shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a nice Peridot? Recommendation pls:)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi sorry guys! should have read up before asking:)

Brilliance - will be a combination of Cut, Sparkle, light return, Proportion and Crystal.
Graded on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another peridot from ebay Shahgemsshahgems

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
How are you planning on using the stone? Is it just to lay about loose, or is this for a ring, a pendant, or...? Because the stone sizes are wildly different. And though it may not seem like a few millimeters is really all that big, once you put it on your hand just 1 mm can make a big difference in the overall appearance. What size stone are you really interested in? How big is too big? If you''re not entirely sure you may want to print off this chart (make sure you have the printer print it to actual size rather than enlarging or reducing to fit the paper size).

Ok, I think the AJS stone has a pretty color, though it does have some olive tones to it. From the picture it appears as though there may be some extinction but wait for an expert to agree rather than taking my word for it.

The shahgems stone is a very vivid color, for sure. The left and right edges, however, seem to go from that bright green to more of an olive shade, and doesn''t seem as well cut. But if you want a jumbo-sized stone, then perhaps it''s a possiibility.

And as always, check the reputation of the vendor here on the board and elsewhere. I haven''t heard of shahgems, but it doesn''t mean they''re not reputable, but you should check them out.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi AustenNut, my initial thought was to set it as a halo ring. I can see shahgems here PS vendors. I have narrow down to 2. Its precision gem 1.88 carat (pakistan)and artcutgem 1.43 (china). Which will you choose? same price $144, almost same size 8X8mm. Is peridot from Pakistan of a higher grade?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d rather Gene’s peridot than AJS because the AJS peridot shows a strong yellow and olive undertone. As for Shahgems, is it just me or does the stone seem off round?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
o ya! the ''off round'' issue again:)

I am kinda confuse too, as shahgems stated oval in the description. But it looks round to me maybe a little ''off''.

Anyway, he did not reply to my email requesting for a clarification. Guess I will just pass that piece.

I am leaning towards Gene''s peridot too. But as you know I am after a cushion more than round and not to mention concave! But I agree with you that Artcut seems more yellowish. Hmmm...dilemma

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then how about asking Gene if he has any more material like that peridot that he can cut into a concave cushion?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea, Chrono!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Gene''s peridot best, so if you''re wanting a different shape, I thritto Chrono to ask if he has some he can cut for you.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I"m late to the thread, been out of town, but I really really like your choice at ACS as I bought one myself but a round... it looks like from the same cutter, so here is an example of mine.

maybe it might help you decide, it looks really cool, and my favorite piece soo far
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/concave-peridot-bezel-pendant.120697/

peridotpendantbezeldt0709%20015.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m late to the thread, as well, but Jeff White has some amazing Pakistani rough. He has a piece that will cut a huge 9-10mm Asscher, but it''s a pricey piece.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all!! Great mind thinks alike:)

I had already requested Gene to cut a concave for me! Now is to decide on a shape! The concave reference is pretty! Pear & cushion, which will you choose? I intend to st it in a 18k white gold bezel:)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2009 8:05:03 PM
Author: chictomato
Hi all!! Great mind thinks alike:)

I had already requested Gene to cut a concave for me! Now is to decide on a shape! The concave reference is pretty! Pear & cushion, which will you choose? I intend to st it in a 18k white gold bezel:)
I haven''t seen a pear concave- I bet it would look pretty cool though

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose a square cushion. But if you make it a pendant I think the pear could work too. I''m sure it will be lovely.
9.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi D&T / stone hunter

Gene has replied he thinks that concave will work better on cushion than pear. Yes its gonna be set as a ring, my finger is small and slim, not too short, size 8. Do you think I should go for a more rectangular shape, maybe there is some ''lengthening'' effect on my finger:)

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Glad everything is working out for you. I prefer rectangular cushions myself as it does help to give the illusion of longer, thinner fingers. Thankfully though they''re not so short and pudgy that I can''t wear rounds or squares.
2.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
5.gif
me too! It should be ready in about a week. Do you know of anyone who can recut native cut gem at a good price?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, after considering the kind of ring setting I am after. I have decided on a concave cushion:) Gene has quoted about $100/carat. My 8x8mm cushion will will probably cost around $200. Whereas artcut ready stock 1.43 carat concave cushion cost only $144 (but it does seem yellowish to me). Any advice??
28.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
There was a thread a little while back about a 2ct sapphire that ended up getting recut by Dana at Master Cut Gems for a reasonable price. I think it was about $100 or so. That being said though, if you can get the color, cut, and shape that you want and it''s only $50 more, I''d go for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2009 8:45:42 PM
Author: D&T
I haven''t seen a pear concave- I bet it would look pretty cool though
By request, here''s one which is mine.

pearaquaconcave.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree AustenNut! Do you think there''s a possibility for a 8X8mm cushion to exceed 2 carat? Thanks Chrono for the nice reference! Basically I like ALL concave:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for a sapphire, no. Generally, a 7x7 mm cushion is about 2 ct.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono I am actually refering to Peridot:) will a 8X8mm concave cushion exceed 2 carat?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the cutting, yes, a 2 ct square cushion peridot could be 8x8 mm. I’m not sure about concave cutting though. This question is best posed to the cutter.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d still go w/Gene''s stone over the other one, if it''s in your price range!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results