shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my diamond skewed????

dilly

Rough_Rock
I just received my asscher cut diamond for inspection before we sent it off to be set on the ring.
Now I'm a geometric freak and at once glance, I felt the sides are skewed like a rhombus and that one side of the corner is longer than the other 3 sides.
Can anyone notice this or am I crazy?
Does this happen often to asscher cut?
Should I send it back?
Other than the proportions I'm happy with the rest of it but I can't seem to get past this naggy feeling in my gut. Your comments will be much appreciated.

_22824.jpg

_22825.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, not seeing it.

dilly

Rough_Rock
In the first photo, the left side bottom area seems longer than the rest.
In the second photo, which is a 180 degrees rotation of the first, the right hand side bottom seems to be longer than the rest

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
dilly|1412116038|3759441 said:
In the first photo, the left side bottom area seems longer than the rest.
In the second photo, which is a 180 degrees rotation of the first, the right hand side bottom seems to be longer than the rest

I am a symmetry guy (not just in regards to diamonds), and I think I see what you're talking about.

I don't know if it is just a result of the pictures, but this definitely doesn't feel like four 90degree angles.

I would probably return the stone, as I know I would always think about the asymmetry whenever I looked at the stone.

Again, it might be a result of the pictures, but if you observe this in real life as well, I would send it back. This stone will never be 'mind-clean' for you if you are already concerned.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hard to say from the photos, but there does appear to be a minuscule difference in one of the corners. It wold be easy enough to measure the width at the top of the left and right sides and at the bottom with a good micrometer gauge, but in reality it does not matter. If you do not like the diamond, send it back.

That is why you always buy only from vendors with a good return policy. If you are not happy, do not keep it.

It does not really matter why, or even if you are seeing something that does not exist. PERIOD! Those are YOUR EYES and since they do not like it, it matters not what we think.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rocky beat me to it! So, had I come to the thread later I would have said, "YEAH, what Rocky said!"

Wink

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I see it, but I don't know how much is lighting, suggestion, etc. I think you need to find a way to accurately draw the perimeter so you can measure the sides and angles. The first thing that comes my mind is to make an impression in modeling clay. but there must be an easier way... take a picture with the stone face-down on a scanner, and then expand that image?

ETA - what they said! :D

dilly

Rough_Rock
I set it on the phone grid. So you see, it is indeed tiny wider at 2 sides versus the opposite end.
I hope I don't upset my fiancé because he's based overseas and we are purchasing it online so he doesn't even get to see it in person until a day before our wedding!

Also, now that I've checked others online, I can see it in a few others too. Doh! What am I going to do if the next one is like this too?!?
And btw, the profile of this diamond was Symmetry - Excellent; Polish - Excellent. GIA. But I'm really not seeing it. It's the first thing that caught my eye and bugged me the moment I opened the envelop

_22829.jpg

_22830.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
dilly|1412120203|3759484 said:
It's the first thing that caught my eye and bugged me the moment I opened the envelop
Then send it back and start over.
If it bugged you that quickly it is always going to bug you, that means it is not the right diamond for you.
Ask your vendor to check it for you on diamonds your considering.

dilly

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. Yes I think I'll have to send it back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results