carat
color
clarity

Is this model pretty to you?

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2 said:
jaysonsmom said:
I just wanted to point out that most Americans probably wouldn't be posting an extremely obese woman, and calling her unattractive or ugly because we were brought up to be more sensitive to obesity, but I happen to know a lot of skinny people (who cannot help the way they look) that think being called emaciated, or sick extremely hurtful. My mom was one of them...

Exactly. Why is it acceptable to attack a woman who is thin? I'd love to see the reaction if I posted a plus-sized model and said how gross I thought she was.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I also wouldn't go around picking this poor woman apart, especially on a public forum. I would feel dreadful if somehow she saw that a bunch of random people saying these sorts of things. :blackeye:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I never thought I'd see a real person with a Scarlett O'Hara waist. :-o That is crazy!

She has a pretty face, but she's very thin. I hope she doesn't have an eating disorder. :blackeye:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just skin & bone. :knockout:

Berryluv

Rough_Rock
soocool said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I believe a similar thread was started last year when a retouched photo of a model was in the news making her look mych thinner than she actually was.

I was and am thin. My DD is thin, slender whatever you want to call her. Some people are naturally slender, others not. Let's not put a label a person based on what you see with your eyes.

I agree that we shouldn't pick this girl apart. So she doesn't appeal to everyone. Only she and those closest to her know what her deal is. I have been thin nearly all my life. When I put on a little weight once, people actually said I was fat, to my face. I wasn't overweight but angered by the judgement. Later I changed my life style and added in running and any excess weight flew off. Then people said I was too thin. It seems either way people solicit their opinions.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty to me is a face thing and I can't quite see it, though I suspect she probably is... but her body has got to go. Pubescent at best, sickly more accurately... very unattractive. If she was the equal amount overweight I would find her way more attractive than this.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Here's how I feel. I don't necessarily think she looks to be at a healthy weight. That being said we do not know her circumstances. I have a friend who is tall, extremely thin, but who eats like an elephant. The girl has honestly been known to eat everything in my refrigerator, and go home and eat a medium pizza. I've known her my entire life. She's never not eaten. Her body has a naturally high metabolism. Her entire family is this way. This could be the same for this girl and we don't know it.

At the same time, the fashion world has promoted overly thin bodies as being the way we are supposed to look. I see girls walking around at 13 these days who look skin and bone. I have a cousin who I constantly fret over because she eats like a bird. I think that is what most people find to be negative. We have become trained to look at thin women as goddesses to be worshipped. Guess what? Back in the days before corsettes, it was attractive to be voluptuous. I try to keep that in mind when looking at my still somewhat there curves. I'm proud of my body shape. All women should be. We are all beautiful in our own way.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture you post is unattractive - but the first picture of the link shows a completely different person - someone I find attractive.

Its not the build of the body - but the attitude and zest of life.

Lets face it - if someone took a series of pictures of any of us... we all have our dull moments. I suspect the picture you posted was one where she was in "break" mode.

I'll let someone who is better at posting pictures insert the first picture of the link into this thread.

Perry

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Poor thing, she looks a bit like she has Marfan's syndrome. I think it is mean to say if she is attractive or not - to me she looks quite unwell.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it is possible some people are naturally this slender, and for them I respect diversity.

But really, isn't it a HUGE problem in our society that women and girls think being super thin is SUPER important to the point they are harming their health to get there?

I think for this reason is is irresponsible for the producers of America's Next Top Model to even consider bringing a contestant like this into the show.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Someone mentioned earlier that she's wearing a corset (I see it now) - I guess that's why her waist looks so small in the pic? I've never seen anyone with a waist this tiny in proportion to the rest of their body. Her head is wider than it! It looks...very, very unnatural, to say the least. If she's deliberately wearing a corset to achieve this effect, my question would be....why does she think this is a good look to have? :confused:

If she naturally has that small of a waist...then that's a different matter, I think.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny
I definitely agree with you. I've never quite agreed with the show. Their idea of a plus size model is a woman who is a size 4-6. I disagree with much of how fashion has portrayed the ultimately thin woman as being the ideal. I'd much rather have something to show off. :naughty: In all seriousness, it is one thing to show a fit, muscular woman and say... this is healthy. It is one thing to show a mid sized woman (or average as it would be) who has a few curves and say this is healthy. It is another to show extremely thin women and say "this is the ideal". I personally feel like there shouldn't be an ideal unless it is a clinically healthy BMI range. Even then, so many women fall on the high or low end of that scale.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
I know it is possible some people are naturally this slender, and for them I respect diversity.

But really, isn't it a HUGE problem in our society that women and girls think being super thin is SUPER important to the point they are harming their health to get there?

I think for this reason is is irresponsible for the producers of America's Next Top Model to even consider bringing a contestant like this into the show.

If you wanted to have a conversation about the fashion industry perpetuating a beauty ideal that is impossible for many to achieve, then why didn't you start a topic on that? Instead you posted a super tall, super thin woman and asked if people thought she was pretty. Be real-you were going for shock value, not measured responses.

And how is it irresponsible for ANTM producers to feature women who conform to the current ideal beauty standards in the fashion industry? Isn't that THE POINT of the show?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2 said:
kenny said:

If you wanted to have a conversation about the fashion industry perpetuating a beauty ideal that is impossible for many to achieve, then why didn't you start a topic on that? Instead you posted a super tall, super thin woman and asked if people thought she was pretty. Be real-you were going for shock value, not measured responses.

And how is it irresponsible for ANTM producers to feature women who conform to the current ideal beauty standards in the fashion industry? Isn't that THE POINT of the show?

Ditto. Kenny, please post a pic of an overweight model and ask "Is this model pretty to you?" I doubt it would go over well.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
She might just naturally be this thin (with a corset). I'm six feet tall and a size 2 to 4 (depending on the brand). I was roughly as thin as this girl in highschool and I ate a lot! Its actually really frustrating being that thin because people assume you have an eating disorder. I actually had people asking me if I had one. I think its not fair to assume that she's unhealthy based on one image.

Being that thin can lead to a negative body image (the same as being overweight) and I've struggled to keep my weight at what people consider "normal" for a long time.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
I can't really get a good look at her face... but 6'2" is pretty tall. Size wise, when I see her my immediate thought is "Wow, she's way too thin" but I don't know anything about her eating habits. Some people were graced with the eternal thin gene, and at her height she probably doesn't have to do a whole lot of dieting to maintain her frame.

Do I fine her aesthetically pleasing to look at? No. I think women like Salma Hayek and Catherine Zeta Jones have great curves and that's what I find attractive in other women.
ETA: WHAT is she wearing??? S&M/French Maid yuckiness.

Totally agree. Although to be frank, the photographer caught her at a bad moment.

diamondbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I can't really see her face so I'm not sure if she's pretty but I don't find her body attractive at all. I generally prefer curvier women like Scarlett Johansson and Salma Hayek. Now they're gorgeous!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
thing2of2 said:
Oh good, another one of these threads where we all discuss a woman's body and how gross it is!

Brava!
Deb/AGBF
:read:

Yep. The topics around here become more banal by the day.

Berryluv

Rough_Rock
kenny said:

chemgirl said:
Its actually really frustrating being that thin because people assume you have an eating disorder. I actually had people asking me if I had one. I think its not fair to assume that she's unhealthy based on one image.

Being that thin can lead to a negative body image (the same as being overweight) and I've struggled to keep my weight at what people consider "normal" for a long time.

Hiya Kenny,
I think that some women do not work at being very thin. Some just are. The assumption that a thin woman is sick is unfair and just as hurtful as judging an overweight person and assuming they must lead unhealthy life styles and have bad dietary habits. That is a fallacy. There are many reasons for an individual’s weight.
I think that ANTM is not a show the average woman should try to relate to. I think society and women themselves put unrealistic restraints on the way women should appear. Corsets were around long before this girl was born.
I agree with Chemgirl. Trying to be what other people consider “normal” is difficult. Everyone has different opinions. It’s best just to be good to yourself and be comfortable with who you are.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It's a corset. Without it, I'm sure she looks "normal", meaning her proportions are a little better. She practices tightlacing, that much is obvious. Like this woman.

220px-Corset_16inch.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had no idea it was possible to get a waist that small with a corset! :-o

Kenny... didn't you start the other thread about the photoshopped model last year too? I seem to recall it got basically the same responses, from mostly the same people...did you think it would be much different?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think people brought up lots of good points.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I don't see anything wrong with talking about whether or not she's attractive. If the 'Hangout' section of PS is like the watercooler where we talk about pop culture, then what's wrong with stating your opinion on if you find her to be attractive. If I was with a group of friends IRL, we'd all have differing opinions and we'd all be entitled to them.

And to anyone who thinks judging her on this forum (a bunch of strangers on the internet) is unfair? She entered herself to be on a reality show competition..... to be judged...... as a model.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
The question was "Is the model pretty to you?" and responses rather quickly focused on her thin physique. Funny how people will focus on something that "jumps" out at them and make some presumptions, in this case, about the model's health rather than answering the question.

Like I said earlier, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travel Goddess said:
I don't see anything wrong with talking about whether or not she's attractive. If the 'Hangout' section of PS is like the watercooler where we talk about pop culture, then what's wrong with stating your opinion on if you find her to be attractive.

Travel Goddess, I think you have hit on a really salient point here, a point that has been an undercurrent in this discussion. You say that if it is a given that "Hangout" is an area to discuss pop culture, that you feel that discussions of the lowest common denominator should be acceptable there (discussions in which people all give their opinions on other people's looks, etcetera).

Was it ever discussed by Pricescope members or decreed by the administration that "Hangout" should resemble "pop culture"? Or has it fallen into a place where people ask questions that are not of particular interest to our community and do not help us to bond with one another? The question is rhetorical. I have been here and I know that no one ever decided that "Hangout" should be a place dedicated to , "pop culture". It was supposed to be a place dedicated to the Pricescope community. The website's adminisrators, Leonid and then Andrey, generously allowed our community to define what our community's needs were. What was to be discussed in "Hangout" was left somewhat open-ended as long as we did not engage in too much controversy! I think it is up to us, unless Andrey decides to assert his right to decide what will be discussed, to decide what caliber of discussions we want to hold.

I don't particularly enjoy it when the discussions become discussions that could be out of cheap weekly magazines bought on any newstand; I prefer the discussions that bind us together. Some discussions, even if they do not relate to diamonds or jewelry, are more personal and friendly than others. I prefer ones in which a member asks for advice about a breed of dog in which she is interested or asks for support about a family situation. Those threads are (for me) personal, related to the Pricescope community. Threads on a model I do not know are not meaningful to me.

Deb/AGBF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only open threads that interest me.
I accept the presence of those that don't.

Everyone will never be just like me so I respect diversity.
Yes I think respecting diversity extends to even these parts of our lives.

How many other threads are "not meaningful" or do not "bring us together".
Should we ban threads on reality TV, or ice cream flavors?
Only proper threads about National Geographic specials and tofu will be acceptable. :roll:

If you like a certain kind of thread, start one.
If you don't like a poster put him/her on ignore instead of pulling a Dr. Laura.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
I only open threads that interest me.
I accept the presence of those that don't.

Everyone will never be just like me so I respect diversity.
Yes I think respecting diversity extends to even these parts of our lives.

How many other threads are "not meaningful" or do not "bring us together".
Should we ban threads on reality TV, or ice cream flavors?
Only proper threads about National Geographic specials and tofu will be acceptable. :roll:

If you like a certain kind of thread, start one.
If you don't like a poster put him/her on ignore instead of pulling a Dr. Laura.

Hmmm. I think I gave my opinion on what I like. I have never seen or heard, "Dr Laura" although I know there is a thread about her in Hangout now. Still, "pulling a Dr. Laura" sounds pejorative. Are you "taking this personal" as they say in, "The Godfather", Kenny? It wasn't meant to be. What I said about my preferences wasn't directed at you...or even at Dancing Fire, the master of innovative threads. It's just an explanation of my views. If every time someone like me ventures an opinion on how things are drifting in Pricescope s/he is met with a slap down, maybe people will be afraid to say anything at all. All I wanted to do was to open a discussion. I have no power to censor you. Luckily, I am not a new, shy poster. If I had been and I had received this kind of response to a my thoughtful posting I probably would have gone away and never come back.

Deb

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going all Dr. Laura is thinking you are working to get the world to "do the right thing", while failing to realize that it is actually YOUR thing you are trying to enforce onto others.

This is not personal to me either.
After all it's all just ideas flying around the Internet.

I like diversity here.
I would not like everyone to act and post in one way.
Yawn-O-Rama!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Going all Dr. Laura is thinking you are working to get the world to "do the right thing", while failing to realize that it is actually YOUR thing you are trying to enforce onto others.

I have no power, Kenny. I am not the government. Why do you fear discussion?

Deb

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
kenny said:

This is not personal to me either.
After all it's all just ideas flying around the Internet.

I have no power, Kenny. I am not the government. Why do you fear discussion?

Deb

Huh????????
What in the world are you talking about?
Keep in mind I only speak English.

No fear.
Discuss on.
You are the one saying only certain kinds of threads should be on PS.
Why do you fear discussion?

Actually I have to go to out now.
More later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results