shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this real, untreated Alexandrite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I saw this Alexandrite on ebay its going at a really low price.here''s the lik http://cgi.ebay.com/7-26Ct-EYE-CLEAN-FIREY-COLOR-CHANGE-NATURAL-ALEXANDRITE_W0QQitemZ270455632261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef8697185&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_2217wt_1167 May I know if this is for real? or it is not a Alexandrite after all? Kindly excuse me should my question be silly :) tks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not a low price, you''re paying what it''s worth IMHO. Alexandrite in that quality no longer commands high prices, especially since the various new discoveries of it in Africa and South America.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 4:53:07 AM
Author:chictomato
Hi there I saw this Alexandrite on ebay its going at a really low price.here''s the lik http://cgi.ebay.com/7-26Ct-EYE-CLEAN-FIREY-COLOR-CHANGE-NATURAL-ALEXANDRITE_W0QQitemZ270455632261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef8697185&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_2217wt_1167 May I know if this is for real? or it is not a Alexandrite after all? Kindly excuse me should my question be silly :) tks
Link fixed to make easier to link to.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The “desired” and high priced alexandrites have a colour change of red to green (or teal). This stone does a purple to reddish purple change which is commands a much lower price. The asking price listed seems fair.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm 100% certain that's not an Alexandrite. The colour change is totally wrong. It's either a synthetic gemstone OR a colour change garnet or sapphire. My guess would be that it's synthetic looking at the starting price - the only thing throwing me off is the huge inclusion.

If that was a real 7ct Alexandrite - there's no way, absolutely no way, that that would be sold on Ebay without a huge reserve. Alexandrites over 5ct are difficult to come by.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thanks for all the input! Looks like I will have a lot of reading up to do before deciding on a purchase:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono Congratulation!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/18/2009 4:05:42 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I''m 100% certain that''s not an Alexandrite. The colour change is totally wrong. It''s either a synthetic gemstone OR a colour change garnet or sapphire. My guess would be that it''s synthetic looking at the starting price - the only thing throwing me off is the huge inclusion.

If that was a real 7ct Alexandrite - there''s no way, absolutely no way, that that would be sold on Ebay without a huge reserve. Alexandrites over 5ct are difficult to come by.

I''m in agreement here. 7 cts. of almost anything can''t go for $10 per ct. If that was a color change garnet it would be priced at several hundred dollars per ct. A 7 ct rough color change garnet in Africa would have been $500, just for the rough, and that would only cut a 1.5 to 2.3 ct stone.

The color change looks like color change lab created sapphire. They sometimes heat these, then quench them to make them get inclusions just to throw people off. There is so much synthetic material going around. Even in Tanzania, I saw lab created stuff dressed up to look like natural rough, being pawned off as natural ruby.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be very careful of buying gems on ebay. While there are many very honest gem dealers on ebay, most of it is shark infested waters. You really have to know your stuff to make good purchases on ebay as far as colored gems go.

ETA: Your link above didn't work, so I thought you were talking about the small pear shaped alex in your other thread. I agree with the others that this particular ebay alexandrite seems suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results