shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Sapphire purchase possible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all, it has been a while! I have to say that I am really unlucky with most of my recent gemstone purchases..(sigh). Anyway, I was wondering if it anyone out there can advice if its possible to purchase a custom-cut, Unheated, royal blue Sapphire asscher approx 7.5mm at below $700? And which cutter should I approach? TIA!

Ilovegemsstones

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Chic

I dont think its possible Under US $ 700
May be if you have a budget of $ 1400 - 1800

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dont know much about cutting sapphires, so I offer good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Highly unlikely for $700 since you are looking for top colour, unheated and around 2 ct. Add precision cutting to the mix and I’d say it’s probably closer to $2K unless you are willing to accept some eye visible inclusions.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A well done Asscher cut in a 7.5mm size will weigh at least 2.5 carats, maybe closer to 3 carats, (due to it''s greater depth). Unheated royal blue sapphires in that size range are going for close to $2000 per carat. This makes finding something in the $700 neighborhood very unlikely or a misrepresented synthetic, (plenty of that on the web). Finding a cutter is not the problem, since there are very few cutters anywhere that will ever get access to the rough to cut such a stone. If we could find the rough to cut this it would have to be well shaped and still weigh around 10 carats. At a rough cost of maybe $200 per carat the cutter would have to pay $2000 for the stone. You might be able to get a very dark blue sapphire with some green cross color in that price, but would need to ask around about who might have rough in that size and price range.

It''s very difficult to find top qualities of anything at budget prices and I would warn against the idea that if you look long enough something great AND inexpensive will fall into your hands. This idea puts people in the perfect position to get taken advantage of by unscrupulous sellers who will misrepresent their goods, sell them at what seems to be fantastic prices and disappear, leaving you holding something much less than what you had assumed you were getting. Take care !

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but that just isn't going to happen. My sapphire from Jeff White was a bit more than that and is only 6.7x6.7 (2.15 carats). That was also a few years ago and I believe Jeff's prices have gone up since. But it is not royal blue, it's a much lighter blue that I love, but certainly is not the highly "desirable" royal color.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:52:31 AM
Author:chictomato
Hi all, it has been a while! I have to say that I am really unlucky with most of my recent gemstone purchases..(sigh). Anyway, I was wondering if it anyone out there can advice if its possible to purchase a custom-cut, Unheated, royal blue Sapphire asscher approx 7.5mm at below $700? And which cutter should I approach? TIA!
$2,000 - 2,500 per carat for these specifications.

However, keep open to possibilities: slightly heat treated will change the pricing. As will non-custom cut, and in a darker or lighter colour.

Also, patience! It takes time to find the right one.

LS

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I bought mine last year. I believe I got a very good price. My stone is heated,not precision cut, lighter than what is considered ideal, and less than two carats. I paid more than your quote.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 11:54:35 AM
Author: Michael_E

It''s very difficult to find top qualities of anything at budget prices and I would warn against the idea that if you look long enough something great AND inexpensive will fall into your hands. This idea puts people in the perfect position to get taken advantage of by unscrupulous sellers who will misrepresent their goods, sell them at what seems to be fantastic prices and disappear, leaving you holding something much less than what you had assumed you were getting. Take care !
I''m always on a budget and this is what''s always running through my mind...sometimes you just "get what you pay for."

Maybe if you could go to a different size or color it would change the price for you.

Good Luck!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all thank you so much for the input! Due to the huge variation in pricing, and being pretty much a novice, I honestly do not know if there is such possibility. Well, now I know there isn''t:) Thanks again for all advices!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Just some food for thought, I just bought a precision cut royal blue sapphire in the color you want (i think) with traditional heat treatment and it was a smidge over triple what you are looking to spend.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2010 10:08:15 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Just some food for thought, I just bought a precision cut royal blue sapphire in the color you want (i think) with traditional heat treatment and it was a smidge over triple what you are looking to spend.

Thanks for the info:)!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all, I came across this Royal Blue unheated Madagascar Sapphire. Its described as Royal Blue Color with no traces of Purplish or Grayish hue. Guaranteed a Perfect color under all lightings and does not display dark or deep color. The Cut is Perfect and no cracks or chips. The clarity is very very clean. The color saturation is even. Priced at $499. What do you think? Does it seems too dark? Do you think it has a window? TIA

ETA: Weight: 1.48 ct.
Size(WxLxH): 8.2 x 5.7 x 4.3

modsap_resize_img.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think its going to be very dark IRL. Does it have a good return policy? If so, grab it and see what you think. If you dont like it send it back.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 8:25:02 AM
Author: RockHugger
I think its going to be very dark IRL. Does it have a good return policy? If so, grab it and see what you think. If you dont like it send it back.

Ditto; see how much light has been flooded into the stone by the tweezer reflection and background colour. Also, there is a very small window but the stone will be so dark that most people probably won''t notice it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/20/2010 5:58:27 AM
Author: chictomato
Hi all, I came across this Royal Blue unheated Madagascar Sapphire. Its described as Royal Blue Color with no traces of Purplish or Grayish hue. Guaranteed a Perfect color under all lightings and does not display dark or deep color. The Cut is Perfect and no cracks or chips. The clarity is very very clean. The color saturation is even. Priced at $499. What do you think? Does it seems too dark? Do you think it has a window? TIA

I don''t trust the vendor, based on your description. Very, very clean is not a clarity grade. Saturation is even sounds like the only good thing they could say about the over saturation (normally, a stone would be described as having little colour zoning). The colour is very deep and I would expect it to look inky. The cut is not perfect - it has a window. Is there a certificate that states it is unheated (I don''t think so...)?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 11:54:35 AM
Author: Michael_E
A well done Asscher cut in a 7.5mm size will weigh at least 2.5 carats, maybe closer to 3 carats, (due to it's greater depth). Unheated royal blue sapphires in that size range are going for close to $2000 per carat. This makes finding something in the $700 neighborhood very unlikely or a misrepresented synthetic, (plenty of that on the web). Finding a cutter is not the problem, since there are very few cutters anywhere that will ever get access to the rough to cut such a stone. If we could find the rough to cut this it would have to be well shaped and still weigh around 10 carats. At a rough cost of maybe $200 per carat the cutter would have to pay $2000 for the stone. You might be able to get a very dark blue sapphire with some green cross color in that price, but would need to ask around about who might have rough in that size and price range.

It's very difficult to find top qualities of anything at budget prices and I would warn against the idea that if you look long enough something great AND inexpensive will fall into your hands. This idea puts people in the perfect position to get taken advantage of by unscrupulous sellers who will misrepresent their goods, sell them at what seems to be fantastic prices and disappear, leaving you holding something much less than what you had assumed you were getting. Take care !
Are there issues with getting such a dark color in an asscher as it has reduced white light return versus a brilliant cut?
Do you have to go lower in either tone or saturation to make up for this to avoid a dark stone that will only have life in a small range of lighting conditions?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great post, Michael E. informative, easy to understand.

if that pear is as described, then it would be selling for more. that doesn''t mean you might not like it and be able to live with it.

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 5:58:27 AM
Author: chictomato

I would tell him that you are looking for true royal blue color, not so dark in tone, but medium tone, and very little grey or purple and very saturated in blue, even color (very little zoning). I'm not sure how strict you are on clarity, but you can add that as well in your specifications. Let him come back with heated and unheated examples, so you have more to choose from, and you can see the color variations a little better. I think that stone is too dark IMO.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank to all the replies! Yes comparing this sapphire to the others on the site. This pear does seems particularly darker. I shall keep on looking
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results