shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a difference between G and H colors once mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mahende

Rough_Rock
I am currently looking at a stone the following stone......

1.52 ct
VS2
H
D = 71%
T = 76%

6.48x6.47x4.60

GIA

I realize that cut has a lot to do with perceived color.....but if I have two stones that are mounted one a G and one a H would I be able to tell the difference? I have read some places that you shouldn't be able to see any color in an H that is mounted, others say you can. I would like your opinions........I am thinking about maybe droping a clarity to go to a G.....but I am hesitant cause VS2 gives me a peace of mind about the clarity. I have heard that fancy cut diamonds and size can make color more apparent....but I didn't know if 1.5ct would be considered a big diamond. Thanks guys! Ya'll have already been a huge help!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not, unless you''re very color sensitive and are in the right lighting conditions. I''m sure if you''re looking for a color difference you might be able to see it, but casual comparison by diamond "amateurs" probably won''t notice anything, particularly if the cut is excellent. Color doesn''t seem to be to important in the "real world", IMO. Size, then shape, then sparkle, and the other stuff sort of fades into technical jargon and details that only us obsessed folks like to talk about.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would stick with the H VS2. It''s usually pretty hard to tell the difference b/w G and H once the stone is set, unless you''re REALLY sensitive to color. Although, if the color really bothers you, you could probably take your color to a G and get away with a slightly lower clarity while still maintaining your eye-cleanliness.

It really depends on what will make you feel better; as you said, you get peace of mind from the VS2 clarity rating...so would the H color rating detract hugely from that peace of mind? Would you have more or less peace of mind with, for example, an eye-clean SI1 G?

Like I said, I would personally vote for the H VS2, but that''s just me. Actually, I''d probably check out what else was available in the I-J color range, but that''s just cuz I''m starting to realize how much I love stones with a *little* color, first of all because I just like how they look, and second, because of the great value for the $$$ you get with stones like that.

Just MHO, take it or leave it. My feelings won''t be hurt.
9.gif

Versailles79

Rough_Rock
What about the difference between a F color and G color? I know this one grade difference in color might not be noticeable but I was wondering if there are any Uoooos and Ahhhhssss associated with a F color? I am referring to the uooosss and ahhhss when someone tells me that they have a D color IF clarity...

I am deciding between two VERY similar diamonds (both ideal cut, VS2, same size), but just the colors are different. The price difference is $1800... is it worth it to pay $1800 more to upgrade from a G color to F color?

Thanks.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 3 stone ring that has E-F-G stones. I cannot see a difference between the F/G or E/F, but I can see a diff between the E/G.
All are GIA graded, but since they are inherited stones, the cuts on them vary. I personally think you will not be able to see one grade difference.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 11:44:04 PM
Author: Versailles79
What about the difference between a F color and G color? I know this one grade difference in color might not be noticeable but I was wondering if there are any Uoooos and Ahhhhssss associated with a F color? I am referring to the uooosss and ahhhss when someone tells me that they have a D color IF clarity...

I am deciding between two VERY similar diamonds (both ideal cut, VS2, same size), but just the colors are different. The price difference is $1800... is it worth it to pay $1800 more to upgrade from a G color to F color?

Thanks.
To me??? Not worth it. That''s $1800 for something that most people you come in contact with won''t be able to tell the difference between. Unless the knowledge that your diamond is an F is worth $1800 to you, I wouldn''t do it.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
A 1.52 compared to a 1.0?

I''m SURE the only difference most people would notice is the size, not the slight difference in color! I''m sure the stone is gorgeous. Good luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No difference at all.
H looks as good as a G, once mounted.

Same with G and F.
Same with F and E.
Same with E and D.

Everyone that bought a G, F, E or a D threw away money.
They should have bought an H.

Unless, that is, you are deciding between an H and an I.
9.gif

Seriously, the differences of one step in color are slight to most people.

Are you one of them?
Go into a store with similar stones.
One an H, the other a G.
Turn them up side down under good light against a white background.
Do you see a difference?
How much.
Enough to justify the price?
Maybe yes, Maybe no.

But you get what you pay for.
If you want the colorlessness of a G you have to pay for it.

You don't need us to justify anything.

Unless you are Bill Gates every stone is a compromise.
Make your compromise.
Buy your stone.
Be at peace.

You want my advice?
Get a SMALLER stone of better color, cut and clarity.

See, you didn't want my advice.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think that you would really be able to see that much difference with only one grade of separation between the color grades. You probably wouldn''t see any difference in a mounted stone unless you went up at least 2 grades to an F. Even then, it would be slight. You are talking about the two highest grades in the near colorless range, so either should appear essentially colorless.

As far as making a compromise and going down in clarity just to go up one grade in color? I''m not sure it would be worth it. G/H are both going to look white. A VS2 stone is pretty much guaranteed to be eye clean. An SI stone may or may not be. I guess what I''m trying to say is the difference between the G and H color grades would be negligible or none, but you might see a significant difference between a VS stone and an SI stone.

Whatever you decide to do, get the best cut diamond you can afford. At the end of the day, the cut of the diamond is going to make the biggest difference in the appearance, along with the size.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
hi mahende,
What shape are each of the stones?
What type of settings are are each one mounted in?

E B

Ideal_Rock
...so, wait. Is my "I color" diamond still going to face up white? It''s a RB Ideal cut. Everyone''s saying go with an H, but what about an I?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 1:22:56 AM
Author: EBree
...so, wait. Is my ''I color'' diamond still going to face up white? It''s a RB Ideal cut. Everyone''s saying go with an H, but what about an I?
The initial question in THIS post was regarding a G vs H stone. What are you comparing your I diamond to? If you already own the diamond, and it looks white to you, I wouldn''t worry about it.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
If you have a bezel setting the H should be just fine. I personally am color sensitive, I can see the color in a H from the side view, however these were in B&M stores, so I do not know what certs they were or how well they were cut. The Fs & Gs I have seen are gorgeous.

I think G is a happy medium if you are concerned about an H color.

mahende

Rough_Rock
hi mahende,
What shape are each of the stones?
What type of settings are are each one mounted in?
David
Diamonds by Lauren/ Rock Diamond Corp
http://diamondsbylauren.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The diamond is a princess cut and will be mounted on a solitare setting.......

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Color grading in diamonds from D throguh I color is very finely dividing what might be better done in two or three steps. Something like D/E, F/G and H/I. Colorless, near colorless and white. There are differences between the colors that trained eyes can see it when the stones are out of the mountings and sometimes, mostly due to the way a diamond is cut, some color grading can be differentiated when stones are set, too. The larger the diamond, the more noticeable the color seems to change between color grades.

To some people, a color grade is an absolute. hTHey want what they want and don''t care if they can see the difference. These folks have needs which we can meet, but they invariably pay for it. A less harsh approach is more flexible and will save time and a bit of money. One color grade difference most of the time is not a visible issue.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 7:48:24 AM
Author: suziQ

...so, wait. Is my ''I color'' diamond still going to face up white? It''s a RB Ideal cut. Everyone''s saying go with an H, but what about an I?
The initial question in THIS post was regarding a G vs H stone. What are you comparing your I diamond to? If you already own the diamond, and it looks white to you, I wouldn''t worry about it.
I don''t have my diamond yet. I was just curious, as I noticed Kenny''s post and felt a bit uneasy. Then, I remembered how I''m not color sensitive in the least. No worries!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 1:54:27 PM

Date: 9/28/2005 7:48:24 AM
Author: suziQ

...so, wait. Is my 'I color' diamond still going to face up white? It's a RB Ideal cut. Everyone's saying go with an H, but what about an I?
The initial question in THIS post was regarding a G vs H stone. What are you comparing your I diamond to? If you already own the diamond, and it looks white to you, I wouldn't worry about it.
I don't have my diamond yet. I was just curious, as I noticed Kenny's post and felt a bit uneasy. Then, I remembered how I'm not color sensitive in the least. No worries!
Reading some of these threads can sure make you second guess what your eyes tell you sometimes...lol. I've owned diamonds in of several different color grades from F to J, and they ALL look sparkly and white to me! I'm not even sure if I believe in "color sensitive", but I do think some people are able to see color or warmth more easily than others. I can, but I wouldn't consider myself color sensitive in the least. Color and tint don't effect my appreciation of a diamond at all. What I look for is sparkle, fire, and brilliance more than color. My personal hangup is clarity. I don't want anything that has any visible inclusions, even with a loupe.

I hope you get your diamond soon!

mahende

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.......what you have said helps a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results