shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this ring safe to resize from 4 to 3.5 ?

Chardonnay

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I ordered this band and JA won't resize to my 3.5. Their smallest size is 4. We are thinking to bring it to local jeweler for resizing.
Could a jeweler resize from 4 to 3.5 without impacting integrity of the ring ?
1.5 ct, Platinum, F/VS

Thank you

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really tiny difference. I would recommend just having sizing beads or a bar put in - no need to resize.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really tiny difference. I would recommend just having sizing beads or a bar put in - no need to resize.

+1. As a former size 3.75 who grew to a size 5 over the last 16 years despite gaining only 5 lbs, I'm now having to spend big bucks to size everything up because they won't go past my enlarged knuckles anymore.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sizing up would be far easier than sizing this ring smaller. It is not a big size difference, so it can be done. You will likely not be able to round it out fully, but it should look perfectly fine on your finger. If you attempt to perfectly round it up, one or more diamonds may become loose and require some tightening. I'd suggest putting one a ring guard for a few months to see how your finger reacts. Many folks have fingers that get larger over time or seasonally. You can shim inside with a speed bump without doing any damage, too. It makes no sense to me why a vendor would not offer you that reasonable option. Most any decent bench jeweler could do it easily.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with trying those speed bump thingies or such like

We just had 5 months of hot weather where most of my rings seemed too tight

after two cooler nights my rings that were much too tight now fit and the ones that fitted are now too loose

And its just spring now for you guys
I'd hold off on any resizing for a bit

Good luck, its a beautiful rinh

chere

Shiny_Rock
I had a sizing bar/liner added to my last ring. It’s extremely comfortable. This was laser welded on. The inside of the ring feels smooth, like one piece. It can be shaved down if my finger size changes.

I highly recommend over sizing beads.

Platinum Unlimited Pillow.JPG

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1. As a former size 3.75 who grew to a size 5 over the last 16 years despite gaining only 5 lbs, I'm now having to spend big bucks to size everything up because they won't go past my enlarged knuckles anymore.

Oh my goodness! The same thing happened to me KristyDarling! I have actually lost weight in the last 15 years and my finger size went from a hair under 4 to almost a
4 3/4. I'm so grateful for the rings that were too loose on me when I bought them. Thankfully 2 of my 3 eternity bands were a half a size too large so those still fit just fine but one of my eternity bands is really too small now. I don't think my knuckles actually got much larger. I think just my fingers overall are more "beefy."
Interesting to read that I'm not the only one!:)

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! And to OP.. sorry to momentarily take your thread in a different direction. I agree with the above posters to just have balls or a bar put in. Ya never know when you will need the extra space.:D

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! The same thing happened to me KristyDarling! I have actually lost weight in the last 15 years and my finger size went from a hair under 4 to almost a
4 3/4. I'm so grateful for the rings that were too loose on me when I bought them. Thankfully 2 of my 3 eternity bands were a half a size too large so those still fit just fine but one of my eternity bands is really too small now. I don't think my knuckles actually got much larger. I think just my fingers overall are more "beefy."
Interesting to read that I'm not the only one!:)

"Beefy" is the perfect word to describe this middle-aged growth spurt! :mrgreen: I'm also glad I never had my looser rings resized. When I was a young woman I never thought my finger size would change THAT much. I'm now late 40s, finally have time to exercise 6x/week, and I'm the leanest/most muscle-y I've ever been.....BUT my fingers! They keep growing!! I plan to add speed bumps to my old size 4 eternity bands so they can become pinky rings. :lol:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Beefy" is the perfect word to describe this middle-aged growth spurt! :mrgreen: I'm also glad I never had my looser rings resized. When I was a young woman I never thought my finger size would change THAT much. I'm now late 40s, finally have time to exercise 6x/week, and I'm the leanest/most muscle-y I've ever been.....BUT my fingers! They keep growing!! I plan to add speed bumps to my old size 4 eternity bands so they can become pinky rings. :lol:

Haahaaa! "Middle aged growth spurt!" :lol:
Let's compare notes in 10 years and see if we are up to a size 7.:shock:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haahaaa! "Middle aged growth spurt!" :lol:
Let's compare notes in 10 years and see if we are up to a size 7.:shock:

That's what happened to my mom! Her original e-ring at age 20 was a size 3.5. She is now wearing a 7.5 (she's in her 70s). Granted, she has gained weight, but her hands, fingers, and overall bones have gotten bigger with time, which I understand is normal and to be expected. All the more reason to err on the side of slightly loose than "just right"! And of course there's also the heat-induced swelling that affects most of us. 8)

fel

Shiny_Rock
Just to give another view, my fingers have gotten smaller, as I lose flesh in my hands from aging. They were bigger while pregnant and nursing. I also haven't gained any weight since high school -- basically since I stopped growing -- except while pregnant.

I would never resize for half a size -- what I do is stack with something smaller, so that the ring can't fall off. Also, my fingers change a full size depending on weather, so resizing with that level of precision doesn't make sense.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to give another view, my fingers have gotten smaller, as I lose flesh in my hands from aging. They were bigger while pregnant and nursing. I also haven't gained any weight since high school -- basically since I stopped growing -- except while pregnant.

I would never resize for half a size -- what I do is stack with something smaller, so that the ring can't fall off. Also, my fingers change a full size depending on weather, so resizing with that level of precision doesn't make sense.

+100!!!

Chardonnay

Rough_Rock
Hi , i just wanted to give you guys an update. I received the ring from JA. I’m not sure if I’m too picky or this is normal for this type of ring ?
Look like the stones aren’t set probably to me. Are the stones sitting evenly to your eyes? Is it supposed to be like that?

Attachments

• 20ED7DC9-CE8A-43F9-95B2-5D40C9CA15EA.jpeg
    20ED7DC9-CE8A-43F9-95B2-5D40C9CA15EA.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 8
  • F2A41D5D-E384-4FE8-BB9C-B51A7923ECA2.jpeg
    F2A41D5D-E384-4FE8-BB9C-B51A7923ECA2.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 74F2750A-4599-48B6-908B-5672DDD5963D.jpeg
    74F2750A-4599-48B6-908B-5672DDD5963D.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 4853EBB9-C1E1-48B5-8033-59D8032E81D1.jpeg
    4853EBB9-C1E1-48B5-8033-59D8032E81D1.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 057B625B-52A7-4B88-A955-24E74D9A8114.jpeg
    057B625B-52A7-4B88-A955-24E74D9A8114.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 5E188537-472A-4DF0-A145-7232F003DBFE.jpeg
    5E188537-472A-4DF0-A145-7232F003DBFE.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 4857195B-607B-47DA-A8E1-7D32723F7F25.jpeg
    4857195B-607B-47DA-A8E1-7D32723F7F25.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Chardonnay

Rough_Rock

This ring is wedding band and now it slips out of my finger easily when I put on, lol. I’m pretty clumsy so my fiancé need to be sure that it get stuck there, so does the marriage. Lol

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Unless stones are really identical (extremely unlikely with ovals) it’s completely normal to have some stones sitting very slightly differently to others. What you see in a very very close up photo is invisible to others.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi , i just wanted to give you guys an update. I received the ring from JA. I’m not sure if I’m too picky or this is normal for this type of ring ?
Look like the stones aren’t set probably to me. Are the stones sitting evenly to your eyes? Is it supposed to be like that?

:appl: Your ring is gorgeous!!!!! :appl:

chere

Shiny_Rock
The ring is beautiful on you.

I would get a local jeweler to inspect the setting and adjust the stones. It shouldn't cost a lot. I hope you got this ring during the JA sales...

Chardonnay

Rough_Rock
The ring is beautiful on you.

I would get a local jeweler to inspect the setting and adjust the stones. It shouldn't cost a lot. I hope you got this ring during the JA sales...
I will try my local jeweler. It’s strange that it isn’t as sparkle as the eternity band I’m wearing (from Bluenile). And I have that eternity band wearing for 2 years. .
This JA is new. I got it during the sale.

fel

Shiny_Rock
This ring is wedding band and now it slips out of my finger easily when I put on, lol. I’m pretty clumsy so my fiancé need to be sure that it get stuck there, so does the marriage. Lol
I have been married 28 years so I feel you. My original wedding band was made to the irregular shape of my original engagement ring. I stopped wearing both regularly when I got pregnant less than 1 year into marriage. Now the engagement ring is too tight on me in middle of summer, falls off of me in the winter, but there are a few weeks in the Fall when I can wear it. I never wear it with the wedding ring -- I don't like all that thickness with no spaces. I have since gotten all sorts of stackers that I can wear depending on finger size that day. At one point at about our 10th anniversary my hubby offered to go back to the original artist to remake my wedding and engagement rings, but I said let's get something new instead, so we got my emerald and brown-orange diamond right hand ring. That ring, also, only fits sometimes. Right now it is still too cold-- tried it on the other day and just fell off.

So the marriage is still going stronger than ever but we have needed to be more flexible about rings!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@fel You must be one of the lucky ones whose joints don't grow with time if your fingers shrink from the cold to the point that rings fall off! That would never happen to me because my enlarged knuckles would "catch" any rings from slipping off. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, haha! Your emerald and brown-orange diamond ring sounds so cool and interesting!! Do you have a thread on it somewhere?

@medial Hmm, if you can see that it's not as sparkly as your other band, that could be a problem. You deserve to love it, not just like it. Is it returnable?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No but it was my avatar for a while, and I may have posted it years ago on the emerald thread. It was this one. No one seemed too interested when I posted -- I guess not the conventional style. But I do love it still.

emerald_dia_4.jpeg

Just for the record let it be noted
I adore this !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results