shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this ring worth the $?

poofhead

Rough_Rock
After much looking I have found the engagement ring that I want but am hesitant because I do not know enough about the diamond buying process to know if this is worth or not. I wanted an art deco, old miners cut platinum ring and found this one that seems to be perfect. This is all of the information I have on the ring besides pictures. I put in an offer of $3,500 and was counter offered $3,650. I am contemplating taking the offer, but is it worth it? I have uploaded a pic and do have more if needed. Thanks to all in advance for your assistance with this life changing purchase.

Center Diamond:
.90ct. Old Miner Round Diamond
6.3mm diameter
J-color, Si-1 clarity.

Side Diamonds:
1.00ct. side diamonds
H-color, Vs-2 si-1 clarity.

Ring:
Platinum
3.9gms.

Depth 6.6mm

__kgrhqv__h8f_fe2__1_bquk_ukm____60_57.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The center diamond looks quite yellow, and I suspect it is a lower color than a J. What is the basis of the J/Si-1 eye-clean rating? The cut pattern on the diamond is not particularly attractive to me. Does it come with a decent return policy that would allow you to take it to a skilled independent appraiser? Are you in love with it?

Have you looked for comparable antique pieces at a reputable vendors like jbEG? Their pieces come with an appraisal from David Atlas, who is a very reputable vendor, and their larger stones come with an EGL or GIA certs. You can read about the difference between these certs on Pricescope:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/

To price out loose stones, Old World Diamonds is a good place:
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/

You may be able to find less expensive diamonds elsewhere than OWD, but you may have to take more risk. Personally, $3K is too much for me to take much risk. If I were buying from an unknown vendor, I would bring it to an independent appraiser. You may need an appraisal anyway for insurance purposes.

Lastly, if you want help looking for old cut diamonds or pieces, you will get more responses on Rocky Talky.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results