shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Ever since lusting over a natural hot pink sapphire I've been trying to find an inexpensive gem to fill my pink void
3.gif
I found this .54 carat spinel for $30. Does it look like a decent stone?

eta: it is not treated

spinel-gem-252726a.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

spinel-gem-252726c.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $30, it's not a huge risk to take, but buyer beware. They do synthesize these gems in various shades. I would not take a seller's word that it is untreated and/or a natural spinel without a reputable lab report, unless you know he/she handled the rough him/herself. It does seem to be a very intense color for the size. It could also be a synthetic sapphire.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It certainly is a pretty little stone and looks to be a great color, at least from the vendor photo. I would expect that the porthole-like window I see would turn into just a culet at real life scale. So the only remaining question, as TL pointed out is the authenticity. Now I look at this vendor''s stuff a lot but I have never bought so I can''t say anything about them. They do seem to have a good rep with others here and you might want to do a search herein pricescope for others'' experiences. their listing for this stone does say that it is from Tanzania. Is it worth it for you to get their $20 certificate for a thirty dollar stone that you will never take to GIA for testing?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The red flag for me is the very inexpensive $30 price for such a super saturated spinel even if it is only a half carat stone. I wouldn’t spend $25 for an AIGS brief for a stone that inexpensive but would suspect a synthetic spinel or beryllium diffused sapphire for that price. It’s just a risk you’ll have to assume.

vsol

Rough_Rock
Does the vendor happen to give dimensions -- that will help a lot with determining authenticity. With that huge pavilion and at .54ct I would expect that stone to have maybe 4mm diameter crown.

manalert

Rough_Rock
Hi, in my opinion it''s quite small and hardly to see when it was set on your ring.
If you fall inlove on round Spinel hope you interest this item like me

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-of-Luster-1-85ct-EXQUISITE-5A-Pink-Round-SPINEL_W0QQitemZ320515245958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4aa0328786

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking for a specific size - 4mm to 5.5mm. I think I''ll pass on this one though, the more I see it the more I don''t like the cut.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps you would consider one of these.

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?page=1&act=viewCat&catId=10

the .67 carat one has been tempting me for months

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 9:12:34 PM
Author: VapidLapid
Perhaps you would consider one of these.

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?page=1&act=viewCat&catId=10

the .67 carat one has been tempting me for months

that stone is pretty but not nearly the colour saturation of the one originally posted - the colour on the original poster''s potential stone seems super saturated for the price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results