGTA certified 2+ carat unheated paraiba from Brazil, but the cert also says a fluid is present in fissures. When questioned, the dealer admitted that the stone has been immersed in oil. I know this is accepted practice with emeralds, but I don''t know if it''s acceptable for paraibas. The stone glows like mad and the color is the blue with a bit of green that I like. But it is very included with many eye visible inclusions and badly cut, shallow with a big window. None of the Mozambique stones that I have seen glow like this one. I did not buy the ring because I felt the asking price was way too high for a stone this included. Does anyone know what a stone like this is worth per carat?

T-gal, I saw that paraiba ring on LM''s site. I think it is a lovely setting for a cabochon. If I ever decide to reset my art deco jade ring, I would pick this setting.

AN

AN-para.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
LD - that ring with three brilliants on each side is simply amazing, everything about it, including proportions of stones and shapes of the shank; and that YG ring with diamonds grouped in squares of 4 is exactly my cup of tea!
AN - that haloed ring is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results