shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I noticed in direct sunlight this diamond looses its definition. Mabey its the flour? In the direct sunlight , it turns light violet and
all I can see is that color and no longer can see the brilliancy or the cut. It flashes a lot of color, but it just looks like a stone with no cut, make any sense? My last two rings looked great in direct sunlight but they didnt have the flour. This one only has faint , but I wonder if thats what causes it? The only definition I can see in the DS is the center circle outline of the table. On the other hand in indirect sunllight this thing takes on a whole new life of its own and looks stunning. I also wonder if its the setting , as the sides are open (tension setting) .

In normal lighting the diamond looks fine and you can see the arrows at the rite angle.

Jensia

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My D marquise has faint flourescence but it turns quite violet in direct sunlight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds do behave differently in many lights and many look dark in direct sunlight, this is normal if this is what you are noticing. It might not be the fluorescense as many Ideal Cut diamonds do this, especially if this one is a better cut than the others. A diamond can only reflect the available light hitting it and in direct sunlight, the facets seem to disappear and the diamond can just look dark. I am sure the experts can come up with a better explanation! Look through the eye candy thread and SMTR and you will see this in many of the pics.

I knew there was a thread on this!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-does-my-diamond-do-this-dark-in-sunlight.37481/=

This should help answer your questions.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Yes, thats the words Im looing for,lol Facets. They disapear. It does look dark in the direct sunlight. This one is much better cut that my last two. Its wierd then how the ones that were not cut well looked better in the direct sunlight. ( and I have to live in arizona where there is a LOT of direct sunlight,lol) Is it then that the lower cuts, since they are not paralell (cant spell that) , then reflect the light better as a result?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you might find that this can get more technical, but I have pasted a post from the thread I linked in my last post from an expert which may help. The thread has lots of good info, check it out.

" When you take a diamond into direct lighting (ie, spot lighting, sunlight, etc.) ideal cut diamonds take on a "dark" appearance. Ironically it is in these environments that stones with excessive leakage take on a "brighter" appearance however the flashes of light that come out of an ideal cut in those conditions are way more intense than the non ideal but if you're not aiming the face of the diamond towards the direct light source the stone can take on a darker appearance in those conditions."

Rhino
GoodOldGold.com"
The thread can be found here with his own photos
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-do-some-diamonds-look-dark-inside.35389/=Also click on the above thread too as I am sure these threads will give you the info you want.

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for that link. Yeah its like that. When it diret sunlight, the flash becomes blinding and I can see the flashes of color reflecting off everything in its path. Just no definition of the facets and the darker look. Now it makes sense:) I was worried there for a bit that I got a bad cut,lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad we were able to help! Enjoy your diamond!

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Lol My husband told me , you need to get a poorley cut diamond for your outdoor activities,lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results