shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this the worst stone you''ve ever seen for sale on a reputable site?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dzop

Shiny_Rock
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluerns6103-sm.html

It''s the perfect stone.... if you''re looking for something inky and sleepy, with lots of grey overtones. Like the bastard child of a Tunduru spinel and an Australian sapphire.

Oh yeah, and here''s the description from the site: "A deep rich Ceylon blue color, excellent velvety depth of color and clarity. All in all a stunning sapphire."

Seriously!? And he''s charging ~$500/ct for it, as a heated stone, so he obviously believes its of decent quality. Is this just the worst picture ever taken of a decent sapphire? Did he take it in candlelight?

bluerns6103-1.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
It''s the perfect stone.... if you''re looking for something inky and sleepy, with lots of grey overtones. Like the bastard child of a Tunduru spinel and an Australian sapphire.

ROFL - that''s made my day
1.gif

(sorry this post wasn''t very useful)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds like a fun topic, but when I first saw this, I immediately thought of something other than a stone.
emcrook.gif
Now, I don't know if it counts because it's not faceted, but still!! And this is from a site with lots of beautiful gems. Wow, did this stick out like a sore thumb!

http://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=7376&id=31413

dzop

Shiny_Rock
The problem with being a former-geologist is that to me, that looks like a great stone... classic crystal form!

Date: 12/9/2009 11:24:38 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
This sounds like a fun topic, but when I first saw this, I immediately thought of something other than a stone.
emcrook.gif
Now, I don''t know if it counts because it''s not faceted, but still!! And this is from a site with lots of beautiful gems. Wow, did this stick out like a sore thumb!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 11:32:40 PM
Author: dzop
The problem with being a former-geologist is that to me, that looks like a great stone... classic crystal form!

emcrook.gif
Now, I don''t know if it counts because it''s not faceted, but still!! And this is from a site with lots of beautiful gems. Wow, did this stick out like a sore thumb!

Oh no!! To me it looks like something else (one can only guess). I''m so bad!!
emembarrassed.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 11:23:56 PM
Author: bleeblue

ROFL - that''s made my day
1.gif
Ditto, LOL!

Oh, TL, that comparison is spot on
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, I have no idea what you mean. You''ll have to tell me offline.
9.gif

Dzop, indeed I have no idea how that sapphire can be considered a stunning stone. I love your sense of humour though. What a great way for me to start the morning.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Consumers can select that one stone that inspires delight. But gemstone dealers unfortunately have to buy stones in large lots, and buying the lot with a few stunning specimens usually means buying a bunch of ordinary stones and a few outright dogs. Usually the dogs are set aside for recut or put in the ''damaged'' bin, but a lot of the ordinary stones need to be sold if any profit is to be made.

It is indeed sad when mediocre pieces are offered for sale at unreasonable prices and touted as high quality stones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emcrook.gif

Eugh! Doggie do!!! (Well if no-one else will say it, I will
9.gif
)

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Yep LD- my first thought was "Oh God, that''s a turd on a bad, bad day".
3.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well then I''m glad that I buy my stones one at a time and take a long time picking them out!! (Unlike the vendors who have to buy stuff in lots)

Neither of those posted are something I''d want to get stuck with! TFS

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 5:14:49 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
Yep LD- my first thought was ''Oh God, that''s a turd on a bad, bad day''.
3.gif
A fossilized turd!! LOL!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe thats what it really is....they dug it up in their back yard and decided to make a buck on it....

Maybe they can sell it to a museum as dinosour poop.

Date: 12/10/2009 9:42:24 PM

Date: 12/10/2009 5:14:49 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
Yep LD- my first thought was 'Oh God, that's a turd on a bad, bad day'.
3.gif
A fossilized turd!! LOL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all who are daring enough to tell me what it looks like.
9.gif
The proper term for fossilized turd is coprolite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results