shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond a good value???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
OK...I might have found a diamond. It will be a replacement for a stolen e-ring, that was 1.44 i si1, 2a cut grade.

Can I get everyone''s opionion on what they think as far as value for quality?????

2.52 RB cut egl certed
f SI2 (vendor advises is eyeclean)
table: 56.00
depth: 62.7
crown%: 14
pavilion%: 44
flour:ft blue (I love flourescense!)
polish:very good
symettry:very good
culet:none
girdle:medium
HCA score: 2.7 Very good
price: 14,100

This seems very inexpensive to me as compared to others I have looked at....any insight would be helpful...thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you are looking to get the most carat weight for the least amount, this fits the bill. because of the depth, the stone doesn''t have the diameter of a typical 2.5ct. stone.
also, if you want visibly detectable fluorescence, you''ll have to find at lest med. blue. faint fluor. can''t be seen.
2.gif

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks belle! I appreciate any insight as I am new to the specifics of how to find a good one...

Of course, I would not want extra weight at the expense of diameter...that would just be silly :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are your priorities (and your budget)?

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Priorities are size, cut, color, clarity, in that order

Budget is 16k max for diamond alone....

I owuld really like something in the 2.3-2.5 or so range, so I won''t be able to afford an AGSO or H&A diamond, but something with a veru good HCA score will be fine with me. I really like flourescense, and think I can go with an H or G if there is ft or med blue Flour inthe diamond as I really like a whiter diamond. I am VERY lenient on clarity. I have seen I1 diamonds in the B&M store that I thought were gorgeous, and you could not tell when it was face up that there was an inclusion. My hubby feels safer with an si2 at worst, though b/c he is worried about strength issues. Gotta make Hubby happy too :)

set2374

Rough_Rock
The price sounds good. Rap is around $23,000, so you''re way under. The stone''s proportions are a little on the deep side (not terrible though). It sounds good to me????

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
That is what scares me....seems like almost too good of a deal!

I spoke to the vendor they said that is egl certed and is prob 1 color grade off b/c of that. I wonder if I ask them why it is so inexpensive compared to others, what they would say?

I might just get it and take it to an appriaser...if it is not what was certed, or advertised, I can return w/i 30 days.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Jewelgirl,

For fun, I checked, too. Though unable to find an option:

a) using the search by cut database, or
b) narrowing to AGS0, or
c) on Price Stats db, selecting for AGA1A

d) selecting for AGA 1b, there is this alternative from DCD...

it may be no better than the one you''ve found, for which you at least have crown & pavilion percentages. You might check with Jim and see if he can get you more info on this one without doing anything else; it could save you a few dollars, and it could prove out to be better cut...can''t be sure until reviewed further.

Uhhhh....second thought....dollars to donuts it is the very same diamond. Not sure who your existing vendor is, but if it is, and Jim at DCD can probably check, it would just give you an option of one more vendor, where you can save a little, have less of a grace period, and compare other bases upon which one vendor would have an advantage over the other. Pretty well, though, I think you may have optimized.

Best,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a nice cut 2.52ct should have a diameter close to 8.80-8.85 mm. $14k sounds too cheap for a correctly graded F SI2 stone of this size.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just something else to consider... sometimes when a diamond is just over a benchmark size (like 2.5 carats) it can be because the cutter kept a little (hidden) weight in the stone. Generally, the more carat weight he retains, the more money he makes. So in these instances you can be paying for diamond weight that you can't see at best, or a sacrifice of cut and quality at worst. Have you looked around at stones just shy of 2.5 carat, or do you have your heart set on that size?

Lynn

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the input!!!! Let me tell you it is much needed :)

Lynn B--i have looked around from sizes 2.2 to diamonds just shy of the 2.5 cut at 2.49. I have not found anything in the same cut/color/clarity for the price, other than iraz''s suggestion (see below). It seems this one is a good deal for the hca score and the 4 c''s. I did just look for an agso diamond in the cut search and found a J si2 2.225 agso for 14,100. this is the link http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5949904#. and NO FLOURO
7.gif
I was leary abt going so low in color until I saw your diamond pics...my god it is a STUNNER! Those pics might just change my mind abt color, especially next to your G stone. Literally no face up difference...Lynn what do U think of the link...Do you think that something like this would face-up whiter due to the agso cut?

Ira Z-I think you found the same diamond on a different vendor site! My vendor is not a PS vendor, but my understanding is that they have access to all PS search stones...so there you are. What a detective you are...and for cheaper too!

My vendor is calling in a few minutes, they got the 2.52 in and their gemologist is looking at it...I will get an official up or down and post for you all to know whether I found the deal of a lifetime...or a dog!

In the mean time, any other suggestions as far as PS vendor searches and any likely candidates for my new diamond, would be appreciated!

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
OK..... this diamond has been branded...A DOG!

Thr vendor said it was described to them as eye clean...but when it arrived they looked at it and it most definately has a large black inclusion in the middle of the table that is very visible. Her gemologist even told her to tell me NOT to buy the diamond...at least they are honest :)

So the search goes on...anyone have some suggestions for 2.20 and up range price cap is 16-17k?????

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Jewelgirl,

Looks like you''re working with a good vendor.

Also, if you''re the least open to considering a J, from the search by cut tool, I see too that''s the one option to see.

Many here report being happy with them (J''s); it may well be worth a look, though it would be nice if you could work out some sort of comparison to it. For example, though it''s only one color away, and not an ACA, you could see if asking them to bring in this one to make some comparison for you (or you may want to do the comparison with the help of an independent appraiser...particularly since you''ve mentioned the color sensitivity) would help to provide some perspective for you. This other one is reportedly AGS0, a hair bigger, but also a bit pricier...yet still in your range. Because it''s from the same vendor (see the notes under my signature) making the comparison may be made somewhat easier.

Just a couple of additional thoughts; best of wishes.

Regards,

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ira Z for the second option....

The one you mentioned does look yummy...wish I could look at the ags rept. I will call them and see if they can pull both for inspection.

I am color sensitive (or so I thought), but after hearing so many people rave about their J colored perfectly cut larger diamonds, I feel compelled to investigate the notion
21.gif
It may just be that I am not as color sensitive than I thought...

One thing is for sure...My husband is price sensitive! So I better stay within reasonable limits for him. I could get into some serious financial trouble if I was left to my own devices. Has anyone ever heard of a someone going homeless because they NEEDED expensive jewelery?

I am not really in a huge hurry to get a replacement ring, I would rather get the "right" one....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
best of luck in your search jewelgirl! i hope you find something you love
2.gif

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Yes...I saw that one...It looks nifty. I am going to call whitflash abt it today

I am also looking at 2.32 agso j si2 with med flouro for 14363 today I am having it pulled now...we will see...

BTW...thanks for all ya''lls help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results