shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this too pricey?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paliquito

Rough_Rock
I''ve been shopping around and doing the research thing for my fiance-to-be, and I was wondering if the ring I''m interesting in purchasing is too pricey. It is a cushion cwt., IVS certified, .78 ct, HS1...at the price of $3600... $3800. with tax and all. I was originally going for a princess cut, but not sure if I should pick the cushion over the princess cut (same cwt). This of course is not my ring to wear, but i want the very best for her; even though she has mentioned that diamond size really don''t matter. She hates it when i go all out and pay expensive things for her.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Has she told you she wants a cushion or princess?

If not, consider an ideal cut round brilliant. It will give you the most bang for the buck.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I looked at some of your old posts and noticed you were from Texas. How far away from Houston? Take a visit to Whiteflash!!! Being so close to the diamond Mecca, you are a lucky guy! They will have all the shapes for you to view in person. It''ll be worth the trip!

paliquito

Rough_Rock
I think I''m about 9 hours away from Houston. I''m based out of Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls; about 1.5 hours north of Dallas. The lady at the Jewelry store, "Doves", says the ring has a combination of the princess cut and the round, and it did appear to be when i looked at it.

paliquito

Rough_Rock
oh, yeah...she has no idea to what i am up two. She''s not one to be considered a avid diamoand guru or anything, yet i do wonder why she''s not like most women, women who are born with the knowledge to which ring she wants. Hmmm...

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
If you go to the top of the page you can enter the specs you want in the "Pricescope My Diamond" box. I did a search for H SI1 cushions in your size range and I came up with 1-2k. You will being paying extra at a B&M store but that seems like a little much to me. Also, what is an IVS certification? I would only trues GIA and AGS but that is just me. Good luck!

paliquito

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your wisdom indecisvie. Can one really trust ordering a solitare thru the mail though? It seem like a person could get shafted if they don''t get the luxury in seeing the diamond up close in personal. Are there any trust worthy places to order from like the price you came up with?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

My boyfriend is going to be buying my stone from Good Old Gold (once I stop changing my mind on what I want!) but Whiteflas, and the other Pricescope recommended vendors, have very good reputation. They also have a pretty long return period where you can have the stone shipped to an independent appraiser to make sure you are getting what you thought and so you can see the stone first. That way you could return the stone if you didn''t like it and all you would be out was shipping(and Whiteflash isn''t too far so the shipping might not be too bad). As long as it is a trusted vendor I don''t see a problem with buying online. Just do your homework, as you already are by coming on Pricescope!

Here is the list of Pricescope approved vendors
https://www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp
And here are 2 independent appraisers in Texas
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers_TX.aspx
Good luck and make sure to post pictures when you make your decision!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Does that price include the setting? If not, I think it is overpriced but a substantial amount.

You absolutely can get a diamond online. Many, many of us here have done so. Chances are the diamond will be better cut and less expesice than diamonds you find in tradional jewelry stores. Whiteflash and Good Old Gold are two of the best. All you need to do is call them up, tell them what it is you want and they will begin searching for you. They are excellent with describing a diamond over the phone and giving you their honest opinion, even if that means telling you that a cheaper diamond is more beautiful than another, more expensive diamond. They will also get you picturese, IS images, copies of certs, etc. Once you find a diamond or two that you really like, they can send them to an appraiser in your area where you can view them in person without committing to buying them.
They also have wonderful return policies and have no reason not to be truthful with you, as you will more than likely just send a diamond back that is not what you thought you were getting.

I, personally, would only go with an AGS or GIA certified diamond.

http://www.whiteflash.com/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Paliquito,

I know it might be a little un-nerving to think about buying a diamond ring worth a couple or more thousand dollars over the net, however, many people have already done so, including myself from Jonathan @ Good Old Gold! Just think, people order more expensive things than diamonds via net or mail order. Both vendors offer a wonderful product and offer a very generous return/exchange policy in my opinion.

It took me awhile to educate myself, and to read all the post''s here, and then I started looking. I agree with what Jelly, Indecisive, & Jazmine said above. You will be in good hands with Good Old Gold or Whiteflash.

If your lovely lady isn''t picky with stone shape, you will probably get more diamond for your $$$ if you go with a Round brilliant, Hearts & arrows cut stone. If the diamond is cut correctly, you should be able to get a diamond that sparkles like crazy and will fit within your budget. I have found that I can get a better deal for my hard earned $$$ by buying from a trusted on-line vendor!

Best wishes & good luck!
35.gif

Hansel

Rough_Rock
This is just my opinion and I may be wrong, but you can avoid taxes by buying outside of your state. And you might not think 10% or 5% (whatever it may be) is not a lot, however consider this. If you diamond and ring is $3,800 total and tax is 10% then you have to pay $380 on top of what you are spending. If tax is 5% then it is $190. I don''t know about other people, but $400-$200 can bust a budget. That''s just my opinion. Also, keep in mind there are other hidden costs to buying a diamond (which I hadn''t considered when I first started) like: tax, insurance, setting costs, apprasal costs. $200 doesn''t sound like a lot, but tack on $150 to have it set, $125 to have it apprased, $300 for a year of insurance, and you are talking about $775. For me $775 is not chump change, it''s like food for two months. This could just be me ranting though, because I just found out the setting I got was too big and I might still be upset about that.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 6:10:48 PM
Author: Hansel
This is just my opinion and I may be wrong, but you can avoid taxes by buying outside of your state. And you might not think 10% or 5% (whatever it may be) is not a lot, however consider this. If you diamond and ring is $3,800 total and tax is 10% then you have to pay $380 on top of what you are spending. If tax is 5% then it is $190. I don''t know about other people, but $400-$200 can bust a budget. That''s just my opinion. Also, keep in mind there are other hidden costs to buying a diamond (which I hadn''t considered when I first started) like: tax, insurance, setting costs, apprasal costs. $200 doesn''t sound like a lot, but tack on $150 to have it set, $125 to have it apprased, $300 for a year of insurance, and you are talking about $775. For me $775 is not chump change, it''s like food for two months. This could just be me ranting though, because I just found out the setting I got was too big and I might still be upset about that.

This was a big incentive for me as well to use the internet, besides superior quality and superior prices.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hansel & Garysax,

Great point about the tax! I currently live in a state that has "No Sales Tax". So, I save alot over a years course.

I grew up in San Diego, and I can remember that we would alway shop at the Naval exhchange & commissary there, buy gas on the base ... just to save on Tax!

When you are buying a big $$$ item, it would be wise to obviously buy it in a fashion that would not charge you sales tax! Money is money!

I think most on-line vendors do not charge tax unless you live in the same state as the vendor, and there state has tax. I could be wrong though.

Have a great weekend!
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 6:55:28 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Hansel & Garysax,

Great point about the tax! I currently live in a state that has ''No Sales Tax''. So, I save alot over a years course.

I grew up in San Diego, and I can remember that we would alway shop at the Naval exhchange & commissary there, buy gas on the base ... just to save on Tax!

When you are buying a big $$$ item, it would be wise to obviously buy it in a fashion that would not charge you sales tax! Money is money!

I think most on-line vendors do not charge tax unless you live in the same state as the vendor, and there state has tax. I could be wrong though.

Have a great weekend!
35.gif
You are correct!!
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 6:10:48 PM
Author: Hansel
This is just my opinion and I may be wrong, but you can avoid taxes by buying outside of your state.

this was discussed here before and you are actually supposed to claim your purchase on your taxes. i''ll see if i can find the thread..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found it. you can read about it here
39.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I am so glad my state doesn''t have sales tax yet! I think we are a few of the very few that still don''t have it.
10.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
At first I didn''t want to get an engagement ring online. Here''s what changed my mind.

1. After discovering Pricescope and educating myself, I was turned off when I went to local jewelers where I knew more about diamonds than the salespeople. They tell straight out lies, it''s sick!

2. I checked the Better Business Bureau for my online vendor, Whiteflash. They checked out clean.

3. I compared prices. With a small budget to work with, I was able to get an ideal, AGS certified stone, in a gorgeous setting for an amazing price.

4. I was able to get advice and honest opinions here on PS from consumers, not salespeople.

5. My online vendor has a fabulous trade-up policy.

6. My online vendor was willing to give me details about the diamond, idealscope images, sarin, etc.

Hansel

Rough_Rock
39.gif
I think I am still
29.gif
from the setting fiasco. Thanks for the info about the taxes, that could have been a huge disaster. Hopefully, I can get out of it because I am grad student. This is gonna hurt kids, better hang on tight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results