shape
carat
color
clarity

IS THIS TRUE???????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

levigarrett

Rough_Rock
I just saw in another post that Mrssalvo said that diamond prices are going up.
29.gif

IS THIS TRUE?

IF SO I need help finding as ASSCHER.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GIRLS AND GUYS THINK.
23.gif

I WAS GOING TO WAITANOTHER 4 Months but???????????????

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond prices have been going up for the last year and a half.

A stone I would have looked at least year for $12k is now $16k. It''s hard to stomach the extra 20-30% when you are writing the check.

So yes if you are going to buy, I''d buy sooner rather than later when you can find the stone rather than waiting. You really don''t know where the market is going but if the last year or so is any indication I would not wait.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, Leonid posted a thread a while ago that (if I remember correctly) actually showed some DECREASE in diamond prices recently. You could probably find it on a search.

But, personally, it has been my observation that by and large, the prices just keep going UPUPUP!!!
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually Lynn someone else came in right after Leonid posted that and said that the drop lasted A FEW DAYS or something like that and so it really was not an accurate representation of the market.

levigarrett

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response friends.

I will post next week the asscher I need and Maybe I can get some help..

This is the best board I have ever been on.
I mean that.

35.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 9:15:37 PM
Author: Mara
Actually Lynn someone else came in right after Leonid posted that and said that the drop lasted A FEW DAYS or something like that and so it really was not an accurate representation of the market.

Hey, thanks for setting me straight! I didn''t see that part! I honestly wondered about those stats and real life... because like I said, I am only seeing prices going up, up, up... and FAST!
39.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 9:14:35 PM
Author: Lynn B
Well, Leonid posted a thread a while ago that (if I remember correctly) actually showed some DECREASE in diamond prices recently. You could probably find it on a search.

But, personally, it has been my observation that by and large, the prices just keep going UPUPUP!!!
32.gif
Lynn
even if it is true,it would probably take another 12-15 months before we (at the retail level) get a price break.
8.gif
39.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 9:12:14 PM
Author:levigarrett
I just saw in another post that Mrssalvo said that diamond prices are going up.
29.gif

IS THIS TRUE?

aw, you didn''t believe me?
2.gif

many folks will be happy to help you find the perfect asscher when you''re ready
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. We were going to wait until around March 4th to get our Asscher from GOG. I know there probably won''t be a difference in the price from now to then but it still makes me nervous! March is not going to come soon enough!!

levigarrett- I can''t wait to hear about your asscher search!!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That pricescope chart is somewhat decieveing... in that it shows the short term trends.

Diamond prices have steadily gone up for something like 60 or 70 years.

Leonid: Is there a good chart that shows the multidecade price of say a 1 carat diamond (or perhaps a 1/2 carat diamond as appropriate).

Perry

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
There have been some slight decreases in prices of stones of less than 1ct. of certain color/clarity, but mostly for stones below 0.5ct.

Larger stones remain strong, especially above 2ct.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 10:18:08 PM
Author: perry
That pricescope chart is somewhat decieveing... in that it shows the short term trends.

Leonid: Is there a good chart that shows the multidecade price of say a 1 carat diamond (or perhaps a 1/2 carat diamond as appropriate).

Perry
I only have data for about 6 years. I''ve seen some historical charts in Rapaport Magazine but not sure we can post it here.

There was also a huge price increase and fall in the 80s''....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually perry i recall when i first came on in 2002 that experts said that diamond prices had been FLAT for ~3 years or so and it was not until the last 1.5 years or so that they started really rising.

so it seems like there are dips and flat areas just like there are climbing areas over time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 11:21:17 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 2/8/2006 10:18:08 PM
Author: perry

Perry
I only have data for about 6 years. I''ve seen some historical charts in Rapaport Magazine but not sure we can post it here.

diamond price tie to gold price? commodity inflation?
34.gif
the price of gold top out at $850 oz. Jan 1980.i think at that time a 1 ct D FL diamond was near $60k?
23.gif
6.gif
gold has been very strong in last 6-8 months,hit a 25 yr high ($575 oz) couple days ago.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all; My observation - a long term chart would provide a real perspective on what has been happening. It might be interesting to also list other things (cost of gold, "inflation", etc).

Perry

levigarrett

Rough_Rock
Thanks alot PS.

I cant wait to search for the Asscher but I have to save for about 2 1/2 more months.

I am an electrician apprentice and like all resources like copper and other medals the price has
raised alot nearly double in 18 months.

Thank you all so much and I thought I have found the perfect asscher but it was already sold.

If anyone runs across an asscher that could be a great deal let me know please,
I have the money now just wanted to save a little more.

ASSCHER Specs that I am looking for:

Carat size: 1.1- 1.25
Depth: 65-70%
Table: 55-64%
Polish: EX /VG
Sym: EX/VG
Girdle: M -TH
Crown: 10-15%
L/W: as close to 1 as possible
Flour: I DONT KNOW

This is my goal and no more than $6200
31.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Levi,

This asscher is a little smaller than you say you're looking for, but it's right around what you want to spend ($5816). It's an F, VVS1 EX/EX asscher with a nice brillancescope. I don't know how to read asscher idealscopes well, but hopefully strmrdr will chime in. He's the resident asscher expert!

.91, F, VVS1

levigarrett

Rough_Rock
Than ebree I think that is a nice asscher but a little to small. Most asschers show smaller than a PR cut and i need to make up for it.
Still keep me in mind,
I am working with Tim from GOG and still looking
I plan to post a search on ROCKYTALK with some pics within a couple of weeks

GMAN

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought my asscher from GOG and am thrilled with it. Good luck in your search GMAN and also check out www.whiteflash.com as well. Can you tell us what size you are looking for??

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 11:21:17 PM
Author: Pricescope

I remember that. The price of silver flatware also skyrocketed. I assume, therefore, that the price of gold was up, too. (Does anyone recall?)

Looking back, it was insane of anyone to buy when the prices were so high. Why buy as prices go up? I''m of the school to buy (anything) when the blood runs in the street!

Also: isn''t there a thread on Pricescope about DeBeers'' profits rising?

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS-I had only read as far as Leonid or Irina's posting when I posted above. Dancing Fire addressed the same issue I did: whether the 1980s spike in diamond prices wasn't due to the same forces causing a spike in gold and other commodity prices.

34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results