shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a typical unheated sapphire? Never seen one like this before!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
A vendor on IG offered me this 1.8 ct unheated sapphire (click here for video):
IMG_9621.jpg

I was wondering, is this a typical unheated sapphire? I've never seen one like this before and I'm quite new to gems so I don't understand what is causing it to look this way, or if it's a good thing, would it be a good buy, etc. etc...

Sorry for the daft question... Hope someone can help me out. I would Google but I don't know how to describe what I'm seeing, let alone look it up properly. :confused:
Thanks in advance =)2

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t say typical. Many people consider this look undesirable, and many of people love it!

I a sapphire that is very similar!

30B3DDA0-0ADF-4014-8180-F17B931FE66C.jpeg BC15B232-578D-41E7-9E87-87131EBB62E1.jpeg

Search in Pricescope and Google for “opalescence” and variants, silky, milky, sleepy…all are terms to describe this. The “silk” is actually little inclusions that makes a gem glow more than sparkly.

This sapphire has a lot of orange, purple and pink like mine. It does have some carbon inclusions (little black specks) which might bother some people, but mine has them too.

I love my stone and think this one is very pretty! Depending on price I’d be tempted. I don’t know what this is priced for, but these sapphires should not be priced similarly to trade ideal colored sapphires. I absolutely wouldn’t pay more than $600ish for this stone esp if the vendor is based abroad - I’d consider that quite high personally and would aim for $300-$400

If this is overpriced check out https://instagram.com/horoscope.gems?utm_medium=copy_link

OR

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn’t say typical. Many people consider this look undesirable, and many of people love it!

I a sapphire that is very similar!

30B3DDA0-0ADF-4014-8180-F17B931FE66C.jpeg BC15B232-578D-41E7-9E87-87131EBB62E1.jpeg

Search in Pricescope and Google for “opalescence” and variants, silky, milky, sleepy…all are terms to describe this. The “silk” is actually little inclusions that makes a gem glow more than sparkly.

This sapphire has a lot of orange, purple and pink like mine. It does have some carbon inclusions (little black specks) which might bother some people, but mine has them too.

I love my stone and think this one is very pretty! Depending on price I’d be tempted. I don’t know what this is priced for, but these sapphires should not be priced similarly to trade ideal colored sapphires. I absolutely wouldn’t pay more than $600ish for this stone esp if the vendor is based abroad - I’d consider that quite high personally and would aim for $300-$400

If this is overpriced check out https://instagram.com/horoscope.gems?utm_medium=copy_link

OR

Wow, thank you so so much for sharing your beautiful sapphire! I actually asked a friend (a jeweller) and she thought the stone was reprehensible and "should be heated immediately". :lol: I actually kind of like it, it looks ethereal and I don't even mind the carbon inclusions. It's like an opal but... not an opal (a gem that I'm not particularly fond of).

Thank you so much for giving me the gem vocab for this too! Now I know what to read up on. :D

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feelings on this (I like some sleepy /milky stones) would hinge on that orangeish area. Is it a color zone or does it look like it runs along as like a deposit of something along a feather.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thank you so so much for sharing your beautiful sapphire! I actually asked a friend (a jeweller) and she thought the stone was reprehensible and "should be heated immediately". :lol: I actually kind of like it, it looks ethereal and I don't even mind the carbon inclusions. It's like an opal but... not an opal (a gem that I'm not particularly fond of).

Thank you so much for giving me the gem vocab for this too! Now I know what to read up on. :D

Yes many people would find this sapphire worthless - however I think they are magical! You should buy what you like and good news is a sapphire in a more ideal color for that weight would be many times the cost!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
My feelings on this (I like some sleepy /milky stones) would hinge on that orangeish area. Is it a color zone or does it look like it runs along as like a deposit of something along a feather.

Are either of those things bad?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Yes many people would find this sapphire worthless - however I think they are magical! You should buy what you like and good news is a sapphire in a more ideal color for that weight would be many times the cost!

This one was quoted at $450, 1.8 ct. After reading your reply I'm worried that might be a bit much?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I personally love opalescent and sleepy gems.
It's really pretty but I wouldn't pay more than 350 tops because of the visible carbon spot/needle and possible staining- especially under 2 cts.
I have a couple sleepy spinels that I love. This padlike colored one is my favorite.
* No question is daft, that's what this place is for. Ask away! :))

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I personally love opalescent and sleepy gems.
It's really pretty but I wouldn't pay more than 350 tops because of the visible carbon spot/needle and possible staining- especially under 2 cts.
I have a couple sleepy spinels that I love. This padlike colored one is my favorite.

Ugh I still lust after this pad colored one!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I like the stone but think 450 is a bit much for it

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I still lust after this pad colored one!

I know right?! It gets me.
Maaaaaybe, one day I'll get the scratch to set the damned thing :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results