shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good quality diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, I''ve been a longtime lurker drooling over everyone''s gorgeous rings! Bf has finally agreed to buy me a ring, and we are on a budget. Can you please help me decide which one of these seems like the best?

1. Certificate GIA 14733704
Cut ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 1.50
Color G
Clarity SI1
Measurements 7.17 x 7.27 x 4.5 mm
Depth Percentage 62.3 %
Table Percentage 58 %
Crown Angle
Pavilion Percentage %
Pavilion Angle
Girdle STK-VTK
Culet N
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Certificate Notes
Other Notes
Clarity-Enhanced NO

2. Stock number: 29563363
Shape: Round
Cut Grade: Ideal
Carat weight: 1.50
Color: G
Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 62.3
Table %: 58
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: STK-VTK
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 7.17x7.27x4.50

Also, what is the difference between a Ideal Cut and a Round Brilliant?

Thank you so much for your help!! I''m so excited! =)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey cecgirl
35.gif

welcome to ps.

the ''two'' diamonds you have posted are actually the same diamond. if you look at the measurements, they are exactly the same. ''ideal'' describes how well a rb (round brilliant) is cut. they aren''t different shapes. one is the cutting style (rb) and the other described how well it is cut (ideal).

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
that''s what i thought might be the case! so, there can be the same diamond posted on different websites at different prices? interesting! thanks for the clarification.

do you think this is a good combo or not? the price is approx. $5000 - $5200.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
articles that may be of interest:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/12/1/Why-are-there-several-dealers-offering-the-exact-same-stone.aspx
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/32/1/Getting-information--In-stock-diamonds-versus-diamonds-located-with-suppliers.aspx

searching for diamonds in virtual inventory can be akin to ''grab bag'' shopping. you may be able to find a needle in the haystack, but you need to know what to look for and when you do, it will take much time and effort. you are better off searching by ''cut quality'' or ''in house''. diamonds that come up in these searches are high quality and have pertinent information readily available.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At that price, the stone must be a horror.

stermag

Shiny_Rock
I would expect a price of a stone with those specs to be at or above $10,000 (assuming it's a nice diamond). I don't really like the measurements of this one. Firstly, they seem too small for a 1.5ct round, and secondly ... 0.1mm difference in min vs. max diameter seems significant to me... but maybe I'm just anal.

The most shocking thing, however, is the price you quoted... it's nearly half what I would expect. Are you sure this wasn't price per carat? 7-8000 would still be kind of low, but at least believable if the stone is really poor or the inclusion makes it unattractive.

ETA: any chance of finding the crown and pavillion angles?

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi and welcome,
I like to help the new people, I was one just a few weeks ago. There is a good deal, and then there is something completely out of line. This stone is offered for $5,000, or about $3,350 per carat.

When somethings looks way too good to be true it usually is. This is an error, this stone, GIA 14733704, is Si2 clarity, J color, (not Si1, G). The girdle thickness doesn''t help the value either.

Best wishes,
David

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
Thank everyone so much for your help! You saved us from buying a horrible stone.

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
We have slightly increased our budget and I''ve searched by cut:

1.3ct H SI2 Round H&A

Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.30ct
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
Optical Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: 1.29%
Culet: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 14811734
In House: Yes
Width: 7.04mm
Length: 7.07mm
Depth: 4.33mm
Table: 55.64%
Depth: 61.33%
Crown Ú: 34.40‹
Crown Depth: 15.27%
Pavilion Ú: 40.85‹
Pavilion Depth: 43.16%
Upper Girdle Ú: 42.01‹
Lower Girdle Ú: 42.12‹

Price: $7,038
(Bank wire price: $6,800)

Does this one look better?

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
gia cert

giacec01.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, that is better. though i think it is really deceptive to label this stone as ''ags ideal cut''. if it were truly ags ideal, it would be sent to ags for the grade instead of gia.
38.gif

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi,
So were looking at $5,000 stones in the morning, and $6,800 stones in the afternoon [$$)]

This is an exceptional cut diamond with outstanding light performance. It has a VH2 VH3 VH2 BrillianceScope report which would be hard to beat at any price with a 58 facet diamond.

This stone is super ideal branded (Good Old Gold) and the price reflects its indisputable top shelf cut.

It is an Si2, and the inclusions are clear under magnification. You may want to talk to GOG about its naked eye clarity. They have an impeccible reputation.

Sincerely,
David

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
I had to beg!
9.gif
"Hooooooonnnneeeey, do you want me to wear a yucky diamond?"

I do like this one, I''ll give GOG a call and check.

Thanks!

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Since you are working with GOG, check out the 1.26 Si1 I. The clarity looks much better, and practically there is not much difference between colors. Awesome light performance as well. Plus it is $200 less. The center of the table inclusion on the Si2 may bother me. Even if it were eye clean, it will be clear anytime someone sees it thru a loupe. Easy call for me between the two...

David

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've ever seen all these numbers with two digits after the decimal point before. Where'd these come from? Is this new from GIA, the King of Rounding???!!!
33.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
BTW, it scored 1.2 TIC/Ex, Ex, Ex, VG on the HCA.

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 7:36:42 PM
Author: Houseparty
Hi,
Since you are working with GOG, check out the 1.26 Si1 I. The clarity looks much better, and practically there is not much difference between colors. Awesome light performance as well. Plus it is $200 less. The center of the table inclusion on the Si2 may bother me. Even if it were eye clean, it will be clear anytime someone sees it thru a loupe. Easy call for me between the two...

David
Hi,
My friend Lynn is on this tread. The 2 digits beyond the decimal point are from Rhino and his sarin machine, not GIA as you say the "king of rounding".

Lynn,
What do you think about my suggestion from the same vendor (GOG):
We value your opinion!
1.26 I SI1 1.5-EX
ex-ex-vg-vg 0
H&A 61.55% 54.78% 34.24° 40.95° 1.17 no ex ex neg 7.00x6.96x4.30 GIA $6852S

Ironically, GIA rounds the PA and CA to 41.0 and 34.0, which is the same GIA angles as "my" stone...

Sincerely,
David

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 9:30:50 PM
Author: Houseparty
Lynn,

What do you think about my suggestion from the same vendor (GOG):

We value your opinion!

1.26 I SI1 1.5-EX

ex-ex-vg-vg 0

H&A 61.55% 54.78% 34.24° 40.95° 1.17 no ex ex neg 7.00x6.96x4.30 GIA $6852S

I think it looks VERY GOOD from the numbers and I love the color/clarity combo. I would totally trust the eyes of any of the folks at GOG, too! Good find, David!

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lynn, David and Belle!

It''s amazing how much faster you learn when it comes to actually buying one - today alone I learned more than I have lurking the past few months!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results