shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the size differnece easily visible in ideals .6 to .8 carat, specifically ACA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

first diamond

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy an engagement diamond (my first diamond ever) and have decided on a round ideal in the range of $2-3000. I came across PS and have looked at many vendors and buying guides. I like the ability to see for myself the idealscope images on Whiteflash in their ACA diamonds.

My question is how noticable is the visible difference in a size of .6 to a .8. I have read that the ideal cuts are cut better than most diamonds in the market today, at varying percentages (better than 99%, 95% etc.). So they are much more brilliant than most diamonds and therefore appear larger. Some diamonds I have looked at from whiteflash in the .6 range are at about $1800 -$2000 and the spread is around 5.4- 5.5 mm. the .75-.80 run well over $3000 and the spread is around 6mm. Is the extra .5 mm really that visible for the increase in price?

My searches have been G-H and vs2- si2, so I am comprimising a little in color and clarity and placing emphasis on the best cut.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my opinion 1/2 mm in that size will be noticable.
When you get up into the 2+ct range it isnt as noticable.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, there will be a difference. more so if the stones are compared side by side. really only you can decide if the relative increase in size is worth the increase in price.

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
There is a noticible size difference...don''t forget that .60 + .20 is a 33% increase in size....that is something that you can see...

All the best in your diamond search!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about these guys:

0.74 G-SI1 - 3k

and

0.8 H-SI1 - 3k

There were others G/H VS2-SI1 around 3k on the list as well. Given size, the color grades will really not make much difference (they become more noticeable the larger the stone). VS2 would be the safe bet, and SI1 is quite safe especially given pictures and clarity plots shown.

There are a few more listed at Wink's that don't seem to appear on Pricescope's search for some reason. Look HERE.
Among those, 0.8 G-VS2 $3225 and one 0.72 F-VS2 that doesn't have a picture listed yet.

Just an idea...

Either Wink, or WF or DCD carry rather nice settings. I have no reason to prefer one over the next, but with one design in mind, one shop might fir better. What will the ring look like ?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ana,
The stone you posted is awesome!!!!

first diamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, Anna especially. Those you posted are right in line with what I am looking for. I haven''t put near as much thought and research into the setting. I am considering getting a simple solitare and letting her decide if she wants something else after I give it to her.

Are there any other vendors that have IdealScope images available? I had run into Winks in the early stages of my search but had not noticed those images as I was not looking for them at that point. I wont actually be buying in the near future, as I wont be proposing for many months to come, due to my being in Iraq on deployment. The diamonds I am looking at right now will most likely be sold by then, and I am more looking to refine my search as to where I will be buying and what grade.

Thanks again,

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the others that a difference between .6 and .8 would be noticed. Are you going to propose after you get back from Iraq? If so, maybe the two of you could go ring shopping together? Tell her that you want to see how different things look on her hand (or some other such thing). Speaking from a woman''s point of view, going ring shopping for an e-ring is fun! Good luck and stay safe....

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I went from a 0.55ct (5.35mm) to a 0.72ct (5.85mm) and while the difference was noticable, it wasn''t "that" noticable. I thought the size difference would be more noticable than it was so I was slightly disappointed, as the 0.72ct cost twice as much as the 0.55ct. My family members didn''t even notice that I had gotten the bigger stone.

They say that .10mm is noticable to the eye. It also will be less noticable once the diamond is set.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I thought that my first diamond was about .60 (it later turned out to be .54c).

I could definitely notice a difference between my stone and a 3/4 carat stone.

To me, at that time, the difference was HUGE!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I agree w/ the others... I think the size difference will be noticeable.

And the thing about diamonds that most newbies don't know yet is that there's this weird, supernatural phenomenon called "Shrinkage"... it happens to lots of folks and when you least expect it. The diamond just seems to grow smaller and smaller, till it looks like the mere tiniest chip to the eyes of the wearer! Getting a bigger stone to start with MAY prolong the onset of the syndrome -- although there are no guarantees with that.
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Seriously, keeping cut as your first priority, I would drop down in color or clarity (I just got a new SI2 that is awesome, and totally eye-clean) to get as big a diamond as possible. Not many girls have ever thought, "Oh, I wish my diamond were a little smaller..."
31.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results