shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a Storm-worthy Asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tripsy

Rough_Rock
I''m sure you''re getting tired of being asked this...but I''d appreciate Strmrdr''s and all other Asscher-lover''s opinions on this stone:

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/764.html

I''m checking into what the crown height is, I know that''s all-important.

This one has some of the widest-cut corners I''ve seen so has a really nice octagonal effect. It''s also a Superbcert special, so it has four pavilions rather that the usual three...which I''ve also read sometimes is a good thing but not always, depending on the cut.

I''ve also asked for other info and pics on the stone, I''ll post when I get them.

I''m looking for a stunning asscher for a right hand ring in about this size, cut must be top quality. I''ve almost broken down and gotten a RA for simplicity''s sake but I''d have to get a smaller stone then for the $$. And I know some say in the <2 ct range it may not be worth it.

I''ve been lurking here for a while doing lots of research but this is my first post. Thanks for your help.
37.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hair off square which isnt too noticable but some might see it.
I did in the picture.
A better picture or 3 would be very helpful but from what iv seen so far it looks good if the off square doesnt bug you.

Tripsy

Rough_Rock
Is the depth too much?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome tripsy!
35.gif

the key to finding a good asscher is getting something that is peaceful and tranquil when you look down into it. i don''t see that when i look into this stone. the facets are a bit off making the center look jumbled.
between the four pavilions and the small table, there is too much going on around the outside which is distracting.
so...this isn''t my favorite look
40.gif

however, this isn''t for me...it''s for you, so if you like it..there''s not much more to be said!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know a thing about asschers but that inclusion looks pretty visible. Would it be covered when you set the diamond?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 10:23:39 AM
Author: Tripsy
Is the depth too much?
its in the good range.

Some better pictures will help.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That picture doesn''t tell me anything. You need to get more pics of this stone. Ask them to send you some and then post them. But my hunch is that you can do better.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 10:54:18 AM
Author: portoar
I don''t know a thing about asschers but that inclusion looks pretty visible. Would it be covered when you set the diamond?

What are you seeing as inclusions?
on the enlarged 10x pisture there is 1 small crystal in the windmill and 1 small feather under the crown facet.
vs2 rated they arent going to be visible.

Tripsy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your ideas. I do think the facets are slightly off center when I study it. I guess that''s why you need to get a really symmetrically square stone.
I think the "inclusion" you see is a photo artifact.

Strmrdr, what''s the optimal depth? I think you''ve posted 60-65% before?

Gosh this is overwhelming and time consuming!
39.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 11:17:19 AM
Author: Tripsy
Thanks for your ideas. I do think the facets are slightly off center when I study it. I guess that''s why you need to get a really symmetrically square stone.

I think the ''inclusion'' you see is a photo artifact.

Strmrdr, what''s the optimal depth? I think you''ve posted 60-65% before?

Gosh this is overwhelming and time consuming!
39.gif

for one style of asschers that are very hard to find 60-65 is kicken.
The other style that the vast majority of asschers fall into its more like 65%-70% with some kicken ones going as far out as 75 but you lose a lot of size on them.
What makes it hard is say you find one 63% depth is it a good one of the first type or a too shallow one of the second.

There are better asschers out there but this one is better than the picture looks I think.
The off square would bug me.
But what is important is does it bug you?

If it was me Id give Tim at www.goodoldgold.com a call and set him to hunting down 2 or so to choose from then post the data for comments.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the new pictures. But I own an off-square Asscher. (Though my fiance laughs at me when I say that ''cause he can''t really see the "off-squareness") I can - a tiny bit - and had it set "long" side north/south, like an emerald. I believe it gives a slight elongating effect on my hand & makes the stone look a tish bigger (the eye judges length of a stone over width first - it''s a cheat)

Truly depends on what''s important for you. Off-squares can provide a better value & the price does seem to reflect that ... but if the effect would bug you a teeny tiny bit - don''t do it. (I happen to love it! ... stone alone, in the setting & on my hand)

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I''m talking about the feather -- it''s plotted on the GIA report and you can see it in the picture. But if Storm says it isn''t eye visible then it isn''t.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results