shape
carat
color
clarity

Is There A Cut Advisor For Old Mine Cut Stones And Other Shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I love the Holloway Cut Advisor, but when I am entering old cut stones'' dimensions,
it always says, "the girdle is overly thick...." and I want to be able to see how the "ideal"
cut recommendations for old mine cut and transitional rounds......

Thanks
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.. HCA only works for rounds and, if you look over Garry''s posts, you will find some explanation that other shapes are too intricate to make a HCA-equivalent reasonably easy to use and acurate...

OEC should work though because they are so close to the round brilliant - if you can find one with the required numbers that is. I do not know if the HCA scores are tuned to make sense for proportions wildely different from the mainstream modern rounds though.

There is an AGA table for the old cuts that was talked about earlier on and probably some posters have it (I do not).

This is all I know...

... unless you want to make use of DiamCalc somehow. That one has a cut scoring grid as well (a bit different than HCA). You can see what the scores look like on the free Diamond Adviser viewer (the download is available from a link at GoodOldGold and elsewhere - on OctoNus website). To play around with the old mine model in there you need the full version though (preciey & otherwise useless). There is free software designed for the same function (say, GemCad) but it is not as good looking, easy going or sophisticated. IMO - not worth it unless you fnd this sort of things fun or useful. For me, they are fun enough.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only suggest that you get an experts opinon on a specific stone. I understand that Dave Atlas specializes in old mine cut diamonds.

Perry

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
too many variables
lower girdle lengths etc
and so few would score well anyway

But if you have a reasonable stone the scan proportios should work unless the stone really does have a very very thick or too thin girdle.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a chart for old European cut round outline diamonds on my website, but it does not work for cushion, old mine cuts. You must select these cuts with your eyes, but you can use the chart on rounds as a screening tool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results