shape
carat
color
clarity

is there a rap sheet for yellow diamonds ?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if no....how does the vendor come up with a price?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2005 3:42:48 AM
Author:Dancing Fire

DF, you are not an economist, are you?

That is the only folk I know that would gingerly ask that question and expect deep thoughts to follow
23.gif

Unfortunately, most of that brilliant acedemic discussion is often laughed at in practice, and I am affraid it is for good reason.
7.gif
Otherwise this post would have went allot longer than this
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2005 6:40:33 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 10/24/2005 6:21:36 AM
Author: mdx
Gary

Do you know why its red

Johan
Old joke
What is black and white, but read all over?

Actually Johan, I think it is meant to be a color that screws up photocopiers
Garry

A NEWSPAPER!!!! what did i win?
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2005 7:21:55 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 10/24/2005 3:42:48 AM
Author:Dancing Fire

DF, you are not an economist, are you?

That is the only folk I know that would gingerly ask that question and expect deep thoughts to follow
23.gif

Unfortunately, most of that brilliant acedemic discussion is often laughed at in practice, and I am affraid it is for good reason.
7.gif
Otherwise this post would have went allot longer than this
11.gif
Ana
i''m a numismatist.is that close enough? i''m thinking about
20.gif
taking Alan Greenspan''s job, when he retires.
16.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is no published sheet for fancy colors or any colors below M that is trade accepted all over the world in the way Rapaport''s Sheet has managed to become accepted. Richard Drucker does publish guidance for yellow to fancy color yellow diamonds which is helpful, and relates well to asking prices, but it must be used with great caution....just like Rapaport. No doubt, someone else may publish prices like Drucker does, too. The same warning would definitely apply.

There is no shortage of dealers with these diamonds who will ask competitive prices of their best customers. Pricing is not so much a problem as finding such prices in printed form as a comparison tool. The best way to know the value is to shop, compare, ask questions and learn from those who stock and sell these stones on a regular basis. Little else works as well. You need to see these diamonds as the grading of their color is less regular than in the D-M range. There is plenty of room for improvement.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Dave, our discussion in the other, clarity-related, thread begs a question here.

You are working closely with Imagem, involved in mechanical grading. Are there plans for mechanical grading of fancy colors? In my opinion that could prove helpful in a difficult aspect of grading, though it would be something of a niche focus.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While it is not on this mionth''s agenda, ImaGem is absolutely going to go down the road of grading fancy color diamonds, too. THere is no reason to leave color grading as it exists today. Subjectivity, lack of repeatability, and the "trust us" approach just don''t sit as well with consumers today as they once did when people had no other choice.

ImaGem was designed to grade absence of color and also to grade hue, tone and intensity of all colors. It is not yet being done that way since fancy colors are graded face-up and colorless stones are graded from the side view. The device can do it either way and it is a matter of lots of programming and data buliding.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
On a similar note, why are almost all yellow diamonds radiant cut? Personally I think an emerald or a round cut would be so much more stuninng, especially in the sizes that the yellow radiants seem to come in...I can''t remember having seen any yellow diamonds in emerald or round cuts while radiants are all over the place. There must be a reason for this - what is it?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2005 4:00:19 PM
Author: teagreen
On a similar note, why are almost all yellow diamonds radiant cut? Personally I think an emerald or a round cut would be so much more stuninng, especially in the sizes that the yellow radiants seem to come in...I can't remember having seen any yellow diamonds in emerald or round cuts while radiants are all over the place. There must be a reason for this - what is it?
Hi Teagreen,

It's much more difficult to entrap body color in a round than other shapes because rounds optimize light return. They are cut into radiants because it's a better way to entrap and make the color potent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results