shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting safe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of this Etienne Perret ring, and the price seems reasonable.
halo3.jpg
halo4.jpg

1. Is this setting safe? I like the idea tha a small part of the diamond is not enclosed but at the same time I am worried that the pavilon and tip area might get damaged because it is exposed.
2. Is it too modernish for an OEC?

I would like an antique settings for the OEC, or even a reproduction, but I have found many to be prong set, ornate and very high. I am looking for something simple and low set with no extra diamonds. I thought a bezel would be a good idea also to protect the OEC since I wouldn't want it to get damaged.

Any other ideas? I've looked at Fay Cullen (too busy, high set and ornate) and AntiqueEngagementRings. I found a pretty flower type setting that Leigh is currently making a reproduction but wonder if it is safer to get a bezel type setting.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I would never bezel set an OEC.
Other opinions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the first I''ve heard about it not being a good idea. Would you please explain why? I thought it is best to protect the girdle since many of these sold stones have thin girdles and are prone to scratches, nicks and chips.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But Stephan.......if I recall correctly, you''ve said you wouldn''t bezel set anything. Chrono''s asking if the setting is safe for an OEC, and I can''t imagine why it would not be safe????

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 4:21:45 PM
Author:Chrono
Any other ideas? I''ve looked at Fay Cullen (too busy, high set and ornate) and AntiqueEngagementRings. I found a pretty flower type setting that Leigh is currently making a reproduction but wonder if it is safer to get a bezel type setting.

WAIT A MINUTE! Do you mean he''s making a reproduction of this ring?
6.gif
6.gif

8147A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn''t the pavilon kind of exposed? I like the fact that I can see the side, it allows more light in from the bottom, and the ease of cleaning, but what are the chances of the exposed pavilon being damaged?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this thread that shows Widget''s awesome milligrained bezel OEC earrings.

Wouldn''t a ring like THAT be fab!!

widgeterings.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2006 4:29:16 PM
Author: Wren

Date: 3/8/2006 4:21:45 PM
Author:Chrono
Any other ideas? I''ve looked at Fay Cullen (too busy, high set and ornate) and AntiqueEngagementRings. I found a pretty flower type setting that Leigh is currently making a reproduction but wonder if it is safer to get a bezel type setting.

WAIT A MINUTE! Do you mean he''s making a reproduction of this ring?
6.gif
6.gif

8147A.jpg
Yes. In truth, I actually asked about this ring because I like the simple yet feminine flower work, but it was sold. However, Leigh said that he is currently making a replica and would get back to me about it. I wonder how "safe" this setting is versus a bezel? It looks like the girdle is quite well protected.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about that, especially with an OEC where the culet isn''t pointed.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 4:31:38 PM
Author: decodelighted
Have you seen this thread that shows Widget''s awesome milligrained bezel OEC earrings.

Wouldn''t a ring like THAT be fab!!
Wow, that''s an awesome look! can''t you just imagine it with a graceful cathedral shank?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or this thread about Fountain Fairfax''s custom bezel ring for an antique stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2006 4:31:38 PM
Author: decodelighted
Have you seen this thread that shows Widget's awesome milligrained bezel OEC earrings.

Wouldn't a ring like THAT be fab!!
My other thought was to have a low set thin milgrained bezel (much like Widget's OEC earring setting) on a thin band with simple wheat engraving. I do want to keep the cost low so I will not be going the custom work route.

Oh, I see that FF's custom ring also has the pavilon exposed. Hmmm.........

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring in the photo with the bezel on top of the shank is an interesting "look". I suppose it might work nicely to hold a diamond of any age. It will protect the girdle and the culet is not out in harm's way when the ring is being worn. I suppose it looks pretty safe if one compared it to a tension set style or a ring where the diamond was high up off the finger.

The estate ring with the leafy engraved shank is a classic look, as well. Not a contemporary design, but probably a classic in proportions and finish. Remember, when those rings of the 1920's were new, they were heavier and thicker. The ones we see today, even in very good condition have years of wear on them. This helps them to look "delicate" in comparison to a new item. It is generally evidence of substantial wear that creates this impression.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 4:33:16 PM
Author: Chrono

Yes. In truth, I actually asked about this ring because I like the simple yet feminine flower work, but it was sold. However, Leigh said that he is currently making a replica and would get back to me about it. I wonder how ''safe'' this setting is versus a bezel? It looks like the girdle is quite well protected.
Oh that ring has just broken my heart several times by now. It was sold, and then it came back, but my bf said we couldn''t afford it, and then it sold again. I think that ring has made me cry more times than anything else in my life. I wonder how nicely the repro will come out?
It looked pretty safe to me and I had asked Leigh about the setting and he said it was very secure even with the wear a ring of that age always has.

Like you I''m also very fond of bezels and oec''s. It''s amazing how hard it is to find an antique style setting that isn''t fussy and pavé''d.
Personally, while I like the low halo look, I think it''s just too modern and clunky to stylistically fit an oec diamond.
And really how could you damage the pavillion of a diamond in the halo ring without sticking your hand in a meat grinder?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too simple and plain? I like the simplicity but wonder if it is too plain? Plus, I''d prefer PT or WG.

AntiqueS1a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view of the same setting.

AntiqueS1c.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the detailed engraving on this one and I think might be a bezel setting, but it costs too much for something so simple, $1200, I think.

DetailedEngraving.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another simple bezel that I adore. I can do without the side diamonds but since this is custom work, I am very sure it is beyond my budget.
I'm sure everyone gets some idea of my tastes now.

simplebezel.jpg

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I love that one too!
I wouldn''t be so sure about custom work costing more. It''s always worth asking.

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
What is an EOC?

I gather that it''s an old diamond?

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Oops, I mean OEC?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 5:43:44 PM
Author: argh&stuff
What is an EOC? I gather that it''s an old diamond?

OEC stands for Old European Cut ... a cutting style seen on many antique stones. As far as I know they don''t cut them anymore ... (true? anyone?)

OMC stands for Old Mine Cut ... ditto

There are also French Cut, Rose Cut, Transitional Cut ...

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Decode...

What are cuts called for the modern round diamond now?

Is one cut more "delicate" than another?

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
I believe it is Old European Cut
9.gif

ETA: Man I'm slow! D'oh!
37.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I suspect that EP ring must be secure. I''ve never seen it in person but if it''s not people will lose a lot of diamonds! Personally, my favorite look for OMC and OECs is a thin, milgrained bezel. Someday, when I get my dream larger OMC, I will put it in a classic milgrained bezel, with engraving or pave down the shank.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Old Diamonds!? Anyone?
10.gif

LINK

The estimates remind me of how much higer the hammer price ends up on these things. Skinner online, of course. And a hoard of OEC and OMC and some other things...

What would you of the old-diamond-fan-club pic up on a whim?
9.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, as you are not telling us what the stone's size is for the third day on the row
9.gif
, i only can suggest this ring from here for my OEC to be set in.

ChronoNota_bezel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry everyone. I got so carried away I forgot to type in the size of the stone.
37.gif
It''s a 0.88ct measuring 6.09 x 5.98 x 3.82 mm.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does that mean you bought it?? If so then congrats!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2006 2:35:12 PM
Author: kaleigh
Does that mean you bought it?? If so then congrats!!!!
No! Not yet, though I am leaning heavily that way. I''ve asked Bob for a side view of the 0.88ct just to be 100% sure before I buy it. It''s never too early to shop for settings.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results