shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a small amount of leakage?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am confused... this rings specs qualify as super ideal but why is there a slight bit of whiteness under the table? would this be considered leakage? the brillianscope results are all high/Very high. I have checked out a bunch of other pictures of other stones that are H & A ideals but I am not finding others with similar specs that have what I am seeing here.

what would cause this if the diamond had great specs? curious...

mylightscopepic.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That amount of leakage is small.

I expect that about half of the light from above would be returned and 1/2 would be leakage in the worst area inside the table.

Red reflector ideal-scope type devces exaggerate leakage.
It would be a very very nice stone.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thanks Garry, i know you said it was a small amount but when you said 50% is leaking into the table that sounds like a lot doesn''t it? I wonder what is causing it... the pavilion maybe? the pavilion angle avg is 40.9, would a couple going up to 41 cause this kind of leakage? what would cause it?

I am so bummed out that the diamond has leakage there
7.gif

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock

CutNut, Are you suggesting the pink or white spots in an IS image are exaggerated? If that is the case, your IS sales pitch is misleading then. You just contradicted your own red,pink,white description.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Are there different color reflector IS devices? My IS is pink. But if the pink part were red, I can imagine how the whole stone would look red light that picture.

My jeweler had a Heart and Arrow viewer that made the stone look blue inside. Maybe he meant that the viewers with dark red reflectors exaggerate, not the pink ones.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2005 8:11:24 PM
Author: codex57
Are there different color reflector IS devices? My IS is pink. But if the pink part were red, I can imagine how the whole stone would look red light that picture.

My jeweler had a Heart and Arrow viewer that made the stone look blue inside. Maybe he meant that the viewers with dark red reflectors exaggerate, not the pink ones.

Codex...You're on the right track.

There are several devices which use red reflectors to show leakage (a rose by any other name). However, we have found that the IdealScope with its lighter tube results in a more balanced reflection of color which, combined with proper backlight, provides a richer image.

The color in a H&A viewer is not as important as the ability for light to enter from the top of the tube, coupled with the focal length and sophistication of the magnifying lens. However, we have found that a dark color (we use purple) combined with a strong measure of light from above improves contrast and reveals much more about facet interaction.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
i think he was just saying that the red colored lightscopes tend to exaggerate leakage more than the pink ones right?

I hope he pops back in to tell me why he thinks that leakage exists here for a stone with super ideal specs.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2005 8
6.gif
7:59 PM
Author: kevinraja

CutNut, Are you suggesting the pink or white spots in an IS image are exaggerated? If that is the case, your IS sales pitch is misleading then. You just contradicted your own red,pink,white description.
There was a long discussion about what is the visual impact of these leakage marks a bit back (charts included). Without the background, I guess your remark rings true. Down this link is the grain of salt I was reffering to
34.gif

Oddly enought, it seems to be way harder to explain why not only all-red IS images are acceptable. Usually, any questions come up about this (like tis thread).
4.gif
It would have been great if IS (or another discrimination tool) could be straight qualitative but as is, there is still room for quantitative interpretation (= how much "red" is red enough and such). This, before any question about calibration kicks in
40.gif

I guess the Gilbertonscope goes one step forth to clarify where light reflected goes and how much of it. Not sure if a couple more colors help allpt though. The same set of issues aplyies for each, I suppose, and it becomes harder to draw a general conclusion of those images...

At least IMO, as usual.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi Valeria,

thanks for the response - that link didn''t work for some reason. would you mind posting that again?

thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is it

There are a few more refferences on the thread, but I guess the point is quite clear as is.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi TL1
I am no expert, but I would guess that leakage can exist for a stone with "super ideal" specs due to a particular combination of parameters. Just because every parameter is in the "super ideal" range does NOT guarantee that they will all combine perfectly. Also no stone has perfect symmetry and it is possible that although the average measurements are "super ideal" (and single figures are only averages), individual measurements may actually fall out of the range.

This is only my understanding and perhaps one of the experts can comment.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Ana - you are a great resource - that is eacxtly the best thread.

I have discussed this issue on the ideals-cope site - it is no secret - no contradiction :)

The are of leakage tL1 is very very small and it is partial not complete.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Do you think the vendor gave this a little more leeway because it is an hard to come by odd size 1.39? Just curious because I wasn''t finding any other ideals in their inventory with this same issue. Not to say it doesn''t happen, but they do seem to have very high standards for their ideal cuts.

I am probably being unnecessarily tough on this diamond right now, from what you are saying the leakage is minimal and I shouldn''t be concerned... it''s just that when you are scrutinizing numbers and buying ideal H & A, you don''t want to see any issue with leakage, minimal or not. Especially when paying ideal prices.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would characterize that as a minor amount of leakage which would have a negligible effect on the visual presentation of the stone.

The diamond looks to be a stunning stone from the IS image.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOG's lightscope images shows more "leakage" than typical ideal scope images of the same diamond.
Im betting that an IS image would show the white areas as a healthy pink.
It has been discussed as to why he doesnt just use the the IS and mainly his reason is that he feels he gets better resolution and a more representative image with his lightscope.
If that was an ideal-scope image id say run but it isnt.

You can ask him for an ideal scope image on it. He has one and can take the images.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thanks storm - I actually now own the diamond. I am just a perfectionist I guess so that kind of bothered me so the more I learn the more I scrutinize. I do have an idealscope and it seems to show totally dark pink under the ideal scope - but I still feel like I don''t really know what I am doing when I am using the idealscope. i never feel like i get the lighting right, i should have bought the light that garry offers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 11:47:17 AM
Author: TL1
thanks storm - I actually now own the diamond. I am just a perfectionist I guess so that kind of bothered me so the more I learn the more I scrutinize. I do have an idealscope and it seems to show totally dark pink under the ideal scope - but I still feel like I don''t really know what I am doing when I am using the idealscope. i never feel like i get the lighting right, i should have bought the light that garry offers.
Ah ok in that case trust your eyes.
View it in a million light conditions and im betting it will blow you away in em all.
Just stay away from yellowed kitchen stove lights they will make you paranoid!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to disagree a bit with Strmrdr: The Idealscope comes in a box with sample immages printed on it.

The Image presented above closely matches the "Ideal (minimum leakage) picture - which does show those exact areas of leakage.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results