shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an etch channel?

catia

Shiny_Rock
Curious mind wants to know.
Might serve as a visual example of this type of flaw/inclusion if it is!

Not a gemologist & ain't tryin to play one on TV.
Will however seek education on PS forum!

Is this pic an example of an "etch channel"?
Facts:
These lines are exterior & can be felt. If you try really hard, they can be viewed with the naked eye.
Shape of lines is an upsidedown J with a backwards R type of "squiggly" lines.
Squiggley is a technical term right?

Under 10x loupe, it looks most similar to laser drill lines-when viewing from above.
Under 10x loupe there appear to be no tunnels of any sort, nor any lines/feathers extending within the diamond's internal body from these exterior lines (albeit diamond is being viewed in setting, not loose)

Apx specs & info:
OEC or old mine brilliant, small, apx .40 max, low color, below M (top light brown) & plenty of "junk in the trunk" inclusion wise internally, & some 'flea bites" on the girdle, so I seriously doubt it is a laser drill line, because it would not be worth it $$ wise with so many other things going on with the stone to laser drill. It also doesn't appear to be a chip.

Uncerted, pawnshop purchase. Fell in love with the ring, warts & all, and am just seeking to learn.

I suppose it could also be a scratch, or chip, but the shape of the lines seems inconsistent with pics I have viewed of diamond scratches & chips so far, but a scratch could be any shape as well.

Amazingly, whatever this flaw is does not affect visual performance/brilliance/fire. The stones scream with fire & are pretty bright-can be easily seen from across the room!

Note: While I love diamonds, I'm the rare bird that prefers "low colors" or "off" colors, choose fire over brilliance & I have a fascination with inclusions, not just in diamonds.
I have some stones I've found, kept, or purchased, because I LOVED the inclusions. flaw-enlarged-circled-2.jpg flaw.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results