shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this feasible? (Blue sapphire question)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I would hope that perhaps someone who has bought from Africagems could say whether their photos are in any way representational of the gem since I find the photos to be pretty false looking.

If you are keen on this email or call as pregcurious says.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
TL, can you speak to the photos? I think you recommended africagems to me in the first place...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1327977878|3115286 said:
So, africagems.com is having a 20% off sale for valentine's day. That makes it very tempting to go with something from them, even if it doesn't meet all of my needs.

What would you say is the best of these stones? 20% off price listed in brackets.

http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-blue-ja326.html ($7192)

http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2000-2786.html ($4789)

http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2000-1985.html ($3999)

http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2000-1096.html ($3425)

http://www.africagems.com/sapph-blue-g2k-3747.html ($3068)

Yes, I know you can't tell enough from stock photos, but if you could point me to which one or two have the best saturation and color (that you can tell), I can then ask them for more photos of those specific stones.

Anything really jump out at you as a good deal with the 20% off?

The first one is too grey, the second is too sleepy and appears to have lots of zoning going on, the third is a little too dark for me and again, uneven color (and why isn't the depth listed?). I like the fourth and fifth ones. The fourth one has a nice tone to it, and it won't darken in a setting, but I really think that the fifth has the best color, the most even color, out of the bunch, and just the right amout of silk (which helps give it a glow and lessen extinction). I see it looks darker on the AGL memo, but I think the memo is overexposed as the color on the background card is not as dark blue in person. Too bad the fifth one is the smallest. I would ask about the color shift and loss of saturation in various lighting.

Out of the bunch, I like the fifth one the best. I think with the 20% off, they are still fair retail prices. Nothing is a spectacular deal, but it's hard to find good deals on fine unheated sapphires these days due to the high demand.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, we agree! do you really think its an acquired taste or just being contrary? :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1327982144|3115345 said:
OMG, we agree! do you really think its an acquired taste or just being contrary? :lol:

Well, it's not the trade preference, and the price point shows that. The trade prefers medium to medium dark toned sapphires with vivid blue or violetish blue saturation. I prefer medium light toned sapphires, and I don't think the OP is after that, otherwise, I'd point out a few. Right now, believe it or not, my jeweler told me black sapphires are all the rage because of the Diana/Kate ring. Evidently everyone thinks that stone is nearly black. :lol:

If I had a billion dollars however, I would probably get this 62 carat Burmese beauty in an art deco Raymond Yard mount.

rockefeller_burmese_blue_sapphire.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Excuse me... :shock: *kerlunk* :shock: ...thank you.

I also like both the previous ones :bigsmile:

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts. I sent my gf a photo of the light colored one to see her reaction. If it is positive, maybe that will open up a new avenue for me.

Of the five that I posted earlier, her favorite color was #3, so I somehow doubt she will be into the very light color, but we shall see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1328013037|3115474 said:
Thoughts? http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10826/15240 Too dark when it gets put in a setting?

I don't think this one is going to darken up but there could be a cut issue (looks windowed) and the saturation is lacking.

From your GF's initial pick of #3, I'd go for something a smidge lighter so that when it is set, it'll end up that depth of tone. I like sapphire #5 the best, good even colour, just the right shade of blue that isn't too dark or too light and the saturation is great.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Good point. It is so hard, at least for me without being able to compare the stones side by side, to be able to identify what is one shade lighter than the shade she liked so that, as you said, it darkens into the proper color when placed in a setting. The search continues!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
The "too grey" comment has been given a lot, but I have a hard time seeing what you mean. Could you elaborate or point out what you look at that reveals to you that it is too grey? Or are you just talking about the general color, and is that something that one just gets a feel for?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a sense, it takes time to develop the eye to differentiate the nuances of colour. It is much easier to see the difference in saturation once you've seen many stones and/or have a side by side comparison of 2 stones. If you check out the link below under Saturation, there are example pictures of what is gray and what is saturated.
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That is a very helpful link to explain what people mean when they say "too grey."

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
empress|1327439202|3110708 said:
Gemfix has a 2.24c VVS Sri Lanka stone that measures 7.7x6.2mm.

I just saw this and realized I hadn't looked to see what you meant. Do you mean this one?

Sapphire "Portuguese" Mixed Cut Cushion
Weight: 2.24 cts
Measurements: 7.7x6.2 mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2950.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_956
Description: Gorgeous intense blue Ceylon Sapphire. Sparkly and clean. AGL certified untreated. (American Cutting)

What do you think of this one? Do I detect some color zoning? I e-mailed Andrew but he hasn't gotten back to me (I think my emails might go to his spam folder)...

sapphire_blue_956.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best to ask him about any possible zoning and colour shifts. It seems to me that his stones photograph a shade more saturated than it is IRL.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Will do, I'll put in a call if he doesn't respond to my email this afternoon.

On another note- thoughts? The $8890 asking price seems steep, but it is a Kashmir...

Edit: due to resizing, you can't see squat in that attached photo, sorry: http://www.preciousgemstones.com/127Kashfs.html

Size: 1.27
Cert: AGL - April 15, 2011
Shape and Country of Origin: Oval Kashmir Sapphire
MM: 6.18 x 5.14 x 4.61
Color/Tone: 3.5/75
Color Rating/Tone: 3-4/70-75
Color Scan: Blue 70, Violet 20, Green 10
Clarity: LI2
Proportions: Good (5)
Depth: 89.7%
Average Brilliancy: 90-100%
Finish: Good (6)
TQIR: Very Good (2.5)
Enhancement: None
Clarity Enhancement: None
Price: US $7,000 per carat or $8,890. Shipping and handling in the United States and $265 AGL Prestige Gem Report included.

127kashaglcert.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1328029280|3115610 said:
Will do, I'll put in a call if he doesn't respond to my email this afternoon.

On another note- thoughts? The $8700 asking price seems steep, but it is a Kashmir...

Edit: due to resizing, you can't see squat in that attached photo, sorry: http://www.preciousgemstones.com/127Kashfs.html

Size: 1.27
Cert: AGL - April 15, 2011
Shape and Country of Origin: Oval Kashmir Sapphire
MM: 6.18 x 5.14 x 4.61
Color/Tone: 3.5/75
Color Rating/Tone: 3-4/70-75
Color Scan: Blue 70, Violet 20, Green 10
Clarity: LI2
Proportions: Good (5)
Depth: 89.7%
Average Brilliancy: 90-100%
Finish: Good (6)
TQIR: Very Good (2.5)
Enhancement: None
Clarity Enhancement: None
Price: US $7,000 per carat or $8,890. Shipping and handling in the United States and $265 AGL Prestige Gem Report included.

I think you're paying more for the origin than the quality on that one, and AGL says it has some green in it, which would be a desaturating color in sapphire. Is there a larger photo of the stone? $8700 on a 1.2 carat stone that isn't even that saturated??? :???:

The blue background on the small photo of the stone on the website is disconcerting as well.

ETA: Look at stones from Madagascar, because if that stone were from there, it would be around $2 to $3K.

Here's a larger image of the AGL report photo. Really love the fifth cushion you picked out from Africagems, and I would ask more about it.

AGL_kashmir_sapphire.jpg

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
TL|1328029455|3115611 said:
I think you're paying more for the origin than the quality on that one, and AGL says it has some green in it, which would be a desaturating color in sapphire. Is there a larger photo of the stone? $8700 on a 1.2 carat stone that isn't even that saturated??? :???:

Thats what I thought too, but I came across it and figured I should post it for people to comment on anyways. The more important (read: realistic) question was about the stone from Gemfix.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1328029557|3115612 said:
TL|1328029455|3115611 said:

Thats what I thought too, but I came across it and figured I should post it for people to comment on anyways. The more important (read: realistic) question was about the stone from Gemfix.

I like the color on the two Africagems cushions (the one I picked out, and the fifth one you picked) better than the Gemfix, but the Gemfix has nice cutting going for it, and it's above two carats. If you can't get a hold of Andrew, then call him.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
The one from Gemfix sounds promising from the description. In my experience Gemfix's photos are very inconsistent and not necessarily true to life, but the stones described as intense in color tend to be the more saturated ones.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
ddgdl|1328012463|3115470 said:
Thank you for your thoughts. I sent my gf a photo of the light colored one to see her reaction. If it is positive, maybe that will open up a new avenue for me.

Of the five that I posted earlier, her favorite color was #3, so I somehow doubt she will be into the very light color, but we shall see.

Naturally, even though it goes totally against what she has liked before, her response to the light colored one (http://www.africagems.com/sapph-blue-g2k-3700.html) was: "Oooh, actually that is sort of cool..." That sound you hear is my palm hitting my forehead! :lol:

Of course, neither she nor I have seen one in person, so I'm not sure I can fully trust that she will like that color, but perhaps I can expand my color range onto the lighter-side of the spectrum? The one in the photo is far too large, sadly.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Also, a side question:

I'm going to NYC this weekend. Are there any shops I should try to stop in at who are known for their sapphires?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
If your girlfriend liked that lighter blue from Africagems I would strongly suggest you get that to view, It has three votes from Mozo, TL and myself and you and your GF may get a surprise about seeing the actual size on her hand. The lighter coloured sapphires can be truly stunning and rarely seen because people always go for the deep blue (that often blacks out in dim lighting) - I still covet a lighter one that stopped me in my tracks 20 years ago!

Quite frankly, and this isn't meant to offend in any way, but you're all over the shop with this. The shape and cut has changed so often you might as well try something good in hand. Africagems has a good return policy and from all accounts Marc is very helpful - open a dialogue.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1328046386|3115820 said:
ddgdl|1328012463|3115470 said:

Naturally, even though it goes totally against what she has liked before, her response to the light colored one (http://www.africagems.com/sapph-blue-g2k-3700.html) was: "Oooh, actually that is sort of cool..." That sound you hear is my palm hitting my forehead! :lol:

Of course, neither she nor I have seen one in person, so I'm not sure I can fully trust that she will like that color, but perhaps I can expand my color range onto the lighter-side of the spectrum? The one in the photo is far too large, sadly.

Did you look at the dimensions? Sapphires are very dense and look smaller than other stones for their carat weight, and cushions also face up smaller, so it might be a nice size. BTW, I never had that problem with gemstones being too large. 8-)

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I meant it was too large based on the dimensions, which are 9x8. I was sneaky and had my gf make "hand turkeys" awhile ago (ostensibly to show her how bad my drawing is), but saved her left-hand one, so I could roughly approximate how large certain stones would look on her hand. Yes, I know it is horribly unscientific, but a 9x8 covers almost the entire width of her size 4.75 finger- a look she most definitely does not like.

Starzin- I know it looks like my search is "all over the place," and it definitely feels that way. It is tough for me too, because she likes such a wide range of colors and stones, but then has such specific requirements such as the shape and size of the stone.

I've been in touch with Marc from africagems, and he is going to send me the following two stones to compare when he gets back from the Tucson show late next week: http://www.africagems.com/sapph-blue-g2k-3747.html and http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2000-1096.html

I'm still holding out hope, just in case these two stones don't work out, that Gene or Jeff come back from Tucson with something cool, or that Ed gets something in stock that fits the bill.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ddgdl|1328057360|3115985 said:
Yeah, I meant it was too large based on the dimensions, which are 9x8. I was sneaky and had my gf make "hand turkeys" awhile ago (ostensibly to show her how bad my drawing is), but saved her left-hand one, so I could roughly approximate how large certain stones would look on her hand. Yes, I know it is horribly unscientific, but a 9x8 covers almost the entire width of her size 4.75 finger- a look she most definitely does not like.

Starzin- I know it looks like my search is "all over the place," and it definitely feels that way. It is tough for me too, because she likes such a wide range of colors and stones, but then has such specific requirements such as the shape and size of the stone.

I've been in touch with Marc from africagems, and he is going to send me the following two stones to compare when he gets back from the Tucson show late next week: http://www.africagems.com/sapph-blue-g2k-3747.html and http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2000-1096.html

I'm still holding out hope, just in case these two stones don't work out, that Gene or Jeff come back from Tucson with something cool, or that Ed gets something in stock that fits the bill.

Well good luck, I hope you find something nice in color and appropriate in size. :)) If someone could come back with a 100 carat honker for me from Tuscon, that would be much appreciated. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results