shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it un-ethical to buy fake designer purses and jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I was visiting another site and a discussion was started about the ethics of buying fake designer bags,watches,and jewelry.I say its un-ethical because it takes money out of the pockets of the people who own copyrights on their designs and work.It supports crime and copyright infrigement is illegal...what are the opinions of this forum....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For truly unique pieces, I think it's unethical.

Copyrights on designs/work, yes.

Trademark infringements, supporting crime, I don't care about. Trademark infringement is all about protecting the $$$ of the company. Like fake jeans... um, yeah. They're jeans! Not really unique... Crime, as to it's legalty...if you stopped all the knockoffs do you think the organized crime people would get legit jobs? NO. They'll just do other things, possibly more harmful, like drugs, prostitution, etc.

I'm not going to get into the ethics of spending $$$ on designers when people can't eat.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
My concerns are more to the fact that counterfeit goods finance finance illegal activity. Moreover terrorist activity So I won''t buy anything that is not authentic because of this first and foremost.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 3:58:52 AM
Author: katebar
My concerns are more to the fact that counterfeit goods finance finance illegal activity. Moreover terrorist activity So I won''t buy anything that is not authentic because of this first and foremost.

Ditto. That and the copyright issue bothers me as well. I don''t judge people who buy them..but it''s something I do NOT do.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with the points made however we also need to be cogniscant of the reasons why there are so many counterfeited goods out there.

Its unethical the prices some designers charge for their goods. A lot of the time its down to perception and that you are getting a better quality of goods but that''s not always the case.

We live in a very materialistic society in the West and consumers will always want designer goods whether they are fake or otherwise and if you can buy a fake Prada purse for 40 notes verses 400 then many people see that they''ve got what they want and saved the money too thus the cycle of counterfeited goods continue.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I think it is unethical. Counterfeit goods are a HUGE part of the child-labour market. A $40 LV has more than likely been made by a child and one getting paid an abombinable amount for a days work - being made in France by the company itself does mean something, in that the person stitching it together is paid a fair wage.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Yes.. I think it is unethical.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is often a case of design/copyright infringement and the companies are always trying to protect their interests and stamp out counterfeiters.

goldfish

Rough_Rock
I think it is unethical.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 7:44:02 AM
Author: Blackpaw
I think it is unethical. Counterfeit goods are a HUGE part of the child-labour market. A $40 LV has more than likely been made by a child and one getting paid an abombinable amount for a days work - being made in France by the company itself does mean something, in that the person stitching it together is paid a fair wage.
Many high end products are made in China! Nearly everything is made in china, including Burberry (a few months back, a PS member contemplated returning her *real* bag because it cost $400 and was made in China).

Is the talliban making fake LV purses? I thought they grew poppies? I doubt the profit from fake bags is truely financing terrorism considering how cheap fake bags are!

I'm not trying to start a debate as personally, I'm not into buying fake goods. I buy high end jeans and "regular" handbags because that is what I can afford. . .but I do not see how fake bags are the ROOT of all crime!

burberry/china : https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-burberry-bag.66221/

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel that it is unethical...and it is illegal.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t buy either-I''d much rather save for the real thing.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I agree completely. I wouldn''t buy anything that isn''t ligit. The idea that it could help fund terrorism, scares me.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s unethical, and I just don''t want to carry around a fake bag. Maybe it''s the Leo in me that likes luxury goods, but I just like having the real thing. It''s funny, because a couple of years ago I bought what I was told was a used Louis Vuitton bag on eBay for $600, and when I got it, it was new, but it was counterfeit. It was a PERFECT counterfeit, but I brought it to the Louis Vuitton store in my area to have it checked out, and the rep there confirmed that even though it was one of the best fakes she''d ever seen, it was still a fake.

I was really upset that I had spent $600, so I ended up reporting it to American Express and I got my money back. The vendor didn''t even ask me to return the purse, though, which proves that it was not worth much. I ended up just giving it to a friend because the whole thing just left me feeling icky. My husband wondered why I just didn''t keep it & use it since no one else would be able to tell that it was a fake, but I guess that I''m just weird like that ...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I believe so--however, that isn't to say that I didn't once shop Canal St in NYC and come back with the most ugly fake LV Damier ever :) :) :) Oh, and a fake Cartier Watch too :) :) :) Then, after a day, I felt guilty. I gave them away, and went out and purchased the real bag in NYC. I am still waiting on the watch though :)

Vesper-Do Leo's like luxury goods? No wonder I shop a little too much at stores I probably shouldn't :) If I didn't shop as much, I could have a slightly larger home! However, of all the stores, the one place I would love to browse in is DF's closet :)

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
MC - I didnt say anything about terorism, ive heard that said that counterfeit goods fund terrorism but i dont know anything about it! That said, there''s a difference between companies making use of cheap labour in china, and the manufacturing of fakes, which is completely unregulated. And while i have no doubt that a lot of high end labels are made in china (ralph lauren i know is?), genuine louis vuittons are made in france, but their fakes are not, which i why i used them to illustrate the point!

Not trying to be defensive i just didnt want to be associated with the terrorism stuff - not a debate id like to get into!! I for one also think the prices these companies charge for their good is criminal too
21.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends if its unique and if the name is used.
Using the name is deception and illegal.
Being close in design is neither illegal nor un-ethical in many cases.
I would like to see the link between terrorism and the common close copies actually documented.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 6:43:22 AM
Author: Blackpaw
MC - I didnt say anything about terorism, ive heard that said that counterfeit goods fund terrorism but i dont know anything about it! That said, there's a difference between companies making use of cheap labour in china, and the manufacturing of fakes, which is completely unregulated. And while i have no doubt that a lot of high end labels are made in china (ralph lauren i know is?), genuine louis vuittons are made in france, but their fakes are not, which i why i used them to illustrate the point!

Not trying to be defensive i just didnt want to be associated with the terrorism stuff - not a debate id like to get into!! I for one also think the prices these companies charge for their good is criminal too
21.gif
I was responding to two posts. As far as yours, designers have gone from manufacturing in countries like France to now producing in China. Coach for example has their products made there and I DO think it's to take advantage of children in China. Isn't that the point? Saving money. Cutting corners. Using cheap labor!

Katebar said that fake products fund terrorism. Like Strmrdr, I'd like to know more about hard evidence. The internet has tons of "media" coverage of that being the case, but I am one who doesn't believe everything I read and I do not think buying a fake purse will be the downfall of any world culture. American taxes have funded the war in Iraq. I guess if we REALLY want to boycott funding blood wars, we should all quit paying our taxes. That would do more good than bypassing a cheap knock-off of a LV or Coach purse. And, imagine if we did stop paying taxes, how many real designer bags we could afford then!
2.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought one knock-off bag when I was a starving student, but now that I can afford (or save to afford) the real thing, I''d much rather have an authentic LV, Chanel, etc.

In regards to the ''child labour'' debate, I think it''s a poor assumption to assume that everything being manufactured in China is through child labour and in warehouses where workers are surviving on pennies a day. I used to work for lululemon (I am Canadian but lulu has grown drastically in the past couple of years so I''m sure you''re all familiar) and when the company started growing and they were unable to continue manufacturing all of their products in Vancouver, they began outsourcing to manufacturers in China and Sri Lanka and there was a huge uproar. lululemon was determined to be an ethically sound company so they educated us employees on the topic while addressing the media frenzy at the same time.

What I think people forget is that the number of skilled workers and the actual facilities available in North America differ considerably than that in China. While yes, the labour is probably cheaper, that doesn''t mean labour laws aren''t enforced to ensure fair wages and good working conditions...which was the case for lululemon. I don''t have a ton of information on the topic as it was a couple of years ago, but I just wanted to make the point that Chinese labour does not equal child labour.

(nor does fake designer purse = terrorism funding ???!?!?!?!!? - wow...I''d love to see some evidence of that!)

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 10:11:24 AM
Author: strmrdr
Depends if its unique and if the name is used.
Using the name is deception and illegal.
Being close in design is neither illegal nor un-ethical in many cases.
I would like to see the link between terrorism and the common close copies actually documented.
Stmdr there have been a number of programs here in Australia investigating this particularly in Malaysia and Thailand. If there is any doubt that my dollar could fund an illegal activity and whether I''m buying a handbag, a ticket to a football game or a TV that fell of the back of a truck I won''t support it + You get what your pay for and there is no way way a knock off even it is is supposedly made in the ''same'' factory as the ''real'' thing stacks up!
http://news.staging.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/nyc_campaign_shows_dark_side_of_fakes_547112

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think it''s unethical in the sense that I doubt the "real" designer loses much. The people that buy the fakes can''t afford the real thing so if there were no fakes, they still wouldn''t buy the real thing because they still couldn''t afford it.

I do think it''s REALLY tacky and I can''t emphasize it enough. bags, sunglasses etc. looking similar is hard to avoid since fashion trends are fashion trends. But a monogrammed LV fake or fake prada is just tacky.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 2:04:25 PM
Author: Diamond Confused
I don''t think it''s unethical in the sense that I doubt the ''real'' designer loses much. The people that buy the fakes can''t afford the real thing so if there were no fakes, they still wouldn''t buy the real thing because they still couldn''t afford it.

I do think it''s REALLY tacky and I can''t emphasize it enough. bags, sunglasses etc. looking similar is hard to avoid since fashion trends are fashion trends. But a monogrammed LV fake or fake prada is just tacky.

I was waiting for that. It''s kind of like downloading music, the artist does loose money which is why I always buy my music and I always purchase anything designer at the proper place. Above all, it is extremely tacky. I understand people aspire to have things that can''t afford, but when they buy fakes, it just kind of cheapens them even more.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
DC and PennQuaker09-I agree it is tacky (wanted to write about how I bought the fakes, felt guilty AND tacky but didn't want to offend anyone!). I would NEVER carry it outside of the house...if you can't afford the real thing, don't buy it (and purchase something nice you can afford!). Personally though, I don't like things with the brand all over, so I am not a huge LV fan (although the shapes of their bags are amazing!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Storm, I don''t have a problem with using similar designs or shapes. I DO have a problem when copying logos or using another company''s branding or name. That''s where the line is drawn for me.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 2:04:25 PM
Author: Diamond Confused
I don''t think it''s unethical in the sense that I doubt the ''real'' designer loses much. The people that buy the fakes can''t afford the real thing so if there were no fakes, they still wouldn''t buy the real thing because they still couldn''t afford it.

I cant dis-agree more...the real or original designer does lose huge amounts of money...I worked at a Rolex dealer and saw first hand the paper work that showed the millions and millions of dollars that Rolex and its sales associates lost not only on lost sales ,but the millions and millions that were lost in Legal fees world wide fighting in courts over copy right infringement...I also remember jewelry designer David Yerman going through years of legal battles of the loss of millions due to his designs being ripped off...now today you see how Tiffany and Company has suffered huge losses to design rip-offs on e-bay.Designers work hard to develope designs that have wide appeal and are popular enough to be copyrighted. There are people behind the big company brand name logos that worked hard to come up with the designs that are being ripped off.

corgan

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have a lot of money so therefore don''t have a lot of purses but the ones I do are all legit and I am very proud of that!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I rock a fake Coach as my beach/trip bag.

When I lived in NY I was very young (left at 12) so I never experienced Canal Street. When my FI And I visited with friends of his, we decided to take a stroll over to see what it was all about. The whole process of getting the Coach bag was hilarious. We bought it for $35 with the man trying to tell us that it was real. Being an owner of a number of Coach bags, I could tell it was a fake but I still bought it and whenever someone sees it I tell them my story of getting the bag from Canal Street.

I didn''t buy it thinking about the ethics behind it or with the intention of pretending it was real. I got it cause the whole event really was hilarious and like nothing I''ve ever seen before.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Is this the question/discussion "the ethics of buying fake designer bags"?

How are we defining un-ethical?

My short answer would be: Fake designer goods = illegal = unethical.

This is on the basis that what is illegal is unethical. While needs can mitigate circumstances to allow a defence for illegality I doubt any consumer could claim (e.g) self defence or necessity as a defence to such illegality. Now is it illegal to buy a fake purse I thought it was just to sell one? If just the latter then you are still directly supporting crime; activity which is illegal.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 12:26:50 PM
Author: Steel
Is this the question/discussion ''the ethics of buying fake designer bags''?

How are we defining un-ethical?

My short answer would be: Fake designer goods = illegal = unethical.

This is on the basis that what is illegal is unethical. While needs can mitigate circumstances to allow a defence for illegality I doubt any consumer could claim (e.g) self defence or necessity as a defence to such illegality. Now is it illegal to buy a fake purse I thought it was just to sell one? If just the latter then you are still directly supporting crime; activity which is illegal.
I AGREE.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
I not only think that it is unethical, but I also think that it is tasteless.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results