shape
carat
color
clarity

Is something wrong with my ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

igo8383

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I just bought an estate ring from a very respectable jeweler in SF. It has an old European cut 2ct diamond (J color, and SI-1 clarity) set on a platinum band. We bought it for ~$8K. But when we did an internet search on similar rings, we found that a similar diamond can cost as much as $12k. Why is my ring so cheap in comparison to that? Any advice? Thanks!
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
igo,
That price does seem low for and OEC of that size. Do you have paper work on the stone, was it certified??? I ask as I did a replacement stone for my SIL that lost her OEC out of her setting and I paid about 11.5K for her stone and it is smaller than yours. I did a massive search for her as the good ones are hard to come by. But here''s the thing, if you love it and it sparkles, then I wouldn''t worry about it. You could have gotten a great deal. When you bought it did you take it to an appraiser??? How long ago was it purchased????

igo8383

Rough_Rock
I bought it last Sat. The store will be mailing the paperwork on the ring to us. Exactly, I''m worried about getting ripped off. Hardr to believe, though, since we bought it from an established store. Plus, we were told that we can return the ring within 30 days. Since the ring is old, it does have scratches. I brought it back to the store on Sun and they told me that they can fix it up. Well, at least the diamond does sparkle.
7.gif
(worried)

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''d take it to an independent appraiser to know for sure what I have.

The price does seem low to me, too. hmmm interesting!

If you learn anything more about your ring (or if you''d like to post a picture..hint hint..) please check back with an update!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all don''t worry!!!! Yes many of these stones have some wear and tear, and those scratches can be polished out. My main concern for you is that you are getting what they say you are getting and the only way you will know that is to take it to an appraiser. Do a search on PS, I''m sure there will be an appraiser in the SF area. That will put your mind at ease. Tell the jeweler that you want to get it appraised by an independent appraiser, and go from there. The one''s listed by PS are very trust worthy and it''s worth the extra step, IMHO. I did it with the stone I bought for my SIL and was glad I did. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Perfect! Within that thirty day period you can get it appraised.

Since you obviously love the ring, it sounds to me like you found a really good value unless there''s something seriously wrong.

Good luck, and let us know what you learn!

w.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
SOunds to me like a case of over-grading to me.
A few color grades off, and all of a sudden the price makes sense.
Sure it''s possible you bouht a diamond GIA would grade J/SI for the price- but it is unlilkely.

The good news is that you love the diamond- if it''s a K or an L, your feelings need not change

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Prices on estate jewelery are FAR more subjective than retail pricing. The stone may have some condition issues. The stone may have been purchased at a great price - passing the savings on to you.

To put your mind at ease, as already noted - take the ring to an independent appraiser. It''s really the only way to know *exactly* what you bought.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, if it will ease your mind take to an indepentant appraiser. My parents consigned my grandmother''s 2.22 OEC in a plat. filigree setting and it sold for under $8000. the stone wasn''t certified and we guess maybe k-m color. it was absolutey GORGOUS and i''m very sad that they sold it
39.gif
But someone out there got a great deal and a great piece of history, sounds like you did
too
36.gif

igo8383

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone. It defintely makes me feel better after hearing from you. I guess I''ll have the ring independently appraised. I hope it isn''t too expensive to do that.
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Of course, now you have to post pictures so we can all enjoy!
2.gif

(I LOVE OECs!!)

widget

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement and your new OEC ring. I just recently bought one (it came with a half eternity wedding band) that was 1.35 M color, VS2 for $3350.00. It appraised for double that. Most of the time, estate peices and antique jewelry are cheaper than new jewelry especially because of wear and tear. It may have minor chips in the girdle-which I believe is not uncommon with older stones, that may detract from the price (mine has some and it by no means detracts from the beauty!). I''m sure you got a great deal. I love these stones and it sounds like you love yours too. Please post pictures I''m sure everyone is excited to see it. The apprasial shouldnt'' be too much I think between $75 and $200.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results