shape
carat
color
clarity

Is pursuing goldsmithing and jewelry making as a hobby a crazy idea?

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I’ve liked jewelry since I was a kid, I have a degree in fine art and do a lot of fine motor skill based hobbies like knitting and drawing. but the one hobby that has invaded me is jewelry making - specifically gold/fine jewelry. I took one silver class in high school but the place closed. I haven’t had the time to try something like that since.

I’m about to graduate with my graduate degree, and my husband and I already agreed I can take the summer off to recover from burnout and begin looking around for jobs in my field. This is probably the last time I will have a large block of time off for the foreseeable future.

A few jewelers have told me about New Approach in Tennessee, and I don’t live that far from the GIA school in Carlsbad. I was thinking of finally taking the plunge into a couple of bench jewelry making classes, because I have the savings to pay for it and cover our bills.

My main concern is that this won’t be a feasible hobby to do myself afterwards, equipment & cost wise. I don’t want to end up in a situation where I need to spend 10 grand for even a basic set up. I wouldn’t mind working part-time somewhere on weekends doing repairs to improve, but I don’t know how likely that is.

So for those that are jewelry designers, is this a dumb idea? I’d love to sit and hand carve tiny fiddly details all weekend and wear my own work, but if it’s a bad idea I’d appreciate the honesty!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler I work with got a technical school degree after he retired. He bought a used bench from a closed store, works out of his basement and advertises on craigslist. He repairs, sets stones and replaces lost melee. He has an account with Stuller and has made many things for me, and with his very low overhead his fees are really reasonable.
If you can fix things, you'll be busy. This gentleman is in some demand and his customers appreciate his honesty, a change from the many scoundrels at local jewelery stores.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound like me. I've always loved jewelry since I was a small child. And I also have an art degree.
Just do it.
Ask around and find someone who will sit down with you and teach you the basics.
That's what I did, to learn silversmithing. But it takes perseverance and a very long time to get good at it.
Good luck!

Last edited:

tomato

Shiny_Rock
The jeweler I work with got a technical school degree after he retired. He bought a used bench from a closed store, works out of his basement and advertises on craigslist. He repairs, sets stones and replaces lost melee. He has an account with Stuller and has made many things for me, and with his very low overhead his fees are really reasonable.
If you can fix things, you'll be busy. This gentleman is in some demand and his customers appreciate his honesty, a change from the many scoundrels at local jewelery stores.
Interesting! This was basically my thought. Take lessons now, putter around learning as I have time on weekends and evenings, then when I retire doing repairs or small jobs can be my way to earn a bit of income to supplement retirement income and keep me busy. Glad he’s doing well.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Life is too short (and can be very hard) to poopoo away anything that might bring you joy. The way I look at hobbies is, you can always sell the tools/equipment if you decide it is not for you, but you will have gained the experience along the way. I say go for it!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life is too short (and can be very hard) to poopoo away anything that might bring you joy. The way I look at hobbies is, you can always sell the tools/equipment if you decide it is not for you, but you will have gained the experience along the way. I say go for it!

Considering how much my husband has spent on cycling (an eye watering amount) but how much absolute JOY it brings him, I agree.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve liked jewelry since I was a kid, I have a degree in fine art and do a lot of fine motor skill based hobbies like knitting and drawing. but the one hobby that has invaded me is jewelry making - specifically gold/fine jewelry. I took one silver class in high school but the place closed. I haven’t had the time to try something like that since.

I’m about to graduate with my graduate degree, and my husband and I already agreed I can take the summer off to recover from burnout and begin looking around for jobs in my field. This is probably the last time I will have a large block of time off for the foreseeable future.

A few jewelers have told me about New Approach in Tennessee, and I don’t live that far from the GIA school in Carlsbad. I was thinking of finally taking the plunge into a couple of bench jewelry making classes, because I have the savings to pay for it and cover our bills.

My main concern is that this won’t be a feasible hobby to do myself afterwards, equipment & cost wise. I don’t want to end up in a situation where I need to spend 10 grand for even a basic set up. I wouldn’t mind working part-time somewhere on weekends doing repairs to improve, but I don’t know how likely that is.

So for those that are jewelry designers, is this a dumb idea? I’d love to sit and hand carve tiny fiddly details all weekend and wear my own work, but if it’s a bad idea I’d appreciate the honesty!

I'd say there is a difference between being artisan and a jeweller. Being a jeweller takes many years of apprenticeship and know-how. Being an artisan, like a silversmith working with cabochons and such is easier, and you don't need super fancy tools.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
It ended up not mattering, since New Approach has no spots available in any of their core classes except the long term one. I’m guessing other people are in the same boat and can’t drop everything to move to TN for months. It’s also much more expensive (~$18k, not including lodging), understandably. I do wish they’d offer more short term core classes, but it’s their business, not mine! :) Their other courses (which are open) require pre-requisite knowledge. Oh well!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It ended up not mattering, since New Approach has no spots available in any of their core classes except the long term one. I’m guessing other people are in the same boat and can’t drop everything to move to TN for months. It’s also much more expensive (~$18k, not including lodging), understandably. I do wish they’d offer more short term core classes, but it’s their business, not mine! :) Their other courses (which are open) require pre-requisite knowledge. Oh well!

Hey don't give up just yet, maybe find someone local who can teach you. An artisan or silversmith. In the UK there are classes like that in various places.
Also check out silversmithing videos on Youtube, plenty of stuff to learn.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound like me. I've always loved jewelry since I was a small child. And I also have an art degree.
Just do it.
Ask around and find someone who will sit down with you and teach you the basics.
That's what I did, to learn silversmithing. But it takes perseverance and a very long time to get good at it.
Good luck!

@stracci2000 Beat me to it. Find a local gold or silversmithing group and ask about joining them. They make know of someone who will agree to take on an apprentice. Takes time but is very rewarding. Maybe your local University has a program that can provide networking/contacts for you.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
@stracci2000 Beat me to it. Find a local gold or silversmithing group and ask about joining them. They make know of someone who will agree to take on an apprentice. Takes time but is very rewarding. Maybe your local University has a program that can provide networking/contacts for you.

Hi, I have already asked around locally (within a 2 hour radius anyway) and not found someone willing to do so. They are happy to talk jewelry but have too much of their own work to finish on a schedule to teach someone totally brand new, which I understand.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have already asked around locally (within a 2 hour radius anyway) and not found someone willing to do so. They are happy to talk jewelry but have too much of their own work to finish on a schedule to teach someone totally brand new, which I understand.

Ask if you can go and (just) observe. See how the process--b/c it is a big job and a meticulous process--works. That way you can see if it is for you. Just a thought.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I am gonna check out youtube and see if I can find some videos/courses on there. I just prefer to learn something hands on with a teacher to correct errors when I’m early in the learning process, because it keeps bad habits or mistakes from crystallizing into my methods the further I go. :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am gonna check out youtube and see if I can find some videos/courses on there. I just prefer to learn something hands on with a teacher to correct errors when I’m early in the learning process, because it keeps bad habits or mistakes from crystallizing into my methods the further I go. :)
I don't know what part of the world you're in, but......
There's gotta be some craftsperson/artisan jeweler somewhere in your town who could help you.
Are there any shops or boutiques in your area that sell handcrafted jewelry?
Those shops would have connections.
Maybe they could give you names of local metalsmiths who might take you on as a student.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Youtube university is always open ;-) Grab some tools from riogrande and just play. Very inexpensive way of seeing if you'd enjoy it!

Fiddle in carving?
Yes -this!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
or
Watch youtube videos on setting stones.
Then buy a rotary flex shaft tool on amazon in the $100-$150 range,
bulk 6mm czs and some cheap silver earring findings to match(cheaper than rings) and a 5x magnifying visor.
Then go to youtube and watch a bunch of vids again on setting stones and set a bunch of them.

*Avoid the cheapest ones but unless your using it 8 hours a day every day there is no need to spend $1k+
The difference is the very high priced ones are smoother and better balanced for less vibration which is easier on the hands after hours of use.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe if you find someone who needs other kind of help, you can do that in exchange for them teaching you? Kind of a bartering situation.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

dont loose hope
perhaps there is a different course you could take somehwere

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results