shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a GIA Steep/Deep?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gregh

Rough_Rock
I am confused. This stone comes up as Ex/ex/ex on the GIA cert but is thoroughly trashed by the HCA. I have not seen it but am curious if this is one of the GIA Steep/Deeps I have heard about. Any thoughts?

From GIA Cert:
Carat: 1.25
Cut/Polish/symetry - ex/ex/ex
Table - 57
Depth - 62.4
P Angle - 41
C angle - 36

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it is.

Pass.
5.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 6:50:08 PM
Author: Ellen
Yes it is.

Pass.
5.gif
well said

gregh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. I have a question regarding your suggestion though. What would make you pass on this steep/deep is one of the angles poor or is it all of them that you suggest avoiding?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Look on this page at the drawing of the diamond
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/crn_pav.asp

The crown angle is high (on the right side of the drawing), means the top is 'taller' relative to that drawing
The pav angle is high, which means the bottom is 'taller in the other direction' (i.e. longer or deeper) relative to that drawing
does that make sense? I am trying to make an analogy but I may not be very clear. when both angle #s are high, it makes the stone very 'long'. (think of someone coming along and squishing the diamond from both sides towards the middle - makes it longer and less spread/width when viewed from above)
A pav angle of 41 could be okay with the right crown angle (would need to be shallower [=lower] #), but a pav angle of 41 can be a bit riskier with a GIA report b/c GIA rounds and it may not really be a 41 pa. (AGS does not round).
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results