shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this cut likely to be AGA ''0''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,

I looked at a diamond today. It is going in the ring I posted in the topic ''ring design'' a few days ago.

I am one of those who used to think that ''good'' or ''very good'' was the only cut consideration you needed to make, and clarity or colour were the most important factors, which seems to go against the grain here. I am converted toward cut and need to know more.

I am not a gemologist. My work is behind the bench making rings and setting diamonds.

Hope you can help
1.gif

Here I go:

The cert is DCLA I am confident with my vendors praises about this certification, because he is well recommended in Melbourne. DCLA is a 2y/old? lab in Sydney and they are known to be very strict.

0.73pt
F
VVS2 I am very happy with the 2 inclusions, they would be .5 od a mm in total and they are clear
Measurements: As yet, I know nothing about this
5.77 - 5.79 x 3.58mm
Roundness - 0.3% VG
Total Depth - 61.9% all the rest are VG
Table Size - 56.9%
Crown Angle - 34.9%
Crown Height - 15.1%
Girdle thick - 3.3%
Pavvillion Angle - 41.0
pavillion Depth -43.1%
Cutlet -0.9%
Very Small: not sure what that refers to, maybe cutlet...
Proportion Grade - VERY GOOD: apparently this is about the best grading DCLA gives

No flourescence and no remarks.

I checked this stone under the harts and arrows scope. It failed but it looked alright. The point is slightly off??

As a setter it was nearly a perfect cut. As far as sparkle goes, it looked good but not world-beating. Off hand the cut was very nice and I had his assurances about that, he should know. I really liked the purity of the material, as is my bent, and I thought the cut will perform well in better light. The colour is ''f'', so it should be good, but I could definately see the green tinge.

I have noticed that colour is the classification that labs are most often inconsistent on. White brings more colours = brilliance. Perhaps the 4c''s go about in trends like most other things.

PS
29.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Garry,

It must be AGS. That part was in conversation. I will check it out. I doubt if I will find him wrong.

Thanks for the info Garry

PS

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Philip
DCLA is a pretty good lab, We have been using them for a while and find them pretty consistent.
Your stone looks fine with a HCA of 2.3. (see Diamcalc image) Currently its within AGS 0 range, Based on some current speculation it should make it in the new AGS system as well
The Diamcalc image assumes lower girdles of 82% and stars of 46%
Johan

Philip.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results