shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an actual green diamond? Please Help

CaseTy92

Rough_Rock
Hi so I have this stone that I obtained from a yard sale and I was wondering if it might be an actual green diamond can somebody possibly tell me if it might be and if it may have any value thanks. 20210704_081122_HDR.jpg 20210704_081017.jpg 20210704_080930.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
No. Many minerals grow in octahedral crystals. That looks like fluorite.

In general, if you find something at a yard sale that you think might be an object worth a zillion dollars worthy of being in a museum, it probably isn’t.

It’s very pretty, though! Enjoy it!

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a fluorite to me as well. It's almost exactly the same shape and colour as one I have, which was a freebie from an event. I actually thought mine was glass for ages, but have been told by crystal collectors that it's a (I think they said) raw fluorite. It's a typical colour for the crystal and very pretty. Do look up fluorite and you should be able to find lots of info.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not a diamond

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Green daimonds tend to be very small (under 1 ct in general, with a very small handfull hitting the 1+ ct sizes. A 2 ct green daimond would be quite rare, probably worthy of auctioning for an obscene amount of money.). You can look at leibish to see a few items.

The stone in your picture is probably 30+ cts (hard to tell exact weight without knowing what mineral it is -- as different minerals have different densities. But this should be a ball park figure). It's a long way out of the range you'd be dealing with for a green daimond.

W

westofhere

Also common in pinks and purples—sometimes within the same larger polished specimen. Very pretty, and a fun one if you know any kids starting a collection.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Fluorite

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely fluorite.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it doesn't. And as a trade member, you should know better. Aquamarine does not form in this shape. It is fluorite, as stated by many posters above.
I wonder if any GemsNY customers will start questioning their aquamarine purchases, now. :twisted2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
90% of the trade have never studied or done even a basic gem course. So be kind. They are salespeople. How many cars have you bought happily from people who did not know if the motor was in the trunk or bonnet end!

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Plus it seems to happen quite often that new users register as "trade" accounts by mistake (though I'm not sure how!). Not saying this is the case with @Vishal Batwara, but I've noticed it many times and it can be quite confusing hehe.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
The poster in question is not just in the trade, he is the president of a jewelry company. If he has never studied gems in any capacity and no way to make an educated guess as to what a stone may be, then he should not be commenting. It is not unkind to point out that giving wrong information as a member of the trade is bad for all parties involved, and doubly so when such misinformation is memorialized on the internet.

W

westofhere

What pokerface said, and especially since he sells gems in the Beryl family; he should know their crystal habit. That doesn’t even require training, just the ability to Google.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results