shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a weird facet pattern for a cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Yesterday I looked at several loose cushions. I particularly liked this G SI1 stone, but I noticed on the GIA certificate that it had a different facet pattern than any other cushion I''ve seen; it seems to have a border of extra facets on the pavillion. I know all cushions are different, there are no definitive rules, there are many different types of cushion cuts, etc., but are there any red flags here?
Thanks!

-J

facetstwojs.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a whole menajerie of cushion types listed along this thread . You might want to take a look.

And there is a 3D model of exactly that type posted by Jonathan in his tutorial here
It takes a bit to download the model... but it''s worth seeing.

Not sure if the respective facet pattern sport any detraction in general, the stones can turn out quite brilliant and what not. However, the row of large pavilion facets under the girdle is there with the purpose to make the stone havy. The type of cut is more often used for colored diamonds...because it works to show off color as well. (you will find these comments in the thread cited above as well, only burried among a dozen or so posts).

If this stone looks nice under the Ideal Scope and has decent size for it''s weight, than the concern about the type pof facet patern remains academic, IMO. It doesn''t work to guess much the other way around - at least not as far as I know.
34.gif

Hope the 0.2 worth helps
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s what I was talking about... aproximatively.

CushionShapes.JPG

TwoJs

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ana! You are always so helpful!

The stone I saw had excellent size for its weight, with a depth of approx 60%. However, even though the stone was a G, it looked noticebly more yellow than other Gs I compared it to side-by-side. Could this be because this cut highlights color, as you mentioned?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 11:25:1 AM
Author: TwoJs
... even though the stone was a G, it looked noticebly more yellow than other Gs I compared it to side-by-side. Could this be because this cut highlights color, as you mentioned?
No idea... really. This cut is supposed to enhance color allright, but I couldn''t spot the tint ina G color for the life of me.
A couple of guesses come to mind, but to pin one down I would need to see these - and that''s something only you can do
39.gif

If the color grade is to blame, than that would show better culet up. Does it ?

It could be that the particular stone is effectively less brilliant (Ideal Scope anyone ?)

or it could be that this one reflects colors from around it more readily (my bet in this case).

Of course there are other differences as well - the pavilion cut shows face up pretty obviously: larger or smaller aparent facets, more or less contrast... even when overall brilliance is tops these cuts have different personalities - IMO.

This Q needs expert advice - and I am no expert
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results