shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this 0.9ct a lot smaller than the norm?

hamandcheese

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I placed an order for a 0.9ct diamond which finally arrived yesterday. I went to take a look at it and I'm not sure if it's just me but it seemed to look a lot smaller than what I was expecting? I looked at a lot of mod shots online of people who had the same diamond size (some even slightly smaller at ~0.7/0.8 ) and theirs just seemed a lot bigger?? My finger size is a US 3.5 for reference so I honestly thought a 0.9 would provide decent finger coverage.

On the GIA report, the measurements are 6.12 - 6.16 x 3.82 mm - I was just wondering if this is a lot smaller than a standard 0.9ct? Also, is there a huge visual difference between this diamond and a standard 1ct? Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA report? Is the stone deeper than usual? Is the girdle Extra-thick? It does seem a tad small for its carat weight.

Edit...I would think a .9 on a 3.5 finger would be pretty decent coverage.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what kind of finger coverage you were looking for...here is a standard .9 6.2mm vs. a .9 6.14mm(like yours) on a size 3.5
finger.

Edit...I got the 6.2mm .9 measurements from a Super Ideal
snip1.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for comparison, here they are on my huge size 6 1/2 finger:cheeky: (definitely jealous of your itty bitty fingers!)
snip1.png

hamandcheese

Rough_Rock
And for comparison, here they are on my huge size 6 1/2 finger:cheeky: (definitely jealous of your itty bitty fingers!)
snip1.png

It actually looks pretty decent in your screenshot. However in person the size of the diamond looked quite underwhelming. I think I must’ve been influenced by all the other beautiful huge rings I see here on the forum :lol:

Here is a screenshot of the proportions from the GIA report:
D3B76DEC-57AD-42AF-9BE2-364A4515BE0F.jpeg

rubyruby

Rough_Rock
Maybe some of the discrepancy comes down to diamonds/rings looking larger in photos because of the zoom/perspective? Handshots of my ring often appear to be way bigger than what I see looking down on my hand.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'm afraid that seeing all the larger stones on PS can be a bit deceiving. So what are your plans? If you drop the color
down to G/H you may be able to go slightly bigger but I'm not sure if its still going to be enough in your mind.

Have you considered going with a Super Ideal that has a good trade-up policy? Only problem is that you will probably have to
go slightly smaller to stay in your current budget.

Edit...Halo your current stone? That really gives them quite a boost.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess you didnt get the opportunity to try any on in person before you ordered online? I think it would be a good idea to go
do that now to see what size stone gives you that finger coverage you are looking for.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not @musicloveranthony but I think this thread is his Super Ideal .89

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe some of the discrepancy comes down to diamonds/rings looking larger in photos because of the zoom/perspective? Handshots of my ring often appear to be way bigger than what I see looking down on my hand.

Was just going to say exactly this. Photos taken with a one-eyed camera will make a diamond look bigger on the finger than you’d see with two eyes in-person from the same distance away as the camera. And photos taken with the one-eyed camera closer to the ring will make the diamond look bigger on the finger than photos taken with the same one-eyed camera held further away.

Reason is subtend angle. Here’s something I wrote (in Pearls, but same exact idea with diamonds) that explains and quantifies that what and why.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results