shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this 2ct diamond reasonably priced?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds are not in my collection, so I don't have much research and I don't know the price of diamonds very well. But I need a diamond around 2ct, set it as a gift and give it to someone. I have bought a 2ct GIA diamond for $35,000, is this diamond a reasonable price?
DSC_7555.jpg DSC_7559.jpg DSC_7565.jpg DSC_7585-2.jpg DSC_7588.jpg DSC_7589.jpg DSC_7593.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7567.jpg
    DSC_7567.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_7568.jpg
    DSC_7568.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_7578.jpg
    DSC_7578.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_7591.jpg
    DSC_7591.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I would venture that it is overpriced, given that you could get an ACA from Whiteflash (albeit one color grade down) for very close to that price. The ACA would be a diamond with verified light performance and an upgrade policy where are you only have to spend one dollar more to upgrade with 100% credit for your purchase price. I would encourage you to search the threads for people talking about their Whiteflash ACAs to see why they are so highly recommended here. The parameters for AGS triple zero are much tighter than GIA triple excellent and Whiteflash has done ASET and idealscope scans to ensure that no other factors are inhibiting the diamond’s performance. You have a generous budget so I would want to get the best of the best where I would have full confidence that I was getting a stunning diamond. Example: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4462537.htm

IIRC @yssie has very similar proportions for her ER (I remember the 36.5/40.6 combo) and she is a powerhouse of info on cut. So I have tagged her here. Hope she doesn’t mind weighing in!

From a price POV, is the stone 35k before or after taxes?

Comps from PS search engine for stones size 2-2.05ct, F VS1 3Ex None Fluoro: ranging from $34,892 to $41,961 excl tax. So the price itself seems fair IMO.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
IIRC @yssie has very similar proportions for her ER (I remember the 36.5/40.6 combo) and she is a powerhouse of info on cut. So I have tagged her here. Hope she doesn’t mind weighing in!

From a price POV, is the stone 35k before or after taxes?

Comps from PS search engine for stones size 2-2.05ct, F VS1 3Ex None Fluoro: ranging from $34,892 to $41,961 excl tax. So the price itself seems fair IMO.

Thanks for the info, $35k is after taxes, looks like a reasonable price

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I would venture that it is overpriced, given that you could get an ACA from Whiteflash (albeit one color grade down) for very close to that price. The ACA would be a diamond with verified light performance and an upgrade policy where are you only have to spend one dollar more to upgrade with 100% credit for your purchase price. I would encourage you to search the threads for people talking about their Whiteflash ACAs to see why they are so highly recommended here. The parameters for AGS triple zero are much tighter than GIA triple excellent and Whiteflash has done ASET and idealscope scans to ensure that no other factors are inhibiting the diamond’s performance. You have a generous budget so I would want to get the best of the best where I would have full confidence that I was getting a stunning diamond. Example: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4462537.htm

Thank you for your information

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
It surprised me when I saw you looking for diamond and seeking advice in Rocky Talky Forum. I am glad as it would be something I might be able to give little advice (not anything comparable to how much I learn from you about Colored stones ofcox)

It’s for someone like a friend but not your partner right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding the price, I will say it’l be a reasonable price if we are talking about a top modern round brilliant (MRB) cut of the colour and clarity grade of your stone, to simply answer your question. I will also take below Whiteflash stone as a reference.

You mentioned you didn’t do much research, I am actually not sure and will like to know how much you already know about MRB diamond or how much you would like to know about it. This would let the expert and connoisseur here know how they can assist you better.

For what I can help, MRB diamond could be easier to choose and buy than Colored stones, as it’s more about light performance, which is determined by its cut proportions as well as optical symmetry, and make it more “predictable”. And ofcox, colour and clarity are still important while depends on one’s personal preference and budget.

It looks like The proportions of your diamond could work as mentioned already in above post. It’s a bit outside the usually recommended proportion range (You May take the more often recommended range as one offering performance that’s more balanced between white light brilliance and Colored dispersion) but have potential to still work (leaning more to dispersion) IF cut precisely.

That said, cut precision is Especially important for MRB diamond. I have to add here, that proportions shown on GIA reports may not be accurate enough because they round the numbers. From what we view from your images, it looks promising. However, the only way to confirm is viewing the diamond under ASET scope or Idealscope, which are also what’s automatically provided with white flash’s ACA (A Cut Above, their top cut, in house diamonds) stones like the ones suggested in this thread. We called such kind of vendors who sell finest cut MRB “super ideal vendors”, companies like Brian Gavin, Victor Canera are also considered the same.

Do you have those mentioned scope images for the stone you bought or are you comfortable to share where did you get the stone from?

Another thing to consider when folks here buy MRB is the chance to upgrade in future as this is another advantage of working with the super ideal vendors as they usually have a good upgrade policy, while whiteflash is particularly praised in this part with the easiest policy to upgrade as already mentioned in above post. Nonetheless, it might be of less importance if you are not buying for yourself or partner, say just a friend, that’s why I asked who you bought the stone to.

I also recall that you didn’t set your Colored stones, so you may not want to have too much hassle on setting this diamond. At the same time, you don’t want to compromise on the setting quality as it’ll be a gift. So again going with someone like Whiteflash is more convenient. It’s true as they have in house bench and connection with many companies who make quality settings. If you could advise the setting style you vision, members here would also help provide suggestions I am sure.

Hope this at least provide some useful info or thought. Definitely not saying your stone is not good, it looks in deed promising even if it’s a finalised buy that no return is available. Do let us know how you process:)

Last edited:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
It surprised me when I saw you looking for diamond and seeking advice in Rocky Talky Forum. I am glad as it would be something I might be able to give little advice (not anything comparable to how much I learn from you about Colored stones ofcox)

It’s for someone like a friend but not your partner right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding the price, I will say it’l be a reasonable price if we are talking about a top modern round brilliant (MRB) cut of the colour and clarity grade of your stone, to simply answer your question. I will also take below Whiteflash stone as a reference.

You mentioned you didn’t do much research, I am actually not sure and will like to know how much you already know about MRB diamond or how much you would like to know about it. This would let the expert and connoisseur here know how they can assist you better.

For what I can help, MRB diamond could be easier to choose and buy than Colored stones, as it’s more about light performance, which is determined by its cut proportions as well as optical symmetry, and make it more “predictable”. And ofcox, colour and clarity are still important while depends on one’s personal preference and budget.

It looks like The proportions of your diamond could work as mentioned already in above post. It’s a bit outside the usually recommended proportion range (You May take the more often recommended range as one offering performance that’s more balanced between white light brilliance and Colored dispersion) but have potential to still work (leaning more to dispersion) IF cut precisely.

That said, cut precision is Especially important for MRB diamond. I have to add here, that proportions shown on GIA reports may not be accurate enough because they round the numbers. From what we view from your images, it looks promising. However, the only way to confirm is viewing the diamond under ASET scope or Idealscope, which are also what’s automatically provided with white flash’s ACA (A Cut Above, their top cut, in house diamonds) stones like the ones suggested in this thread. We called such kind of vendors who sell finest cut MRB “super ideal vendors”, companies like Brian Gavin, Victor Canera are also considered the same.

Do you have those mentioned scope images for the stone you bought or are you comfortable to share where did you get the stone from?

Another thing to consider when folks here buy MRB is the chance to upgrade in future as this is another advantage of working with the super ideal vendors as they usually have a good upgrade policy, while whiteflash is particularly praised in this part with the easiest policy to upgrade as already mentioned in above post. Nonetheless, it might be of less importance if you are not buying for yourself or partner, say just a friend, that’s why I asked who you bought the stone to.

I also recall that you didn’t set your Colored stones, so you may not want to have too much hassle on setting this diamond. At the same time, you don’t want to compromise on the setting quality as it’ll be a gift. So again going with someone like Whiteflash is more convenient. It’s true as they have in house bench and connection with many companies who make quality settings. If you could advise the setting style you vision, members here would also help provide suggestions I am sure.

Hope this at least provide some useful info or thought. Definitely not saying your stone is not good, it looks in deed promising even if it’s a finalised buy that no return is available. Do let us know how you process:)

Thank you for such detailed advice. This diamond is for my sister. Because I know that GIA diamonds are relatively standard commodity gems, the prices of diamonds with similar parameters should not be much different. Of course, there are differences in prices at different times. I think this diamond is good enough quality for the setting, I just don't know if my seller gave me a fair price. I'm relieved to see that you all think the prices are fair

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with other posters, price looks very reasonable for size/colour/clarity.

And it looks like a nice stone to me. The girdle variance you can see in the (excellently-taken!) profile pic is not unexpected - possibly to remove inclusions, likely to preserve weight. But it also doesn’t matter, it’s slight and not systemic and has no negative appearance on the face-up, and you’re not paying a precision-cutting premium anyway.

Your sister will be thrilled. What a gift!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
45% stars would have been better, but they did dig the uppers a bit to lower the angle of the uppers. Its right on the edge of having it be an issue.
I would estimate the CA on the high side of the gia gross rounding.
Overall a well cut stone that skirts the edge of having an issue.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
45% stars would have been better, but they did dig the uppers a bit to lower the angle of the uppers. Its right on the edge of having it be an issue.

Did they dig the upper or the lowers/both?
I presumed the lowers from that side on, and also the on hand face up
(But not to any degree - heh - worth worrying over)

So is this just random variance? -

Edit to add pic
428F7205-59D3-4DE6-B976-31D0C27A4677.jpeg

Ugh. Wait which meet is the zero index :lol: Karl, garry, help :bigsmile:

Last edited:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Agree with other posters, price looks very reasonable for size/colour/clarity.

And it looks like a nice stone to me. The girdle variance you can see in the (excellently-taken!) profile pic is not unexpected - possibly to remove inclusions, likely to preserve weight. But it also doesn’t matter, it’s slight and not systemic and has no negative appearance on the face-up, and you’re not paying a precision-cutting premium anyway.

Your sister will be thrilled. What a gift!

Thanks

landscape

Shiny_Rock

This is not a gem for collectibles. So I don't have too strict requirements, as long as there are no flaws in the appearance after inlaying, it is OK. The purpose of this post is to ask diamond experts to see if the price is reasonable, and now my purpose has been achieved, thank you all

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is not a gem for collectibles. So I don't have too strict requirements, as long as there are no flaws in the appearance after inlaying, it is OK. The purpose of this post is to ask diamond experts to see if the price is reasonable, and now my purpose has been achieved, thank you all
Congrates!!!
I thought about letting it go but added it for people in the future looking for a stone with these numbers.
This one looks ok, but they can be problematic when not done right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results