shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond for the price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

engaged2005

Rough_Rock
We''ve been shopping around for a diamond that falls within our budget of around $5,000. We''re more interested in getting a higher quality diamond that really sparkles, rather than bigger and lower quality one, but still in the .9 -1.0 carat range. What do people think of this diamond and its price?

Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 0.93
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Shape: round brillant
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 58%
Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Culet: None
Girdle: medium to slightly thick
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.31-6.34x3.83

Here''s some more info that they had about that diamond:
Diam: 6.32mm
Depth: 3.83mm 60.6%
Crown: 34.3'' 14.1%
Pavil: 40.9'' 43.1%
table: 3.62mm 57.2%
culet: 0.5% v.small
girdle: 1.7% (1.4 - 2.1%)

Cost: $4490 + tax (in SF it''s 8.5%) = $4871

Is this a good price to pay for this diamond or can we do better for our budget?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Going on the numbers alone this appears to be a very nice diamond at a reasonable price. The most important question is - have you seen it?

engaged2005

Rough_Rock

Yes, we''ve seen the diamond in the store. It looks really nice. But then again, lots of diamonds look nice to us, it''s difficult to tell the difference.

Another question is that this diamond doesn''t have a GIA laser inscription on the girdle. Is this okay or should we pay a little extra to get the laser inscription added? We were told that since there are some inclusions on the diamond, we should be able to identify the diamond based on the inclusions alone.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2005 12:13:15 AM
Author: engaged2005

Yes, we've seen the diamond in the store. It looks really nice. But then again, lots of diamonds look nice to us, it's difficult to tell the difference.

If the jeweler will allow it, you may examine the diamond in several lighting conditions. Most diamonds look nice under direct store lighting. Consider seeing it in diffuse light, like a cloudy day, or softer indirect conditions as well (if available on site).

Another question is that this diamond doesn't have a GIA laser inscription on the girdle. Is this okay or should we pay a little extra to get the laser inscription added? We were told that since there are some inclusions on the diamond, we should be able to identify the diamond based on the inclusions alone.

It sounds like you are receiving good advice from the jeweler. The numbers indicate good cut and GIA is very reputable as a lab. Were the crown and pavilion angle measurements you got on a Sarin report?

engaged2005

Rough_Rock
I think it was a Sarin report. The additional informatiion was printed on a small sticker stuck to the back of the GIA report. I''ll double check with the jeweler that it''s a Sarin report. Thanks for your help.

JC

Shiny_Rock
I agree with John. It looks like a nice diamond at a fair price. If you''ve seen it and you like it than I would go for it. Too bad about that sales tax though. Good luck....

35.gif

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Engaged, I can''t comment too much on the numbers as the experts have already chimmed in. The stone scores under 2 on the cut advisor, so that is good. :) If you like it & it speaks to you go with it.

However, If you would like to maximize your budget, which I suspect you were considering based on original post, have you considered dropping down one notch on the clarity scale to a SI1? You can look for an eye clean stone. This will allow you to get a little bit bigger stone around the 1ct range, but will still have that great cut you are looking for. When you use the search engine on this site & search by cut quality/HCA it pulls up a few stones at the 1.01 ct mark for $5300 + or - $100. That''s $400 more than you will pay with the current stone you are scoping, but it will allow you to get the most bang for your buck. Plus you don''t have to pay sales tax as it''s an internet vendor. :) Food for thought. See example below. Good luck either way.
21.gif

This one scores a 1.3 on the hca...it''s a 1.01 G SI1 $5256.....http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=GIA-13673371

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results