Depth: 62.4%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 44.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted (4.0%)
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Comments
Additional twinning wisps, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

joecphoto

Rough_Rock
Sorry typo GIA 2136225517

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found it.

screen_shot_2012-06-27_at_0.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good cut is more important to the beautiful light performance of a diamond than clarity or color.

There are two tools to evaluate the cut of a round, HCA and Idealscope.
First plug in 4 numbers from the GIA report into the HCA.

I did and it scored a 3.0,
I would reject diamonds that score over 2.0 on the HCA, and get Idealscope pics on those that score 2.0 or under and compare the pics to this chart.

screen_shot_2012-06-27_at_1.png

idealscope_ref_chart.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

joecphoto

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info!
I just purchased this diamond yesterday and have a 30 day return policy. I paid $5950 with a very nice halo setting with pave diamonds on the side. Fair price?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
joecphoto|1340845580|3224826 said:
Thanks for the info!
I just purchased this diamond yesterday and have a 30 day return policy. I paid $5950 with a very nice halo setting with pave diamonds on the side. Fair price?

Can't say, how good of a deal it was.
Setting quality and price varies a great deal.
Much more importantly, you bought a diamond that is not as well cut as it could be.
Imagine you and I are standing in a room.
I have a flashlight and you have a mirror.
If you don't hold the mirror at exactly the right angle it will not reflect the light back to my eyes.
Multiply that by the complexity of 57 facets and you understand how important good cut is.

Why spend $6000 on something that will never look as good as it could have because it was cut to retain weight rather than optimize the beauty of the light performance?
Once you see a diamond with the best cut in all lighting conditions away from that deceptive jewelry store lighting [which can make a lump of coal sparkle] there is no turning back.

If you want to spend your money on a diamond that performs less than optimum, then you are a different person than I.
But once you see a super-ideal next to something less you will be converted to our religion.

People vary.
For my money I want the best light show possible from a white diamond.
I'd tell your vendor you want a FULL cash refund immediately and offer no explanation. (They'll probably lie to talk you out of it.)

Read PS for a few weeks before you start shopping again.
You're lucky you found Pricescope before it was too late.
You are going to end up with a better-performing diamond for less money.

joecphoto

Rough_Rock
The dealer made the ring for me the same day. I will contact him and see what we can do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
joecphoto|1340846818|3224847 said:
The dealer made the ring for me the same day. I will contact him and see what we can do.

30-day return means 30-day return.

You are in the driver's seat, but by saying, " I will contact him and see what we can do" you are showing weakness which the dealer will sense and exploit.

Did you pay by credit card or cash or bank wire?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly hope you get a full cash refund and can walk away from this dealer.

If (s)he fights the refund and insists on an exchange just present the HCA and Idealscope your criteria for round selection.
They will charge you more for a well-cut diamond for the same reason a male dog licks his b@lls, simply because he can and it feels good.

It's up to you to fight their refund policy legally, or not.

The best-cut diamonds at the best prices are from online vendors like James Allen, Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, CraftedbyInfinity, which participate here on PS.
Briangavindiamonds is also a great vendor but there's bad blood between him and Pricescope, but I'd buy from Brian in a heartbeat.

These vendors get called onto the carpet here on Pricescope when a customer has an issue and I believe that is a HUGE benefit of giving them your business.

Can you name your diamond seller here?
Will (s)he post here to justify their decision on this transaction and refund? . . . I didn't think so.

joecphoto

Rough_Rock
If the dealer is willing to replace the stone with same
Carat Weight: 1.02 carat
Color Grade: J
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Finish: Excellent

and replace with a stone scoring 2.0 on the HCA. Would that be a fair resolution? This is a trusted dealer recommended by pricescope. I will not mention names until I give them a chance to respond. They are not one of the dealers you mentioned

Thanks for your help!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
joecphoto|1340848139|3224865 said:
If the dealer is willing to replace the stone with same
Carat Weight: 1.02 carat
Color Grade: J
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Finish: Excellent

and replace with a stone scoring 2.0 on the HCA. Would that be a fair resolution? This is a trusted dealer recommended by pricescope. I will not mention names until I give them a chance to respond. There not one of the dealers you mentioned

Thanks for your help!

GIA Excellent is too large of a target.
Sorry.
You want a good HCA score (2.0 or under) AND a good Idealscope image.

It includes diamonds cut too deeply to perform as well as possible.
IMHO GIA did this to remain friendly with the hands that pay them, diamond cutters who profit more from diamonds that are cut to retain weight rather than perform optimally with light.

HCA is only the FIRST selection step.
HCA is a rejection tool, not an acceptance tool, because the single number reported as the crown angle on the GIA report (such as 34.7 degrees) and the pavilion angle (such as 40.8 degrees) is an AVERAGE of 8 numbers, since a diamond has 8 sections.
Ideally all 8 crown angles and all 8 pavilion angles would be identical.
In reality they may vary from high to low, but AVERAGE out to a perfect number.
This may lead to inadequate and deceptive results if you ONLY look at the HCA score.

A properly-taken Idealscope picture will reveal variations in the 8, actually 16, angles.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi joecphoto
Before anything- I can't comment on any particular seller, or stone, I can only make general comments.

I agree that GIA's EX cut grade is fairly wide- and also that it includes some diamonds which experts may not feel is the best possible cut.
It is possible to limit the variables, by using the tools, as Kenny is describing.
BUT- before you get really scared, let me also say that not every buyer will be able to perceive the difference between a stone at the edge of GIA's EX cut grade. Just like some buyers need to buy a D because even a little color bothers them, some seek perfection in cut, Nothing wrong with that- but it might not be your best path.
Furthermore, it's not fair to make generalizations that any given diamond was cut- or sold- with bad intentions due to a low HCA score.
Many sellers with good intentions rely on GIA EX cut grade- simply because they're not interested in the "top 2%"- and are shopping for a more broad audience- so they probably never head of HCA_ or even ASET.
I'm not saying you should keep the diamond - or return it.
Only that you should stay calm- if I understand correctly you have a written money back guarantee.
So take a step back before you get too upset.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results