shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal (antique platinum eternity ring)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robainya

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a wedding band to complement my antique e-ring (.85 ct I/SI1 old mine cut center stone, six .02 ct round side diamonds, set in platinum), but i have a tight budget. I love the way eternity rings look with my e-ring, but most that i have seen have been WAY over my budget. I saw an eternity ring online, though, that seems like a really good deal. I''m hoping you knowledgeable people can give me your opinions. Is there something i am missing?

The ring comes from a reliable seller and, i''m told, is in excellent condition and is a genuine vintage piece. Here are the specs:

ESTATE 1920s ANTIQUE PLATINUM DIAMOND WEDDING ETERNITY RING
Super nice antique circa 1920s diamond band with round diamonds .
2.1mm wide.
Weight 2.0gr.
The diamonds are clean and white, VS1/SI1-CLARITY, G/H- COLOR.
Aprox. total diamond weight 1/2ct.
Price: $395

eternityiwanta2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a charming option. The diamonds are probably single-cut, which don''t sparkle as loudly as full-cut diamonds but were commonly used back then and might match the little diamonds on your engagement ring.

Is it the right size for you? It''s not a style tht will be easy to size.

robainya

Rough_Rock
Yes, they are single cut stones, but that is what i want because i want them to match the single cuts on my e-ring. I''ve tried on several with full cut stones and they just look wrong with it. I guess i''m sort of a purist, but i don''t even like antique repros made with old stones with my e-ring. The only thing that really looks right to my eye is an actual vintage ring with single cut stones.

The ring is a 6 1/2 and I wear a 6 1/4, but i''m told i can use sizing balls since it''s a pretty small difference. Do you think that''s true?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I think that ring is lovely, and very charming, and it sounds like you know what you want and have found it.

Regarding the sizing balls... I'd check with a local reputable jeweler about that. A vendor recently told me that sizing pads (and balls, too, I assume?) cannot be placed in an eternity band if it has holes all around the inside. If you ever learn any different, please let us know!

PS What's a "single cut" diamond?

robainya

Rough_Rock
Lynn, I''m no diamond expert, but "single cuts" refer to old stones (like from the early part of the 20th century, i believe). Modern cuts or full cuts just look different. My engagement ring is an antique and has old stones in it, so i just want the stones in my wedding band to look the same. Someone else on this forum can probably actually tell us what the difference is between single cut and full cut stones. All i know is that the equipment and techniques used to cut them are different so they look different.

Thanks for the input about sizing balls in eternity bands. I''m going to post that as a separate question.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Single cut has 8 crown and 8 pavilion facets which defines girdle shape as octagonal, not round.

Would be helpful, bellacapella, if you can post picture of your e-ring, preferably a profile.

Also, you may wear this band on the "wrist" side of an e-ring - it wouldn''t get lost that way, even if it''s 1/4 size bigger.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
it sounds and looks like the perfect match! And the price - wow!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It''s probably the perfect size. When you wear two rings together, they both have to be slightly bigger because they add up to a wider ring. And since it''s an eternity ring, it won''t matter if it spins.

I say go for it!

robainya

Rough_Rock
Okay,finally.Here is my e-ring (sorry, this is the only pic i can come up with right now. I may be able to post a profile pic at some point...)

bellacap2.jpg

robainya

Rough_Rock
By the way, i was reluctant to put up pix of my e-ring because my question wasn''t "do you think this is the right choice." I have tried on lots of similar eternity rings with the e-ring and i like the look. My question for you folks was "Do you think this sounds like a good deal?" I am just worried that my judgement may be clouded by my desire to have an eternity ring even though i can''t afford most of the ones I''ve seen. If you have thoughts on whether or not this seems like a good deal, please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results